League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

BI's Spotlight V2 #1 (GM intro)- Vann_the_Red

Write updates about your team or the league here.
blackice
Chairman of the Board

BI's Spotlight V2 #1 (GM intro)- Vann_the_Red

Post by blackice »

This will be the 1st in an old-ish series of articles spotlighting different GM's in the league and picking the brains of the braintrust here in the league. Each one will have customized questions that vary in terms of detail and intention. Some will be directly tied to the GM's team, some will be more directed to the league as a whole - all will relate in some form or fashion to basketball. Each article is worth scouting points for a full Insider article. The 1st on this new season interview is with Vann_the_Red, so let's kick this off.

1. How did you find the CSL and do you have any experience in sim leagues?

I started sim sports with a hockey sim in the early aughts and have loved them ever since. I was in Wolverine's demo league for DDSPB21 where I met Rizzo and Genie from SIBA. As soon as that Wolverine season ended, I joined SIBA and joined a college football sim Rizzo ran and met KW and DrumR there. Right now, I'm in 2 DDSPB and 2 DDSCF leagues.

2. What made the Pacers the ideal spot for you to land in and was it your first choice?

Well, there were only two options at that moment, but it was definitely my first choice of the two. 😀 I've always done teardown and rebuild approaches to pro basketball and this gives me an alternative path.

3. What is the plan short term (1-2 years) and long term (3-5 years)?

My plan is to pretend Herb Simons owns this Pacers team and wants it run like the RL Pacers; we're going to focus middle term and try to make the playoffs every year.

4. You signed Jamal Murray to perhaps the most cap value contract, tell us about your motivation to bring him back and his role on this team? Is he a PG, a SG, or a combo guard?

Jamal is our starting shooting guard and I expect him to be one of our two leading scorers. We need his spacing and his secondary playmaking.

5. Tell us about your trade and take us behind the scenes.

I spent a long time looking at the roster and recent results when I took this gig. The first thing I thought was that this roster is better than its results. The second thing I realized was that Briante Weber -- and he's as good a defensive guard as you'll find -- is a luxury we couldn't afford. The back end of that contract may be tough and we're not in position to win a title in the next two years that would justify the back end. I wish him the best and hope he gets that chip. Getting a younger, more affordable, more positionally flexible replacement in Reed plus Martin was a great return.

6. Who's the franchise player right now, and do you consider Hayes to be your best asset with Ojeleye being, perhaps, you best player?

Ojeleye and Murray should be our best players this season. Hayes may be our best player in 3 years. Right now, we're transitioning from Guler to Waters at point and I'm optimistic about Tremont's future. Jonathan Isaac is the wildcard; if his name is more prominent in our list of best players, that's a good sign.

7. Who is a GM that you find yourself admiring and wanting to model your approach after?

I'm really new here and have a small observation sample, but I am impressed with how Dennis runs the Celtics.

I hope you enjoyed this look into yet another integral player of this league, and if you are interested in being interviewed, and haven't already, please express your interest either in this thread or a PM if you prefer. It'll be first come first serve, and I'll gauge interest and go from there.
Ball is Life.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Re: BI's Spotlight V2 #1 (GM intro)- Vann_the_Red

Post by emplep7 »

Good interview here and looking forward to how you manage the Pacers as they are a team that has always had talent, but has never been able to put a consistent winning team together. They usually start out strong and fizzle about halfway through the season.

If you can keep on a steady pace with your plans and stick to them, I think you can make this team pretty scary.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Last question most important part! That Dennis dude is a machine.

Jokes aside, good luck man and I hope you enjoy the league like we all do. Needs some time to get into it but new engine will nrw got all of us
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Indiana could be a pretty good team this season.

Murray was a great pickup.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

Nice read. Yeah Murray was a great pick up with that contract, good job!

Murray and Semi should be a great combo in and out, good luck!
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke