League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Insiders Believe Dion Waiters Will Become RFA

NanashiWake
Senior Vice President

Insiders Believe Dion Waiters Will Become RFA

Post by NanashiWake »

It's a true shame we weren't able to get something done during this season. We tried our hardest but were just too far apart in our valuation of him as a player. However, although I can't guarantee 100%, I will say...the current plan is to sign Dion Waiters back as a Wizard this off-season.
- NanashiWake
Dion Waiters arrived in Washington roughly a month ago, and word is that the Wizards quickly reached out to his agent to find out if an extension was a possibility. Initially it seemed that a deal was possible, but eventually talks grew further and further apart. At one point the Wizards apparently offered an extension with a 8-digit starting salary and Dion was still adamant to test free agency.
Waiters has been great for both the Cavaliers and Wizards this season. It's not easy to anticipate how free-agency will go since it's so far away, but many that are close to the player believe Dion was very interested in seeking a 5-year deal to establish a long-term contract with a franchise. One thing is for sure, Waiters should garner quite a bit of attention this off-season, but how much? Also, are the Wizards really willing to pay any price to bring him back?
Year 1: 47-35 [[Washington Wizards]]
Year 2: 45-37 [[Washington Wizards]]
Year 3: Fired [[Portland Trailblazers]]

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Re: Insiders Believe Dion Waiters Will Become RFA

Post by Sun Scorched »

It will be interesting to see what happens - I can for sure see a lower-tier team with tons of cap space lobbing a max or near-max contract at him in order to acquire "free" talent.

"Free" by virtue of the fact that they don't have to trade for him and are signing a player with straight cap space.

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

And this is one huge reason I wasn't too hesitant to move him to regain my draft pick. Don't get me wrong, I like Waiters as a player. But as a guy known as a defensive stopper he has struggled on that end of the floor. He's a pretty good scorer but lacks range on his jumper. The money he's going to command was just much more than I was going to be willing to spend on him so I had to cash in while I still could. I hope you are able to retain him at a reasonable price but the cap space around the league is scary.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Yeah he's going to get way overpaid this offseason. We won't bidding for him, but others with huge cap space will.

Jaboo
General Manager

Post by Jaboo »

I can see a player like him getting near max. It wouldnt surprise me at all and I doubt I would consider it the largest overpay if he indeed did get it.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

With so much CAP and him being very very young, he's due to a big-time paycheck. I wont be surprised if this kid gets maxed.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Hes young, so I would bet he gets a max deal from someone. He has good ratings and puts up decent numbers too, which never hurt.