League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

The longest tenured player

Write updates about your team or the league here.
mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

The longest tenured player

Post by mgtr81 »

The CSL it's a business, or so they say. Players move around from team to team many times during their careers, because the long term vision and loyalty are rarely seen. Maybe one day loyal players will prefer to play for loyal teams. But there are exceptions, like the one we are featuring today in our CSL Insider: Thon Maker. He is currently the longest tenured player by any team in the league.

11 seasons ago, yes 11, Maker was selected with the third overall pick by the Milwaukee Bucks. In that draft, 2019, the first player selected was Karl-Anthony Towns by the Indiana Pacers, where he played one a half years before being traded to the Atlanta Hawks. Second overall was Kris Dunn, drafted by the Golden State Warriors, with whom he played also one a half years before moving to Charlotte. Then it was Maker to Milwaukee, and after him completed the top five D'Angelo Russell by the Denver Nuggets (he only lasted 14 games there before being shipped to Atlanta) and Justise Winslow by the Washington Wizards (he didn't even play a single game, as his rights were traded to Atlanta, where he only lasted one and half seasons before wearing a Pacers uniform).

A young Maker in his early days with the Bucks.

But Maker, a highly criticized selection back then, has spent 11 years, his whole CSL career, in Milwaukee. He has played a total of 825 games, 788 in the regular season and 37 in the playoffs. He has regular season career averages of 11.0 points, 5.4 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 1.1 blocks and 0.9 steals in 25.2 minutes per game, converting 44.2 % from the field, and playoff career averages of 12.9 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 0.8 steals and 0.7 blocks in 23.1 minutes per contest, converting 50.2 % of his field goal attempts. His best season was the 2028-29 season, when he posted 17.2 points, 7.9 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.0 blocks and 0.8 steals in 30.3 minutes per game. Beyond the numbers, his defense has always been his calling card, although the last change in rules lowered his impact a bit: this season he allowed 0.89 points per shot faced and stopped 72.9 % of the drives he faced.

At age 30, Maker will start his 12th season with the Bucks. An unquestioned started for most of his career, this last season he came off the bench in 21 of the 82 games he played (both regular season and playoffs). As the time goes on, he may found himself coming off the bench more often than starting. For head coach Boris Diaw, who starts and who comes off the bench does not really matter, everyone is part of the team at the same level, and the opponent may require different players on the court. And from a financial perspective, Maker has probably the best value contract in the whole league, likely the result barely playing during the 2026-27 season, which was a contract year for him, when he spent most of his time working on his shooting ability.

How long will Maker still remain in Milwaukee? Will he finish his CSL career as a Buck? Will anyone ever break his record?
ImageImageImageImageImage

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Re: The longest tenured player

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

If you keep him it's definitely going to be hard to beat. Twelfth year in the league and only 30, meaning he started at 18-19. Impressive!

We've had Dozier for 7 years, and even Metu now for 6.
Golden State Warriors
Frank Jackson | PJ Dozier | Jaylen Hoard | Nimrod Levi | Chimezie Metu
Kris Dunn | Stone Gettings | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Thon has turned out to be a very good player for you guys, and it’s awesome that he has stuck with you guys for this long! Arguably the best value for production contract in the league.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Did bt keep anyone from his Otto Porter/Solomon era teams this long? Is 11 seasons with one team a record? The idea of a single-team career is basically nonexistent in the CSL so that's really cool if you're able to pull that off.

Thon was drafted in May 2017 irl. He was part of the first draft I ever created lol: https://championsimleague.com/viewtopic ... 63&p=66910

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

Wow! Pretty remarkable to say the least. Looking forward to his retirement as a Buck.
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Just looked that was 6 real life yrs ago :shock:

Wow that's the draft I selected Marquise Chriss, loved him.

Thon has been around for quite some time and most of those guys from his class are no longer in the League.

Great career!

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF J Isaac| C M Williams

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

Awesome to see such longevity and trust between GM and player.

I know it seems ridiculous given how many trades I make, but I do aspire to get my roster to a place where I can just focus on drafting, coaching, and watching players develop throughout the engines. Dope work man!
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

This is awesome. I was trying to find out who had been on the same team the longest the other day and couldn't figure it out. Thought it would be a cool article idea and here you have it!

Nice work and not surprised in the least that it's someone on a Manu team.
Clown.Show.League

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

This is an awesome accomplishment! I'll have to go back and confirm, but I am pretty sure Isaiah Austin was in Phoenix for 11 seasons as well.

There's no end in sight for Maker's run in Milwaukee though, so he'll undoubtedly blow past that. Very cool, Manu!

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Now you can't trade him anymore, he has to retire a Buck!!! :-)

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Yeah this is great Manu, always cool to see this in sim leagues because trading guys can be infectious sometimes.
KW wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:59 pm Did bt keep anyone from his Otto Porter/Solomon era teams this long? Is 11 seasons with one team a record? The idea of a single-team career is basically nonexistent in the CSL so that's really cool if you're able to pull that off.

Thon was drafted in May 2017 irl. He was part of the first draft I ever created lol: https://championsimleague.com/viewtopic ... 63&p=66910
I loaded up an old file and looks like I drafted Solomon in 2014 and he played with us for 12 seasons before moving to Philly as a FA. Thon about to match that it seems.

Otto only played 10 for us it looks like. We didn't draft him so spent his first 2 seasons in Washington.

Looked at Isaiah Austin too and Doug was right, was at 11 seasons. Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head with tenures that long?
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

nurk has him beat I think