League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Knicks off season review: Can Zion carry a team?

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Knicks off season review: Can Zion carry a team?

Post by Andrewu91 »

The New York Knicks went into a off-season with questions. Questions about what to do next after taking the Celtics to 6 games. With Zion out 2 games, they came up just short with confusion surrounding Zoosman and Zion and who would match up better with the Celtics.

After carefully looking at their roster, they knew what needed to be done...

Re-sign the core and try again! Yes, no changes. With only 24 million in cap before the hard tax, everything would be tight.

Surprisingly Zach Collins only wanted 9.2 million, so the Knicks quickly offered him 9.5 million flat for 4 years and a team option. He accepted and we now signed back one of the top shot blockers and another force down low.

When Zach Collins was getting minutes and before the last 12 games where he barely received any to reduce his stats, he was averaging close to 14 points, 9 rebounds and almost 3 blocks per game on great shooting.

So with Zach signed for 9.5 million, the Knicks had to decide between signing Kendrick Nunn who can play both PG/SG or Tyler Zero who barely produced in the post season. The answer was pretty simple. Kendrick Nunn wanted 8.8 million but he wasn't ever going to get that. Even though his statistics and ratings are similar to Lindell Wigginton and Markelle Fultz, he just wasn't worth an overpay.

So the day came and he signed for 7.1 million flat for 4 years and a team option. Not a bargain contract but definitely not an overpay.

With two keys players re-signed and the Knicks drafting Tyler Hero's replacement, there wasn't much else to do besides signing a backup power forward. There was a trade that would have gave them the perfect guy but another team snagged him.

Anyway Tyler Hero came running back after originally asking for 9 million but settling for 1 million. Personally, his agent needs to be fired.

Knicks ended up signing Vince Hunter and Justin Anderson to fill out the roster.

Bringing back the same roster minus Travis Trice but adding Garrison Mathews, Justin Anderson and Kobi Simmons.

So here we are, Zion being only 24 years young and every player on the team only having 4 year deals. Those 4 years will be the most crucial years in Knicks history. If the Knicks can't win in the next four years, Zion might be tradable and a rebuild might be the best option.

Until then, back at it and let's win that ring.

Ps: Kobi Simmons, Hero, Zoosman are all on the block. Too many guards and forwards on the roster. Need better power forward or picks.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Re: Knicks off season review: Can Zion carry a team?

Post by WillyJakkz »

With the Celtics Heat Bucks and Nets consistently being the class of the East along with your Knicks it's hard to see NY beating those teams in a 7 game series but you never know.

Seems like the Knicks current peak to me is Semi's or a favorable matchup in the Semi's to make the ECF's but not quite ECF Champs.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

I'm high on this team, Zion is a top 5 player (impact wise, not statistically) and he hasn't even hit his prime yet but I'm not sure the wings are good enough if teams can slow down your frontcourt. I think the key to the Knicks is Garrison Mathews, if he can be a competent 3&D plus guy and your other guys can defend I could see this team in the finals. That said, as you've mentioned our division is highly highly competitive and there won't be any easy wins amongst us.
Ball is Life.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

That is indeed the bi question, does Zion have it to go all the ways to the finals and then win it all!
So far Luka showed more in that regard but the overall talent of Zion is still just amazing.
The supporting cast is solid but the East is no joke and teams like Miami and Boston are just so talented overall and are a tough matchup during the playoffs. Zion, time to step up and show your cards.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

blackice wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:16 am I'm high on this team, Zion is a top 5 player (impact wise, not statistically) and he hasn't even hit his prime yet but I'm not sure the wings are good enough if teams can slow down your frontcourt. I think the key to the Knicks is Garrison Mathews, if he can be a competent 3&D plus guy and your other guys can defend I could see this team in the finals. That said, as you've mentioned our division is highly highly competitive and there won't be any easy wins amongst us.
Thanks. Garrison Mathews could be a key player. It's gonna be tough for sure

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Flaming Homer wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:17 pm That is indeed the bi question, does Zion have it to go all the ways to the finals and then win it all!
So far Luka showed more in that regard but the overall talent of Zion is still just amazing.
The supporting cast is solid but the East is no joke and teams like Miami and Boston are just so talented overall and are a tough matchup during the playoffs. Zion, time to step up and show your cards.
It's up to him. I gave him the talented supporting cast he needs to show he's worthy of being the franchise player.

He gotta show up come playoff time.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Everyone knows Zion is a franchise player.
Question is, can you build the team around him to win it all?
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Doncic is volume but Zion is overall the best player in the league, just need to put the right pieces around him or trade him to someone who can ;)
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

bt wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:46 am Doncic is volume but Zion is overall the best player in the league, just need to put the right pieces around him or trade him to someone who can ;)
Haha we have talked and know I might not have the most talented team, but the pieces I have is good enough.

"I BUILD AROUND ZION". I WILL turn down trades if I'm offered more talent because Zion is the MAIN GUY. I haven't been lucky in three years but I know with patience, everything will work out. Haha