League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Toronto Raptors Season Review/Preview

Write updates about your team or the league here.
blackice
Chairman of the Board

Toronto Raptors Season Review/Preview

Post by blackice »

Where to start? Coming off a sweep by the eventual champion Boston Celtics where DeAaron Fox single handedly shred our defense and we couldn't even muster any resistance over the span of a whole series the franchise knew although the season was a success as we made the playoffs as a 7th seed - this wasn't a team that could compete with the big boys once games got serious in the playoffs. So in typical BI fashion at the end of the season there was a deep analysis of each player on the roster. So the results? We found that the starting roster was perfectly balanced and we had quality talent at every position. The issue? Depth. Hezonja and Patton were #1 and #2 in MPG in the whole league and although we didn't get hit with any serious injuries this wasn't sustainable and we needed a bench. So how does one add a bench without diluting talent and moving a starter? We decided to leverage a future 1st for 5 picks and added some serious fire power.

Many associate BI and the Raptors with trades, but it's been a whole season since we made a single trade and that hasn't changed this offseason in terms of moving players. At a certain point you have to commit to a direction and invest in players you deem worthy and that takes patience. The starters are slightly different with E'Twaun Moore and after grooming Sexton to take over our starting PG spot we will move him to the starting lineup and move Joseph to starting SG where he can act as a secondary playmaker and focus on defending and scoring without the responsibly of running the show.

The depth chart is as follows:

Collin Sexton/Facundo Campazzo
Cory Joseph/Grant Riller
Mario Hezonja/Nuni Omot
Justin Patton/JT Thor/Yves Pons
Michael Young/Lennard Freeman

OK so let's take a look at the deal with Memphis.

TOR

SENDS
TOR '31 1st
Total $$$ Sent: 0

Memphis

22 Memphis Grizzlies - SF Nuni Omot
23 Memphis Grizzlies - PF JT Thor
38 Memphis Grizzlies - PG Grant Riller
53 Memphis Grizzlies - SF Yves Pons
Total $$$ Sent: 0

We are obviously taking a gamble and have one eye on the future and with Joseph expiring once it's time to resign Sexton and our 2nd rounders we also have an eye on our finances.

Let's break down the rookies:

Facundo Campazzo is probably the best pure PG in this class in terms of a traditional pass first guard who can make plays for others and keep the ball moving. He will take the helm of the second unit and use his dazzling ball handling and elite passing to give us a boost when our starting PG is rest.

Nuni Omot has fantastic size for a SF (6'9) and is already a near elite slasher who can hit the corner 3 and contribute defensively. His upside is solid and he'll find minutes behind Hezonja. He's definitely raw and I'm unclear how efficient he'll be from day one but he's a 3 position stud.

JT Thor is the prize of our draft class, he is already one of the best defenders in this class (the best from what I've seen but I could be wrong). If he can just be neutral on offense and get out of the way of our scorers and just focus on stls/blks and defense we have ourselves a 3rd big who should be good for 24-28 MPG out of the gate.

Yves Pons is a guy that can give us 5/5 on good efficiency given the minutes but we need to focus on getting his weight up over the next few seasons. He's a very strange player, a shooting guard with big man skills but he'll be a fun experiment and good value for where he was taken.

My favourite new addition to the Toronto Raptors is the one and only Grant Riller. I was seriously considering starting him at SG and feeding him starter minutes, he's that good at what he does best - scoring. He's not quite a 3 level scorer and he won't give you assists or rebounding but the 6'1 - 190 shooting guard has better then expected handles and is already a ready made contributor. I think he's going to shock the league as he's the main option on our 2nd unit. Don't be surprised if he ended up being a 14-18 PPG guy in his rookie season.

Riller is ready to burst on the season and show everyone he should have been a 1st rounder...

Of course all of the above still have training camp and could see boosts right away so we are very excited that we finally have a bench, our cap issues are a thing of the past (I believe we are around 75M currently), and we should be a playoff team with top 4 upside. Bringing back Hezonja was obviously a key part of this offseason as he is the catalyst that makes this preverbal ship run, but he should see a decrease in minutes and raw volume, although a nice uptick in efficiency would be nice.

In terms of strategy we'll run a ball movement offense as our starting 1-4 are all elite passers for their positions and we will not making huge changes from what worked for us last season.
Last edited by blackice on Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ball is Life.

Vann_the_Red
General Manager

Re: Toronto Raptors Season Review/Preview

Post by Vann_the_Red »

I like the plan. Usually efficiency increases as usage decreases. Hopefully, that holds up for you.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

*Pictures added*
Ball is Life.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

5th in the division, #8 seed, first round exit. This is the definition of a treadmill team. I did get a good chuckle out of Top 4 upside though

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This team added some good young depth, and that future 1st shouldn’t be anything crazy unless one of your big guns gets hurt.

I think this team still needs a few moves, as I have a feeling the team might struggle a bit with so many ball dominant players in the starting lineup. It’s a good starting 5, but I think they could use a less touch heavy player at SG to help give guys like Patton more touches.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Not sure what to make of the team.

I didn't think you were a PO team last season but you made it as the 7th seed. So far you've stood pat while other low seed or fringe Eastern Conference PO teams have made a move of some sort to slightly improve.

Not sure I can project the Raptors as Top 5 yet as you currently stand.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

I'm liking the optimism. The Raptors are definitely talented. A team like this would be a top 4 seed, if they played in the opposite conference.

I say 6-8 seed and one bad injury and you guys can slip even more.

Best case is 5th seed, worst case is 10th seed.

Either way, you haven't gotten worse and slightly improved.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

hardenwithnod wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:37 pm This team added some good young depth, and that future 1st shouldn’t be anything crazy unless one of your big guns gets hurt.

I think this team still needs a few moves, as I have a feeling the team might struggle a bit with so many ball dominant players in the starting lineup. It’s a good starting 5, but I think they could use a less touch heavy player at SG to help give guys like Patton more touches.
I completely agree Gary, I might have to run:

Facundo Campazzo(28)/Collin Sexton(20)
Cory Joseph(28)/Collin Sexton(10)/Grant Riller(10)
Mario Hezonja(28)/Nuni Omot(20)
Justin Patton(8)/JT Thor(25)/Lennard Freeman(15)/Yves Pons
Michael Young(28)/Justin Patton(20)

Stagger minutes and see what works, Campazzo won't look for his own shot and is built to be a pass first floor general but I really wanted to find Riller minutes. We're probably weakest with depth upfront but I'm comfortable going into the season with what I got, but I did consider the point you made.
Ball is Life.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

I think it is the right move to stick to your core and try to build around it. It will be another tough year in the East, now with Charlotte and Indiana more active. But playoffs is the goal.

The starting 5 is balanced and as you said a problem last season was really depth. Only concern for me is how ready this young guys are. I like the different skills they bring to the table but are also very conservative in playing rookies important minutes.
That will be interesting to see how they do in the first season.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Flaming Homer wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:37 am I think it is the right move to stick to your core and try to build around it. It will be another tough year in the East, now with Charlotte and Indiana more active. But playoffs is the goal.

The starting 5 is balanced and as you said a problem last season was really depth. Only concern for me is how ready this young guys are. I like the different skills they bring to the table but are also very conservative in playing rookies important minutes.
That will be interesting to see how they do in the first season.
Yeah it will be up to the young guys to earn minutes, outside of Facundo Campazzo who needs to come in and contribute right away. Elfrid Payton's veteran presence, and more importantly his stellar defensive acumen and secondary playmaking skill at the SG spot is a huge boost to our second unit. James Young finally gives us a scorer behind Hezonja at SF and Andre Drummond even at his advanced age is still an above average backup center. E'Twaun Moore goes from our starter last season to an injury reserve but is still a decent 3&D option. We'll see how things play out but at least we have multiple options now.
Ball is Life.