League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

But Why?

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Dylan
Senior Vice President

But Why?

Post by Dylan »

The rumor mill never stops in the CSL, as trade season is 24/7, 365 days a year (366 on a leap year) in these parts. Even during trade restriction periods, teams talk and agree to deals that get finalized weeks later. It's a constant state of wheeling and dealing for a majority of the league's teams, and the reality of a CSL player is a dark one at times. Your bags always have to be packed and ready to go at a moment's notice, especially if you're a player held in high regard.

That has been the reality ofthe center of the Charlotte Hornets franchise, Trae Young. After a somewhat disappointing Play-In appearance that led to a first round beatdown at the hands of the Miami Heat, those inside the Hornets organization knew nobody was safe. From management down to the coaching staff and especially the players, it was clear that nobody should put a downpayment on a long-term lease this summer.

Young is different than the rest of the organization. A proven CSL All-Star caliber player in the heart of his prime - players like that just don't grow on trees. One of the league's best high volume three point shooters, a talented creator and a solid defender, Young is the kind of player you see leading the charge for a team that matters in the CSL. This isn't a replacement level rotation player who gets traded around the league 8 times, this is a prized asset and one you want your team to trade for, not trade away.

But here we are, a mediocre team who made an all-in move that didn't yield results last season. The acquisition of CSL champion and perennial All-Star Stanley Johnson Jr. didn't lead to wins like the team planned. A midseason trade of Hornet staple Kris Dunn for a package of quality rotation players didn't do the trick either. The Hornets now find themselves stuck in the worst position there is - the purgatory that is CSL mediocrity.

Not every team can be the Miami Heat, Sacramento Kings and Boston Celtics. We know that. But this position? Fighting for an 8th seed with little room for growth around your franchise cornerstone? That's not the position you want to be in (especially not in this fake basketball league with zero real-world ramifications for any moves we make). That's the position that makes you do something radical, and something you may one day regret.

That's how a player in the heart of his prime, who is an All-Star caliber talent and who has been the face of the franchise for 7 seasons now finds himself on the trade block, with rumors swirling.

Ultimately, the trade block is just an advertisement. It's an invitation for discussions and in some cases, an excuse to make yourself the center of attention. Players get posted on the block all the time that won't actually get moved - how real a player's availability is sometimes unknown league-wide. Some GMs just like knowing that their player is popular. Others like to wheel and deal and have fun trading, and care much less about building a winner. Hornets GM Dylan, though, wants to prove to himself that he can do it - that he can build a sustainable winner.

Whether Trae Young finds himself suiting up elsewhere on Opening Night very much remains to be seen. The Hornets understand that he can be a part of the solution - may even the most important part of the solution. However, when you field offers and have discussions with 16 of the league's 29 other teams, you start to imagine all the different ways this situation can be attacked, and what the best (and most fun!) way to build a sustainable winner might be.

It won't be easy, and it won't happen overnight, but the desire to crawl out of the depths of hell - the purgatory that is mediocrity - is how a player like Trae Young finds himself ready to be sent to a new home.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Re: But Why?

Post by hardenwithnod »

The East is very tough, so I can see why you might want to blow it up, and start from scratch. I definitely think you can get some great value from SJJ and Young. Both had good seasons, and seemed to translate well in the new engine.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

East is really really tough. I've been trying to upgrade my roster as much as possible for the past seasons and havent even cracked Conference Finals yet.

Young and SJJ are really good, both of them, but they are probably not enough in the East, being honest.
Trading both could lead to a painful rebuild with lots of young assets. Is that better or worse than being the 8th seed every year in a super strong conference? IDK

If I didn't find a deal for Taylor, I would look to rebuild this year by acquiring as many picks as possible. Not easy to admit that my roster wasn't on par with others, but that's 100% better than never winning a ring.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

I would love to trade for Young. A guy like him is top tier and still a young(no pun intended). Personally it's up to you but i would try the nucleus for another season to really see where your team stands. Maybe look to trade a pick and SJJ to upgrade that position?
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

He's a great player but you're right to worry that the roster is unlikely to get over the hump in the East. I thought the core from a few years ago (Young, Nunn, Korkmaz, Green, Poeltl) was a great starting 5 but lacked the depth to compete. SInce then the roster has only been on a treadmill or slightly regressed, while the East has only gotten more difficult. I imagine the suitors for Young are in abundance. Good luck!
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Team really needs a defensive eraser at the 5 to compensate for SJJ's shortcomings on that end of the court. That's if they keep Young. If you don't keep him, demand a lot as he's an elite player who carried the Hornets to the mid-tier status they even reached.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Though decision for sure. You may have 1-2 season left to try and find the right pieces.
But with a lack of assets it needs some luck.