League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

An Inside Look At Portland's Camp

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Jestor
Chairman of the Board

An Inside Look At Portland's Camp

Post by Jestor »

Delany, Diallo the Younger Turn Heads
Finn Delany wowed observers

You could see the sweat glisten on his baby mustache, droplets sizzling and drizzling down his arms. Yes, Finn Delany busted his ass in the rebounding drill and really, all throughout camp. So much so, that he won the Best Camper award - a small tent trophy and the vets picking up his check at the post-camp dinner rather than the usual rookie hazing of the other way round.

"He stayed after hours, working with me on how to get into position for boards," new Blazers assistant Joakim Noah revealed. "How to angle himself for a better shot. And when he went home, he relaxed by studying the playbook and the film - especially paying attention to how Nicola Mirotic operated in the playoffs last year. He made the biggest jump in basketball awareness I've seen in person in a long, long time."

While those were his biggest leaps forward, Delany also made some key strides in his passing and in all three facets of the defensive side of the ball, in addition to some other, smaller improvements in other areas. As one observer noted, "This wasn't the one-trick pony bump in one spot or two - The Kiwi kid went HAM every drill, every session and outworked literally everyone else on this team."

It was enough of an all-around jump that the (mostly) newly-minted coaching staff discussed working the rotation to give Portland's lone rookie some backup minutes at SF - possibly even PF to get developmental playing time.

"I could see something like 10-12 minutes split between the two forward spots, then possibly a bigger role if the team looks like they're out of it," said the observer very early on in the camp.

Hamidou "The Younger" Diallo also stood out in camp

If we're being truthful, no one knew exactly what they were going to get with Hamidou Diallo. Diallo the Younger, as he's called, needs a lot of work on his shooting form and it wasn't certain just how he would respond to a new team, a new staff, and a new system.

Happily for the Blazers, he showed improvement in multiple facets - especially in terms of building on his already exceptional handling and boosting his ability to get steals. Critical to his future development - strides in his shooting. While not stunning increases, the better shooting touch was nonetheless on display. He also showcased the typical third-year physical endurance great jump forward and has generated an interesting conundrum for the coaching staff.

As the observer reported, "This is the perfect example of how steady, incremental growth can get you ahead of the curve. Now the staff is asking themselves if they want to just go ahead and put him in the starting lineup, work on his form, and have Austin Rivers come off the bench as a 6th man combo guard. It's definitely an option that's possible now - The Younger is now significantly ahead of Rivers in handling, defense, steals, IQ... and he might have stepped up his shooting enough that they go okay, we'll roll with because we have Mirotic there to provide the outside shooting anyway."

The Old, Odd Man Out
On the disappointing side, Clint Capela looked so decayed from the previous year that he's now likely to be the third-string center. "I was shocked at how bad he looked," said the observer. "I think you're going to see them go with a smallball bench frontcourt where the Kiwi plays PF next to Diallo the Elder's CE for 16 minutes. Cheick Diallo can play that role - it's something he did under this GM when Jestor drafted him in the 2nd round with the Lakers some years back. Then Kawhi Leonard can take the backup SF minutes.

Which leaves a lineup of:

PG Aaron Holiday
SG Hamidou Diallo or Austin Rivers
SF Nikola Mirotic
PF Aleksander Venzenkov (due to better rebounding than Mirotic)
CE Laurynas Birutis
Second string: Rivers/H. Diallo or Rivers/Kawhi/Delany/C. Diallo

Some Internet wags suggested that the Blazers could put both Diallos on the court at the same time because "Two Diallos are better than one".

Overall Outlook
It's difficult to project exactly where Portland falls in the Western hierarchy next season. The bench is deeper and better (only Jordan Clarkson and the still raw Grant Williams last season even belonged on a CSL roster) and Birutis is worlds better than the walking corpses of Walter Tavares and Demarcus Cousins. Even Diallo the Elder starting at center would be better than those two.

But no Marcus Smart. No Joe Ingles - the superstar and the elite defender, respectively. No Jalen Brunson - the good two-way guard, either.

Instead, what you have is a star center, an actual bench worthy of the term, and a much wider spread of solid team defenders (excusing the PF position - neither Venzenkov nor Delany are even average, but they'll have coverage around them).

Looking around the Northwest, Utah is still the team to beat in the Northwest. Denver, under One Nole's brilliant temporary GMing, snapped up Brunson and filled out the roster around Jayson Tatum to still be solid. Minnesota is up-and-coming but probably not quite there yet, and Oklahoma City is in the early stages of their rebuild.

What seems most likely is a repeat of last season - Utah takes the division easily and Portland and Denver fight it out for second place in a narrow, tight contest where the winner takes a late playoff seed and the loser heads off to the lottery.

"If I were a betting man," said the observer, "I'd say Denver takes the playoff spot. Mirotic will draw offers at the deadline, if not sooner, that tempt if not convince Portland to make the move and shift down the pecking order. They've got their picks, they're sitting on a buttload of cap space next summer... for a roster that was aging out with a window that was down to a year or two, they really quickly put themselves in position to be back sooner rather than later."
Last edited by Jestor on Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Re: An Inside Look At Portland's Camp

Post by KW »

this is a few words short of an insider...

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Yeah I meant to hit shift + enter and hit enter by mistake. In edit mode now. Y'all know the novel is coming. :P

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

KW wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:48 am this is a few words short of an insider...
For a change lol
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Edit in!

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

I second the notion of putting Diallo (the younger) in the starting lineup. Worth a shot i guess.
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

I understand the decision to let Brunson go but now the team is really lacking in high end talent, I think moving Mirotic for a rebuilding package and tanking for a top pick is the way to go. Then go into next offseason with plenty of caproom and try and do what Denver did this past free agency. Birutis is a very nice rebuilding piece and a quality center but after that the roster gets a bit iffy. Hamidou Diallo isn't bad and I understand your infatuation with him and he'll have plenty of opportunity to prove himself. Hope he works out for you.
Ball is Life.

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

I didn't realize that Smart, Ingles, and Brunson all left this offseason. Looks like I had the wrong Blazers pick... I see a lottery team here.

Hamidou is a fun prospect. I agree with blackice's assessment: Let Diallo and Biruitus run wild and see what happens. This team might be better of sliding in the standings rather than rising.
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I really like what we've got with Grant Williams but I would have loved to hang onto Diallo too.

I can see Tim giving him a good run and getting those preferences in order. Plus he'll have fun with the media too haha.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Tim's media might be the most promising thing heading into the season. It's a rather weak team this season, entirely by design. Season 1 of the rebuild, the Portland Trailblazers are just looking to see if any of their young talent can stick. I feel like it's a team of complementary pieces, and as a result may struggle for wins because of that. There's no clear star to defer to when things get down and dirty. The Blazers are going to look at Diallo, Mirotic, and Birutis for that, but I don't think any of them are good enough scorers to be asked of that consistently.

I do really like the Aaron Holiday acquisition though, but your lack of true guard depth puts too much responsibility on him.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

As always a very entertaining article Tim!! World class :-)

About the Blazers ... hard to put them right now. They got some younger and interesting talent and hopefully the player to build around in Birutis. The good camp for Diallo the younger is promising as well. With the Lakers, Clippers, Pelis improving it will be hard to crack the playoffs imo.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

I think you may wind up regretting letting Brunson walk. I think diallo will need to make that step.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done