League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Clippers Midseason Review: Just the Beginning

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Dylan
Senior Vice President

Clippers Midseason Review: Just the Beginning

Post by Dylan »

You can look at the Clippers' season so far from a few different perspectives. I wouldn’t exactly say they’re your typical mid-tier playoff team by any means. After years in the basement of the league and not a single season over 30 wins since Dylan took over the team, this is already the most successful Clippers season in years.

The Clippers have lost more than a handful of bad games. They struggle mightily defensively, they continue to have roster turnover and their coaching probably doesn’t compare to some of their Western Conference playoff opponents. That said, many in the Clippers organization are choosing to focus on a more positive perspective.

Clippers' general manager Dylan always made it very clear. He wasn’t afraid of roster turnover and wasn’t married to any player until he found himself a team and a core that he believed could compete for a CSL championship. A few seasons later, the Clippers truly believe they have the foundation to get to that point.

The infamous Isaiah Cousins trade was met with quite a bit of skepticism at first. Executives around the league believed the Clippers overpaid quite a bit (some making it quite clear via DM and messenger a bit too much, you know who you are), and that might still be true. What can’t be argued at this point, is how valuable Cousins is to the Clippers and both their current and future success. Cousins has elevated himself into one of the premier players in the league, a surefire all-star, and a viable MVP candidate.

Cousins is as good a scorer as there is in this league. What he lacks on defense he more than makes up for on offense. Incredible scoring numbers mixed with above-average efficiency for a guard, Cousins has become one of the toughest players in the league to stop. He is the engine that makes the Clippers run and that trade has become a massive turning point in franchise history.

The Clippers elected to trade former franchise centerpiece Rui Hachimura to try and pair Cousins with a true “star”. Marvin Bagley has shown mixed results since the trade, but the team believes he’s the right co-star for Cousins. Bagley provides the full package as a big man in the CSL and while the results haven’t been what the Clippers were hoping for, the team is still winning games and that’s ultimately what matters. With 4 more guaranteed seasons after this one, there’s a ton of time for them to work on making Bagley the superstar center the league knows he can be.

With a record of 30-23 as of this writing, the Clippers already have their winningest season under Dylan. What happens the rest of this season is a mystery to all, and you can’t forget the last two Western Conference champions came out of nowhere as well. With a dynamite offense, two real stars, and some really good role players, the Clippers have the potential to make a surprise postseason run. Either way, with tons of future flexibility and Cousins and Bagley locked up already, this season isn’t championship or bust. It’s only the beginning.

AlexS
General Manager

Re: Clippers Midseason Review: Just the Beginning

Post by AlexS »

Cousins has been so good for you - I keep waiting for him to come back to earth but it doesn't seem to be coming? I liked the Bagley - Rui trade for both LA teams. With a few tweaks the Cousins-Bagley tandem should work!

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I've definitely thought how good it would have been to keep Cousins that's for sure but I think fit wise, it has worked really well for both basically giving us an alpha scorer each with Porter stepping up for us and Cousins tearing it up for LA.

30-23 is a great launching pad especially when you've played 5 more away games so that will only improve. Really jammed up the Pacific, thanks Dylan haha.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

I love what you've done with the Clippers and they are certainly on the way up. With Cousins and Bagley on long-term deals the Clips are a threat in West
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Yeah, I echo what the others have said and think you have put yourself into the conversation for GM of the year. The Clippers quickly went from a team that had a pretty nice future to a team that is both young and ready to compete now. Getting Bagley was huge (and obviously Cousins), but you have great complimentary pieces too in Bridges, Lavine, and Solomon/Davis.

I think you've done an excellent job shaping this team so I'd agree with the "Just the beginning" title and I think you have put yourself squarely in the mix as one of the wests top teams for the next several years.