League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Indiana Pacers Season Preview

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Mattybriand
CEO

Indiana Pacers Season Preview

Post by Mattybriand »

2015 was a disappointing season for the Indiana Pacers. A new GM was named half way through the season, With a new vision and started making changes immediately.

2016 Already has a different feel to it. When we caught up with Matty and asked about Terrence Jones he had this to say.
Well we have been all in the news this offseason. We are disappointed the way some things went down. We truly feel terrible for Terrence this man has done nothing wrong. he's a hard worker and for him to be told he was being traded last season to Atlanta for Evan Turner so he could have a bigger role and the league office denying the trade he came back hard and played his a** off for us.. then this offseason being told he was being signed and traded to Houston who made it clear that they had a spot for him. Deja vu strikes again with the league denying the trade. We haven't spoken with Terrence in about a week he is clearly upset with the way everything went down I feel for him, but we are determined to find another way to succeed and to get better. We have backup plans as we know some things just don't work out. My vision for this team has changed about 500 times since I've started and i'm sure that will continue to change over time. We are commited to bringing in players who want to work hard and win and we plan on playing a better brand of basketball this upcoming year.
We are going to preview each position, These are just predictions of how we think the Pacers will shake out this season

POINT GUARD
Starter: Tony Parker
The Pacers Struck first this offseason and picked up a veteran Point Guard in Tony Parker. This offseason Tony has been playing incredible basketball for France. The Pacers never really had a True Point Guard all last season Tony Parker will change that this season.

Bench PG's
Tyrone Wallace
Tyrone Wallace looked very promising in short stints last season with the Wizards, The Pacers looked to trade for him midseason last year and it all fell through after he became available this offseason the Pacers made it a point to finally succeed in bringing him to Indy. As a 6'5 PG their are rumors that he could also Back Bradley Beal up at the 2 if needed.

Shooting Guard
Starter: Bradley Beal
Bradley Beal was injured for a good part of last year. This is going to be a very Important year for him and his development. He's shown great promise during the last 20 games last year... however this year with Indiana's new size advantage Beal will be looked to score more.

Bench
Keifer Sykes
This is probably the biggest surprise out of all of the positions, This position was rumored to be a spot for Roy Devyn Marble. However with recent event this will leave Matty to think outside the box. Kiefer has a scorers chance if nothing else.

Small Forward
Starter:Aaron Gordon
Aaron Flourished in the SF role last season just look at his stats over the last 5 games in which he played 22+ min he avg 26.2 PPG 6.8 RPG 2.2 SPG 1.0BPG It's a Small sample but since Matty took over Aaron was by far the best player on the court for Indiana. He shot 51% from the field last year and stopped 93% of drives he faced.

Bench
Kobe Bryant
6 time World Champion Future Hall of famer. Coming off of a Championship with the pelicans. will most likely be backing up Aaron Gordon to put that in perspective, When Kobe Became a Professional Basketball player Aaron Gordon was 1 years old.. the Pacers set out to add veteran Leadership this offseason. Most will say Kobe is done, WHEN ASKED ABOUT RETIREMENT HE SAID THIS
Hah Come on guy's the same question every year I think I averaged like 15 points a game last year in less then 20 minutes a game, my legs might not last 40 minutes a game but give me the ball and ill give you points!
Power Forward
Starter:Cody Zeller
Indiana Native Cody Zeller is coming off of a career year and is excited to play for his hometown Indiana Pacers. He is going to have big shoes to fill considering he is taking over for LaMarcus Aldridge. However he finshed last year off strong through the last 5 games his avg were 24.6 ppg 9.6 rpg 1.8 spg 1.0 apg.

Bench
Terrence Jones
Rumors are starting to trickle down that Terrence is very unhappy with Indiana for not following through on trades that were promised however as of right now these are just rumors and Terrence has not confirmed anything. so for now Terrence will be a big part of this teams Bench

Center
Starter:Marc Gasol
Marc Gasol just like Tony Parker is away supporting his Native country and playing remarkably well. He will be a big part of this Pacer team. Expect him to bring a big rebounding presence that this team has lacked in previous years. Not many Big Men that are bigger then Marc. this might be make the pacers the biggest front court in the CSL Marc Gasol 7'1 Cody Zeller 7'0 Aaron Gordon 6'9

Bench
TBD
This is where Matty will have to pull off a Miracle, With no money left and most of the Talented big men gone. Maybe he will find a scrub to fill in for a bench big man, This role was most likely Intended for Spencer Hawes..

Coach
Doug Collins
After last year leading the young Suns to a 52 win season and a playoff berth the unthinkable happened.. HE WAS FIRED?!? Former NUMBER 1 DRAFT PICK Doug Collins has taken over the Pacers with a pretty nice resume he coached Michael Jordan in Chicago and in Washington he coached Allen Iverson in Philly, He is considered a players coach he proved last year he can lead a young team to the playoffs. And he is already taking shots at fellow coaches/gms when asked about GM Duties he said this
Matty brought me in to coach and that is what im going to do I trust Matty to give me a team that can win. I think some coaches out here have big heads. let your GM do their job and you do yours "COACH"
Last edited by Mattybriand on Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
George DePaula|Damien Inglis|Draymond Green|Karl Anthony-Towns|Nikola Jokić

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Re: Indiana Pacers Season Preview

Post by KW »

I think you've got a much better roster than you inherited. Dark horse playoff team?

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Only winning 52 games and a second round sweep at the hands of the Pelicans was just unacceptable. Heads had to roll... ;)

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Because he's 37, paying more than LLE money was a waste on Kobe.

Start Jones at SF, Gordon at PF, and have Zeller backup at both PF and C.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

BizGilwalker wrote:I think you've got a much better roster than you inherited. Dark horse playoff team?
Health is going to be crucial, but yeah, if piloted properly, this is a playoff team in the East.

NanashiWake
Senior Vice President

Post by NanashiWake »

Really like what I see coming from your team as we've discussed briefly in the past. Good job, going to be a shame when we knock you guys out of the playoffs.

Year 1: 47-35 [[Washington Wizards]]
Year 2: 45-37 [[Washington Wizards]]
Year 3: Fired [[Portland Trailblazers]]

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

I like the mixture of youth in Beal Zeller Gordon with vets Parker Gasol Kobe, looks like a legit team and should actually compete for the lead in the Central Division for 2nd as I feel Chicago will win it this yr with Indy overtaking Detroit with the Horford setting them back a step.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Post by Chilikonkarne »

Yes, you should get this top3/top4 at the East.
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Not sure if you have your pick this year but good on your for not tanking. Hopefully you make the playoffs! Maybe surprise a team in the first round. Not sure how I feel about Gordon at SF though.
Ball is Life.

Mattybriand
CEO

Post by Mattybriand »

blackice wrote:Not sure if you have your pick this year but good on your for not tanking. Hopefully you make the playoffs! Maybe surprise a team in the first round. Not sure how I feel about Gordon at SF though.
We have our pick and the Hornets pick

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

I do like the moves you have made to improve this team and like that Indy is getting back to where they were when the CSL started. Looking forward to some good match-ups in the future.

Mattybriand
CEO

Post by Mattybriand »

emplep7 wrote:I do like the moves you have made to improve this team and like that Indy is getting back to where they were when the CSL started. Looking forward to some good match-ups in the future.
With you and Marcos in my division, and the history of the Pacers I felt we needed to be aggressive while still trying to preserve some youth!

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Mattybriand wrote:
blackice wrote:Not sure if you have your pick this year but good on your for not tanking. Hopefully you make the playoffs! Maybe surprise a team in the first round. Not sure how I feel about Gordon at SF though.
We have our pick and the Hornets pick
Ah, nice nice.
Ball is Life.

StOfTheStep
Senior Vice President

Post by StOfTheStep »

A solid blend of youth and experience here after an economical offseason grabbing some quality veteran depth. Looks to be a nice season in the making.

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

Agreed - sneaky competitive team - definitely playoff worthy.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

This team just can't handle any pressure, literally.
Other than that I like the pickups in the offseason and agree with Tim.

Jones at SF, Gordon at PF and Zeller off the bench is the best solution right now. Those 4 + Gasol are enough to cover all frontcourt minutes as they are all talented and can play multiple positions (aside from Gasol who's a pure C)
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Jaboo
General Manager

Post by Jaboo »

I felt they were curious moves. You lack the star to be a major contender and brought in aging vets that should make you a playoff lock but Parker and Kobe will be bottom tier bench players next year. You really need Beal to take it to the next level.

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

I definitely think Jones needs to start, in some capacity.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Looking deeper at this team, Parker was the wrong choice for PG. He's going to turn the ball over a lot. One of the weaknesses last season was a league high 17.3 turnovers/game, and even with adding Gasol, Parker, Sykes, Kobe, and Wallace are not good handlers for their positions. Like Marcos said, these guys are gonna get destroyed by any team running FCP.