League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Transition Case Study 4: Versatile, Efficient Guard

Write updates about your team or the league here.
emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

This is the fourth installment in a series of five (5) that will showcase real player scenarios from what was observed in the last set of pre-season sims. This is meant to provide some information to the league on what to look for when setting player preferences to return your player to their expected performances.

NOTE: Names of player are being withheld on purpose so that GMs can focus on the player type instead of the specific player.

Pre-season Observations

1. In pre-season, this player saw their volume go down to below 10 ppg and their overall FG% also saw a slight dip away from their normal highly efficient self down to 43% (40% from 3PT) and one who previously could put up 20 points pretty easily.

2. This player is pretty versatile offensively with good range and an average inside game and should be shooting at a decent volume based on other ratings.

3. This player was setup to be heavy ATB with some MID thrown in as well. Additionally, their player actions were set to be strong in C&S and Pull Up with very little in the Post Up or Drive/Shot.

Adjustment Approach

1. First, looking at his shooting ratings/potentials from the Player Potential Database, this player is good from MID and ATB, and average everywhere else. This is an important first step in trying to determine what to focus a player's ball actions on as this provides a link to the appropriate distribution.

2. Secondly, looking at this players pre-season shot chart (see below) over a season, while there is a lot of green in locations, there is very low volume around the court as it is mostly confined to ATB which has limited the number of shots taken significantly.

Final Adjustments

1. This player is strong in mid range, so that needs to be higher than other areas outside of the post where this player should still be effective if provided time to play there. ATB and COR were spread out a bit between them, but any players set heavy in those areas decreases their volume.

Floor Locations were set to the following:

40 POST, 30 MID, 20 ATB, 10 COR

2. For Ball Actions, the primary actions were Post Up and Pull Up due to the floor locations selected and the shooting potentials. C&S and Drive/Shot were set to the same levels and Drive/Pass was set to the minimum level.

Final Observations

1. The player performed more in line with where they were in DDS19 this time around with averages of 18 ppg on 44% shooting from the field (41% from 3 on 4.2 attempts per game) and a TS% of 53. In comparison, this player scored around 22 ppg in DDS19 while shooting around 47% from the field and a TS% of 55.

2. See the adjusted shot chart below:

Imagecenter]

3. The player was built around their shot strengths in the database and spread out throughout the court which helped both efficiency and the number of shots attempted.

Overall Thoughts: As with the other examples, this player could use some slight tweaks, but overall is mostly restored to DDS19 levels with these adjustments.

Feel free to comment and ask questions below, but hopefully these are helpful for you all as more of them come out!

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Re: Transition Case Study 3: Versatile, Efficient Guard

Post by Dennis »

The 41% from 3 are a fluke if it’s the player I think. Without that good 3 he will be lower in TS. Hence, I believe, over several seasons simmed he will 50% TS or, in an off season, below 50% TS. In all those examples 3pt/FGJ are fairly high though while ITP is low. Confuses me.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

emplep7

Post by emplep7 »

Dennis wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:56 pm The 41% from 3 are a fluke if it’s the player I think. Without that good 3 he will be lower in TS. Hence, I believe, over several seasons simmed he will 50% TS or, in an off season, below 50% TS
They shot 40% during the preseason prior to adjustment so it looks like around 39-41% is probably their range, but agree that it will fluctuate a little season to season. I'd be surprised if it dipped that low though based on previous data from the last two preseasons which gives us an N of 3.

Ramcus
CEO

Re: Transition Case Study 4: Versatile, Efficient Guard

Post by Ramcus »

Could I get an explanation on why this guy is posting up so much, when the strengths of this player never stated a strong inside game? Both 40% post and the high post up ball action. You guys specifically said that this player is good at the mid range and atb, and average everywhere else.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

emplep7

Post by emplep7 »

Ramcus wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:43 pm Could I get an explanation on why this guy is posting up so much, when the strengths of this player never stated a strong inside game? Both 40% post and the high post up ball action. You guys specifically said that this player is good at the mid range and atb, and average everywhere else.
Its important for guards to have diversity in their range and his potentials are average from RA (and he shot 59% there in preseason). Unless their RA and ITP is really bad, I would still send a guard into the post a good chunk unless you want them to be more of a facilitator. Keeping them heavy ATB or COR will take away from them taking shots and due to him being average to above average everywhere he's a good player to utilize in the post in addition to 60% of the time being spent outside of the post.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

emplep7 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:40 pm
Dennis wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:56 pm The 41% from 3 are a fluke if it’s the player I think. Without that good 3 he will be lower in TS. Hence, I believe, over several seasons simmed he will 50% TS or, in an off season, below 50% TS
They shot 40% during the preseason prior to adjustment so it looks like around 39-41% is probably their range, but agree that it will fluctuate a little season to season. I'd be surprised if it dipped that low though based on previous data from the last two preseasons which gives us an N of 3.
Always works the way one needs to say preseason counts as n or not. When I brought up shooting is weird everybody said n is too small in preseason.

CSL Champions Image 2028

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

emplep7 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:48 pm
Ramcus wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:43 pm Could I get an explanation on why this guy is posting up so much, when the strengths of this player never stated a strong inside game? Both 40% post and the high post up ball action. You guys specifically said that this player is good at the mid range and atb, and average everywhere else.
Its important for guards to have diversity in their range and his potentials are average from RA (and he shot 59% there in preseason). Unless their RA and ITP is really bad, I would still send a guard into the post a good chunk unless you want them to be more of a facilitator. Keeping them heavy ATB or COR will take away from them taking shots and due to him being average to above average everywhere he's a good player to utilize in the post in addition to 60% of the time being spent outside of the post.
Damn that means it didn’t change at all between 19 and 22. Could it be that really our pass pref is too high? In offline file, when heavily atb, it worked really well if pass pref was lower.

CSL Champions Image 2028

emplep7

Post by emplep7 »

The two separate preseason files were simmed in totality as well so that it wasn't a data pull from 30 days of a season and was over a full season of data to try to avoid using some potentially limited numbers. I'd agree though Dennis that the more data the better.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Looks like I am just going to adjust every non post player that I want to shoot to like 30-20-20-10 splits depending on where they excel at, since this engine pretty much forces you to make them play a bit everywhere unless I don't want them to shoot.

Then for guys that I don't want to shoot much, just tell them stand at their best location majority of the time, that way they won't put up a ton of shots, and if they do that it should be at their best spot.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Another question is, does drive + pass do much here, I feel like the amount of shots a guy take doesn't really get affected by it. Not sure if it does much compared to the past, where a lot of drive and pass can make a guy that you don't want to shoot facilitate instead.

emplep7

Post by emplep7 »

hardenwithnod wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:57 pm Another question is, does drive + pass do much here, I feel like the amount of shots a guy take doesn't really get affected by it. Not sure if it does much compared to the past, where a lot of drive and pass can make a guy that you don't want to shoot facilitate instead.
Yeah, heavy D/K is still used to limit a players number of shots (similar to what Kyrus did with Winslow). Its not as powerful at limiting them as it was in DDS19, but is still an effective way to do that.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

hardenwithnod wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:56 pm Looks like I am just going to adjust every non post player that I want to shoot to like 30-20-20-10 splits depending on where they excel at, since this engine pretty much forces you to make them play a bit everywhere unless I don't want them to shoot.

Then for guys that I don't want to shoot much, just tell them stand at their best location majority of the time, that way they won't put up a ton of shots, and if they do that it should be at their best spot.
Summarised it pretty well imo. Sounds worse than 19 though where shooter racked up a lot of shots even when pass pref was high and location mostly ATB corner

CSL Champions Image 2028

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Yeah, now I am curious as to how the league will let us adjust these players? Sounds like there will need to be a lot of fixing/experimenting with this first year.

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Dennis wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:02 pm
hardenwithnod wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:56 pm Looks like I am just going to adjust every non post player that I want to shoot to like 30-20-20-10 splits depending on where they excel at, since this engine pretty much forces you to make them play a bit everywhere unless I don't want them to shoot.

Summarised it pretty well imo. Sounds worse than 19 though where shooter racked up a lot of shots even when pass pref was high and location mostly ATB corner
That was only true for the PG bug. Shooters at the 2 and 3 in DDS19 did nothing.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Silogical wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:06 pm

That was only true for the PG bug. Shooters at the 2 and 3 in DDS19 did nothing.
Eh, you know we had a max corner because they still did?

CSL Champions Image 2028

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Dennis wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:07 pm

I dont know what you mean here.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Silogical wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:15 pm

There was a max corner instruction because even at 40 corner every player racked up tons of 3s no matter of pass pref if his other prefs have been correct.

CSL Champions Image 2028

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Dennis wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:26 pm

There was a max corner instruction because even at 40 corner every player racked up tons of 3s no matter of pass pref if his other prefs have been correct.
that's not true. name one player that "even at 40 corner every player racked up tons of 3s"

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Silogical wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:30 pm

that's not true. name one player that "even at 40 corner every player racked up tons of 3s"
Kubolka, or how that guy was called from Dallas.

CSL Champions Image 2028

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Dennis wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:32 pm
Silogical wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:30 pm

Kubolka, or how that guy was called from Dallas.
Never even heard of him im sure the admins didnt make the cap for this guy.

I dont think you can dispute shooters that played at the 2 and 3 were invisible unless they had 80+ scoring. In this engine wing shooters look to be a little more aggressive. Its probably because PGs are less aggressive so those shots have to go to the other 4 positions.
so 1's usage drops
2-5 usage goes up