League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Max Free Agents

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Max Free Agents

Post by OneNole »

I would like to suggest a new free agent rule where if a player is an upcoming free agent and makes one of the 3 all csl teams, they will not sign an offer below max before day 10 of free agency. These players would never in real life and shouldn't do so here
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Re: Max Free Agents

Post by Dennis »

Only agree if a change results in a mentioning in your sig
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Additionally, I'd suggest creating a tier system. PAs have ignored a system rule this FA and the response seems to be there's no fixed rule for creating tiering

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

While I like the idea, DDS is gonna DDS after this off-season so I expect some players to sneak through (unless the logic has been upgraded significantly).

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Question: With the change to Max Salaries to mirror closer to the NBA, should we expect a change in the salary cap similar to what the NBA saw due to the TV contracts?
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

wms02a wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:28 pm Question: With the change to Max Salaries to mirror closer to the NBA, should we expect a change in the salary cap similar to what the NBA saw due to the TV contracts?
From what I've been reading around the forums, the answer is no. So we have to be careful with contracts from now on.

Apparently it will make things interesting and make more RFA not being matched. I think the idea is to get teams with bad owners to start competing with the better gm's. Better gm's get more talent and now will have to decide which talent they have to sacrifice.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Its interesting as I think last few seasons, when we discussed super max deals, the idea was to be able to differentiate megastars from stars and overpaid players. So the new super max was introduced. But GMs just signed top FAs to super max deals and now we are back to square one where Zion et al are making same money as tier 2 and 3 players. Interesting but I suspect the consequences will be pretty bad for the teams that just signed players like Morant and Simons to super max. I mean how impactful do they have to be to even live up to the contract? Morant at best is 16/7 so far and he'd have to pretty much double that impact to justify a ~3rd of cap annual cost.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

andrei wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:05 pm Its interesting as I think last few seasons, when we discussed super max deals, the idea was to be able to differentiate megastars from stars and overpaid players. So the new super max was introduced. But GMs just signed top FAs to super max deals and now we are back to square one where Zion et al are making same money as tier 2 and 3 players. Interesting but I suspect the consequences will be pretty bad for the teams that just signed players like Morant and Simons to super max. I mean how impactful do they have to be to even live up to the contract? Morant at best is 16/7 so far and he'd have to pretty much double that impact to justify a ~3rd of cap annual cost.
How is this any different than the NBA and their Max/SuperMax? Bradley Beal's contract is detrimental for WAS... I guess part of my strategy came from watching how NBA team reacted when Salary Cap jumped a few years ago and teams were stuck with bad contracts.

Part of my other reason for asking is just awareness. If cap jumps that means the Max jumps in $'s but also NBA teams had awareness it was coming since it was tied to the tv contract and could somewhat plan for it. Did they know the exact amount that cap would be? no, but they had a very good idea where it would be
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

to me its different because the salaries follow the CAP in NBA but here I did not see a discussion about raising the CAP. So that means the impact of the contracts this year is higher than before

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

andrei wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:22 pm to me its different because the salaries follow the CAP in NBA but here I did not see a discussion about raising the CAP. So that means the impact of the contracts this year is higher than before
Yeah they are back to the NBA percentages, where they hadn't been before. Unfortunately people in this league didn't adjust what they felt players were worth and just maxed everybody like nothing changed. The whole league will be in a cap crunch within two years, and the middle of the pack players will become massive bargains once nobody can pay them what they're worth.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

The nba adjusted and there will be adjustments here. I still think it will level the talent around in the league as there will always be 5 teams with cap to ensure the top players get paid

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

OneNole wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:56 pm The nba adjusted and there will be adjustments here. I still think it will level the talent around in the league as there will always be 5 teams with cap to ensure the top players get paid
the NBA adjusted because the cap rises every year and has doubled since 2014, so you can keep overpaying for your talent because in the later years of a long deal, it's a smaller piece of the pie.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

I'd vote No for cap increase - NBA do it because of real life revenue realities but there is no reason to do this in CSL.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Raising the cap would completely undo the point of the contract raises tbh

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

KW wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:23 pm
OneNole wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:56 pm The nba adjusted and there will be adjustments here. I still think it will level the talent around in the league as there will always be 5 teams with cap to ensure the top players get paid
the NBA adjusted because the cap rises every year and has doubled since 2014, so you can keep overpaying for your talent because in the later years of a long deal, it's a smaller piece of the pie.
That first year everyone got huge deals, that isnt the case anymore. The same adjustment will be made here in time

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Jestor wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:44 pm Raising the cap would completely undo the point of the contract raises tbh
No it wouldnt.... the max contracts are based off a % so as we raise the cap so do the sizes of max contracts
Dallas Maverick GM