League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

The Curious Case Of Henry Ellenson

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
thecoolestjedi
General Manager

The Curious Case Of Henry Ellenson

Post by thecoolestjedi »

Since trading for Power Forward, Henry Ellenson in early January; Phoenix Suns management has reportedly been less than impressed with the production from what they figured would be a nice compliment as a stretch 4 off the bench. Ellenson has had a rough patch of both shooting from inside and beyond the arc since arriving to the Suns and has both puzzled and confused fans since he came for the price of a future first, presumably a first in the mid 20s, but a first nonetheless. It has been a rough shooting experience for Ellenson since he arrived to the Suns and the man looks like a shell of himself in a Suns uniform.

Many in management have discussed what they felt was more of a panic trade from the new GM who has come to Phoenix in hopes to continue them on the path of a championship and that goal seems farther away now. Whether Ellenson is just a symptom of a larger problem with the Suns play this year or a outlier; the team will need to figure out some way in order to play there way out of a bad situation.

Henry Ellenson since coming to Phoenix is averaging 8.3 PPG, 5.4 RPG in about 25 minutes per game with lower percentages in 3pt shooting, Field Goal shooting and Free Throw shooting.
Phoenix Suns GM
Season recap: 2030-31: 36-46

"Fall Seven Times, Get Up Eight"

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Re: The Curious Case Of Henry Ellenson

Post by hardenwithnod »

Not sure what’s going on, as he was shooting the ball well for us over here, and has always been a good shooter. Maybe try him in a different rotation?
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

You have your 1st this year but not next, but given you already have a win now team you're in a good position.
Ball is Life.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Yeah, it wasnt a horrible trade, but I know a lot of GMs were not in agreement with it when it happened. I think like Gary said you just need to experiment more with him to see if you can get him to perform like you expect. I know GSW had success with him, but I don't know that Ryan is going to give his division rival too many pointers.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

He’s a solid roleplayer. I think he would be a good fit for us at PF for example. But he really needs a fitting Team so that he only has to grab drebs, get steals and space the floor
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

thecoolestjedi
General Manager

Post by thecoolestjedi »

hardenwithnod wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:15 pm Not sure what’s going on, as he was shooting the ball well for us over here, and has always been a good shooter. Maybe try him in a different rotation?
Think that might be the answer is switching him up in rotations where the ball is able to allow him that space to shoot and the ability to grab more rebounds should he need to. He seems to do better when he is able to get a lot more minutes.
You have your 1st this year but not next, but given you already have a win now team you're in a good position.
And that's my position from the trade because I still think Ellenson can do something better if I can get something more out of him. Because I feel he can be a terrific rotational piece for us.
Yeah, it wasnt a horrible trade, but I know a lot of GMs were not in agreement with it when it happened. I think like Gary said you just need to experiment more with him to see if you can get him to perform like you expect. I know GSW had success with him, but I don't know that Ryan is going to give his division rival too many pointers.
Think that's exactly where I'm at, looking to hand him some instructions and different rotations that better suit what his strengths are and highlight them.
He’s a solid roleplayer. I think he would be a good fit for us at PF for example. But he really needs a fitting Team so that he only has to grab drebs, get steals and space the floor
Don't know how well it looks for me to trade him twice in singular season, hehe.
Phoenix Suns GM

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

he was my top realistic trade target this season so I am also surprised to see him struggle

thecoolestjedi
General Manager

Post by thecoolestjedi »

KW wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:19 pm he was my top realistic trade target this season so I am also surprised to see him struggle
It’s frustrating too cause if he just is better, my bench is better and with the fouls I need a bench
Phoenix Suns GM

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

I always found Ellenson was much more productive starting vs off the bench
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

cb4raptorscb4 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:41 pm I always found Ellenson was much more productive starting vs off the bench
Hmm, curious.
Ball is Life.

thecoolestjedi
General Manager

Post by thecoolestjedi »

cb4raptorscb4 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:41 pm I always found Ellenson was much more productive starting vs off the bench
Hmmmmm. Interesting for sure
Phoenix Suns GM

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

And sometimes players just go thru cold streaks. Give him some time and try some things and hopefully he finds back to his shooting form.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Approved for scouting

Please PM me when you've made your picks for scouting.