League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Tanking

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Tanking

Post by Silogical »

Everyone hates tanking but no one cares enough to do anything about it. I look at the spurs and i like what they are doing. When the heat need a rebuild i would like to rebuild like them. Will I? no because its a terrible strategy the spurs will treadmil than will end up back at the bottom. Ill rebuild like the Bucks/Thunder, the easy sure-fire way. It takes longer but it leads somewhere. The bucks are elite and the thunder cashed-in all their collected assets for a ring.

Simple solution the 3 worst teams in the league draft 4th 5th 6th. The remaining enter the lottery for picks 1 2 3 7 8. This little adjustment will change what the optimal way to rebuild is. Being terrible will no longer be the optimal way to rebuild, fighting and clawing your way up the ranks will be the new optimal way to rebuild like the spurs.

As for the argument, "but the terrible GMs wont have a chance". The terrible GMs will never have a chance regardless what you do that's why they are terrible.

The fight to avoid bottom 3 will be as interesting as the fight for the last playoff spot.
Last edited by Silogical on Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Re: Tanking

Post by KW »

not happening

then you get the 10th-15 worst teams that might actually be a threat, not trying to compete and instead try to win 30 games for a top 5 pick

rather the teams that aren't a threat to anybody try to be worse than actually ok teams try to be worse

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

KW wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:35 pm not happening

then you get the 10th-15 worst teams that might actually be a threat, not trying to compete and instead try to win 30 games for a top 5 pick

rather the teams that aren't a threat to anybody try to be worse than actually ok teams try to be worse
30 wins will probably land you bottom 4 when everyone is trying to win. No one will tank in this system, the risk is way to high and all you get is slightly better odds.

Id like to meet the GM that is fighting for a playoffs spot but decides to give that up for a 5% chance at a top pick instead of a 1% chance.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Yea, that wont work. Way too easy for top GMs to manipulate. Look at the West last season, what incentive would the teams battling from seed 6-10 have at making the playoffs? Would be much more advantageous for them to miss the playoffs entirely than to fight to make it under this scenario.

5% at a top pick that can move you from average to elite is far better than be say New Orleans who will be stuck in the middle
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Silogical wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:39 pm
KW wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:35 pm not happening

30 wins will probably land you bottom 4 when everyone is trying to win. No one will tank in this system, the risk is way to high and all you get is slightly better odds.

Id like to meet the GM that is fighting for a playoffs spot but decides to give that up for a 5% chance at a top pick instead of a 1% chance.
if i'm a team on the bubble, say 35-40 wins, I've read all the draft articles about Luka and Zion coming into the league... I need 45 wins to make the playoffs to get blasted by the 1 or 2 seed, and now the rules change and 30 wins is gonna get me a top 5 pick, guess which direction I'm headed.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Also I don't think this proposal comes as a coincidence when you own Chicago's pick in a year where they're probably not going to be a bottom 5 team, but a team in the 6-10 range.

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

I am happy with my team.. i also was not expecting Smart to be this good
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

KW wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:09 pm Also I don't think this proposal comes as a coincidence when you own Chicago's pick in a year where they're probably not going to be a bottom 5 team, but a team in the 6-10 range.
a change like this would take years to implement. I would want this for when im ready to rebuild.

No team is going to tank early when they dont know what the cutoff is and when the payout is insignificant.

The difference between 5th worse and 8th worse isnt much. Its 14% vs 12.5%. tanking and risking a 0% is not worth it. Tanking from 14th(fighting for a playoff spot where anything can happen in the scl playoffs) down to 12th takes you from 3% to 6%. Who is throwing away a playoff run for that?

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

What did I miss?
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

I would rather be first team out than last team in anyway. Especially if I was in the weaker conference
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Obviously I don't like that. There will always be space for manipulating draft order by tanking. If bad teams don't have incentive to do that, someone will. And the chance of landing #1 overall is already fairly low with new lotto system in place

I don't see anyone currently tanking on purpose here. Bad teams like Hawks have traded all their talent and will lose games, but that's not on purpose. Teams like Wizards are playing their best players, when they could just tank for yet another shot at #1 and an even better young core. We're in a good spot overall.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

OneNole wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:42 pm I would rather be first team out than last team in anyway. Especially if I was in the weaker conference
If anything... I think my 2024 team showed anything can happen... no one pinned them to probably go past the 2nd round but we got to the finals....
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

wms02a wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:53 pm
OneNole wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:42 pm I would rather be first team out than last team in anyway. Especially if I was in the weaker conference
If anything... I think my 2024 team showed anything can happen... no one pinned them to probably go past the 2nd round but we got to the finals....
The GSW and Jazz a few years back made deep playoff runs. There is a huge upset every season in the playoffs. Anything can happen you just have to get in.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Silogical wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:27 pm Everyone hates tanking but no one cares enough to do anything about it. I look at the spurs and i like what they are doing. When the heat need a rebuild i would like to rebuild like them. Will I? no because its a terrible strategy the spurs will treadmil than will end up back at the bottom. Ill rebuild like the Bucks/Thunder, the easy sure-fire way. It takes longer but it leads somewhere. The bucks are elite and the thunder cashed-in all their collected assets for a ring.

Simple solution the 4 worst teams in the league draft 6th 7th 8th and 9th. The remaining enter the lottery for picks 1 2 3 4 and 5. This little adjustment will change what the optimal way to rebuild is. Being terrible will no longer be the optimal way to rebuild, fighting and clawing your way up the ranks will be the new optimal way to rebuild like the spurs.

As for the argument, "but the terrible GMs wont have a chance". The terrible GMs will never have a chance regardless what you do that's why they are terrible.

The fight to avoid bottom 4 will be as interesting as the fight for the last playoff spot.
True

I had to show Brett the correct way and right time to cash in my collected assets.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Vann_the_Red
General Manager

Post by Vann_the_Red »

Tanking is legit. Being over the cap is legit. In the NBA, the check on those is ownership. If we want to discourage either of those behaviors, stimulate the ownership check by placing an increasing chance the GM gets fired for each successive year of tanking or overspending.

Or maybe we don't care.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Vann_the_Red wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:03 am Tanking is legit. Being over the cap is legit. In the NBA, the check on those is ownership. If we want to discourage either of those behaviors, stimulate the ownership check by placing an increasing chance the GM gets fired for each successive year of tanking or overspending.

Or maybe we don't care.
We care but barely any effort is being put into bringing new gm's in the league. A post here and there doesn't count. The CSL product is suffering from bad trades from bad gm's and it will remain that way until leadership fixes this issue.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Andrewu91 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:22 am
Vann_the_Red wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:03 am Tanking is legit. Being over the cap is legit. In the NBA, the check on those is ownership. If we want to discourage either of those behaviors, stimulate the ownership check by placing an increasing chance the GM gets fired for each successive year of tanking or overspending.

Or maybe we don't care.
We care but barely any effort is being put into bringing new gm's in the league. A post here and there doesn't count. The CSL product is suffering from bad trades from bad gm's and it will remain that way until leadership fixes this issue.
Step 1: bring in someone that can win a title with Zion and JJJ

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Haha