League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

L.A. Rivalry Round 1: Clippers (Plus Early Season Look)

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Jestor
Chairman of the Board

L.A. Rivalry Round 1: Clippers (Plus Early Season Look)

Post by Jestor »

Still Too Soon To Tell
James Wiseman has been exactly as good as hoped

The Los Angeles Rivalry Series kicked off this season by going to the Clippers. Marcus Derrickson, who has been moved to the SF spot, scored 24 points with 8 rebounds, while James Wiseman put up 16 points, 12 rebounds, 2 steals, and 6 blocks. Harry Giles and Jo Lual-Acil each scored 14 off the bench, with Giles contributing 6 rebounds and 4 assists, Lual-Acil 5 boards and 2 rejections. The Red and White withstood a barrage of 3 pointers to emerge on top, and no single Clipper had worse than a -3 individual +/-. It was the Lakers' first loss and the Clippers' first victory.

James Wiseman has been precisely what the team hoped for when they traded Marvin Bagley III for him - 57.1% shooting for 13.7 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1.7 steals, and 4 blocks - posting a 0.89 PA/SF and a +4 individual Net. His backup - Jo Lual-Acil - has been similarly efficient for his 6.7 points, 4 rebounds, and block off the bench in shooting 75% with a 0.77 PA/SF and a barely positive individual Net.

The biggest early-season surprise: Frank Jackson

Only one Clipper has a positive ON so far, and that's Frank Jackson, who is drawing rave reviews in posting a +44 ON (+24.6 NET) and contributing 11.7 points, 7.7 assists, and 1.3 steals. He's shooting 47.6%/53.3% from 3 point range, stopping 94.6% of drives, with a tied-for-team high 2.7 TOFC and a guard-sterling 0.95 PA/SF.

Remarked one East scout, "A lot of teams are in love with this guy and call him one of the most underrated point guards in the entire league. The Clippers have very quickly figured that out and I think it's going to be difficult for a team to pry him loose. He's only 26 so still a couple of years before he hits his full prime, playing exceptional two-way ball, and on a great contract."

Backup Chris Tang has struggled offensively, but is bringing 1.3 steals and playing excellent defense overall.

Mixed bag: Malik Beasley

Malik Beasley was brought in to provide scoring and shooting, and it's been a half-full glass from that standpoint: 18.7 points and 53.3% behind the arc but just 40% overall due to 11.8% shooting from the 3-10 foot range. On the plus side, he has 1.7 steals, 2.7 TOFC, and is allowing a staggering 0.52 PA/SF.

"Everyone is surprised at how incredible he's been defensively," said a source. "No way we anticipated that. If we can just figure out how to get his overall efficiency up, he'll continue tearing up the scoring sheet and he'll form a fantastic backcourt with Jackson... unless we move him to the 3.

De'Anthony Melton has been predictably terrible at shooting the ball and has been shockingly underwhelming on defense. His -7.3 Net is the worst of any Clipper receiving regular minutes and it remains to be seen whether it's a case of small sample size or he'll be going out the door posthaste with Marcus Derrickson when their contracts sync up.

Marcus Derrickson hasn't racked up a lot of 3s yet

A consultant with the team strongly recommended Marcus Derrickson be given a chance to redeem himself after last season's disaster, and so he's been inserted at SF. It's translated to an inefficient 21.7 points (36.8% overall, 4.8% from 3 point range) and 10.4 rebounds. He's also looked mediocre on the defensive end.

A team official pointed out, "He's just off to a historically bad start. You look at his career numbers and you see a guy who shoots a lot better than this - especially behind the 3 point line. I know there's people in the building agitating for him to get moved to the reserves, but it's been three games - only two of which have been in the system we're running. As TayTay says, you need to calm down."

Backup [b[Justin Jackson[/b] has been playing solidly, bar an alarming 1.73 PA/SF and is making the case to get the starting nod - especially since his lower usage rate would free up shots for the team's efficiency stars like Wiseman and Jackson.

Rookie Santi Aldama has been shooting bricks

Rookie Santi Aldama has looked like absolute trash offensively, but he's been excellent defensively and is actually posting a +6.3 individual NET. As a team source noted, "He's playing smart - he's not taking a lot of shots and he's overall just staying inside his lane, concentrating on defense and working on his shooting form. He'll be fine."

Reserve Harry Giles has been a 10/5 player but on not great efficiency and his defense has been pedestrian. He is no threat to upend Aldama, given the former's fit in the lineup.

Looking Forward
Keep an eye on the Justin Jackson/Marcus Derrickson battle at SF. More games will decide what happens there. But one thing is for certain - the rest of the lineup is comfortably settled and is unlikely to change before any deals are made. The Clippers also have an untested young SF arriving in a free transfer at Day 30 who may further complicate the picture at the 3.

The 1-1 record now that the system is in place is promising and might well point to a better record than most preseason prognosticators predicted. Not playoffs necessarily, but a later lottery selection than the Chicago Bulls were hoping for.
Last edited by Jestor on Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Re: L.A. Rivalry Round 1: Clippers (Plus Early Season Look)

Post by Jestor »

Sim happened while I was writing this so already old :lol: Not updating the numbers, though. I'll note we're 2-2 and 2-0 in the Jestor Challenge Series

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

I’m not sure about drawing any conclusions from a 4 game sample size but I always enjoy your optimism.
Ball is Life.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

blackice wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:21 am I’m not sure about drawing any conclusions from a 4 game sample size but I always enjoy your optimism.
*2.5 games. You can pretty much throw out Game 1 against the Kings. That was all AI. And AI funkiness happened against the Blazers in Game 4.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Patience is the key here I believe. What Rhoxx is doing in Chicago is exactly how I think a rebuilding team should be. Cap space, lottery picks, young players. Hell, I'll even say the Hawks are another example.

A lot of team(s) rush the process when they get bored.

Clippers are on the *right track*
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

You have to be mediocre please...
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Andrewu91 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:46 pm Patience is the key here I believe. What Rhoxx is doing in Chicago is exactly how I think a rebuilding team should be. Cap space, lottery picks, young players. Hell, I'll even say the Hawks are another example.

A lot of team(s) rush the process when they get bored.

Clippers are on the *right track*
Yeah everyone except Frank, Aldama, and Wiseman will expire at Year 3 when Derrickson does and the only double-digit contract we’ll have is Wiseman’s second contract. Should have better timeline players then too

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

rh0xxy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:01 am You have to be mediocre please...
I’m going to try to win as many games as possible this year, so you regret not trading me my first. :) Any time I’ve had someone’s expected high lotto pick they’ve suddenly been mid-late lotto with no jumps. Time for me to deliver payback :)

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

Jestor wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:13 am
rh0xxy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:01 am You have to be mediocre please...
I’m going to try to win as many games as possible this year, so you regret not trading me my first. :) Any time I’ve had someone’s expected high lotto pick they’ve suddenly been mid-late lotto with no jumps. Time for me to deliver payback :)
Yep that's the spirit! I won't wish you luck though lol
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

I wanted both Tang and Jackson in the offseason but didn't have the cash to make it happen.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Rizzo wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:25 pm I wanted both Tang and Jackson in the offseason but didn't have the cash to make it happen.
Inbox is always open