League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

File Transition

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Re: File Transition

Post by Dennis »

Can admins somehow make some tests available? I might be too stupid but I tested the same as outlined here in an offline league and simmed the entire evening but couldn’t get my players to shoot better by using all floor ranges and prefs. Really tried hard, simmed like 40 seasons. Only thing that worked was increasing FG inside paint. I played around with floor ranges in every direction as well as prefs. Even trier 25/25/25/25 and 50/10/10/10/10/10.. it didn’t help at all. Its really a miracle to me.

If needed I can share screens
Last edited by Dennis on Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

You guys are doing amazing work thank you for everything. I would like to echo what someone said and could you perhaps give us an example of a player at each position and how they we're "fixed" for those of us still a bit fuzzy on preference work. I would love some preseason after we "fix" our 3 players.
Cleveland Cavaliers

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Okay here my findings after like 5 hours of testing how to fix it I guess
FGRA and FGIP are now exactly like FGJ or COR. That means with the old inside shooting ratings you wont get anywhere (50ish FGRA, 35ish FGRA) unless you have a good FGRA plus dunk frequency. Thats why our bigs aren’t too impacted.
Tried something like
70 restricted area shooting rating
50 inside paint
40 midrange
38 corner
36 ATB

Of the solid inside shooter non is below like 80-100 FGI rating (player page FGI, we barely have some above 70) in the standardfile as well.

Dunk frequency at 10/15/20/25

And the player shot 47% 5 seasons in a row with normal splits 60-75%FG inside 0-3, 42-50%FG 3-10 and rest roughly in line with his ratings above. I can share my test file if needed.

Spacing of the team btw had zero impact.
Same goes for prefs or floor ranges in my files. It only had an impact if someone isn’t good at a certain area and took to many shots of it (like big shooting 3s).

What doesn’t work anymore is boosting guards with post as floor range though.
Last edited by Dennis on Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CSL Champions Image 2028

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Ps: messaging Gary for conformation

CSL Champions Image 2028

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I haven't had time but has anyone played around with the default file? You would think the default ratings would be set to match the engine (although it is a Gorski game we're talking about so maybe not).

I mean if so, is the game setting inside ratings correctly so percentages look okay and what is it doing?

Like I said though, could be way off and out of whack too haha. I might have some time in a day or so to take a closer look.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

bt wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:06 am I haven't had time but has anyone played around with the default file? You would think the default ratings would be set to match the engine (although it is a Gorski game we're talking about so maybe not).

I mean if so, is the game setting inside ratings correctly so percentages look okay and what is it doing?

Like I said though, could be way off and out of whack too haha. I might have some time in a day or so to take a closer look.
I have a single player file but hasn’t really played as much as I wanted. One thing I noticed though is spme ratings were apart from what CSL is. And I think alike you, the ratings are supposed to match the engine.

Changes made to blocks and steals helps it get closer, but honestly there’s more stuff that could change in order to align with default file better. I’ll have a look after but I’m pretty sure Jon and Andre are aware and testing stuff already

And like they said, there might be way more changes coming after one season. It’s probably not enough time to figure out what could change, honestly.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

bt wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:06 am I haven't had time but has anyone played around with the default file? You would think the default ratings would be set to match the engine (although it is a Gorski game we're talking about so maybe not).

Yes see my post above.. its all explained

CSL Champions Image 2028

bt

Post by bt »

I thought you entered ratings to match CSL stuff but that might have been someone else or I misinterpreted something.

I'll go back and check if your results were from the default file.
sacramento kings

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

bt wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:34 am I thought you entered ratings to match CSL stuff but that might have been someone else or I misinterpreted something.

I'll go back and check if your results were from the default file.
I have the default file with the durants etc and there i entered bridges and fox of which i roughly knoe shooting ratings. But both wont do anything compared to the default ones because our FGIRA FGIP are totally off for what you need now. Ante, durant etc are the most efficient ones with ratings you would expect like ~80 FGIR and like ~55 FGIP (PG SG SF only) shooting ~50%

But summsrized it above. Changing prefs and or locations didnt do anything. I fully trust the admins but im wondering why their results are not in line with the default file or any of my testings. Fox and Bridges are always arouns 36-42% depending on floor ranges and prefs because of course those impact the FG% as they are not everywhere equally efficient. They are way below normal no matter of pref or range though. The 45-50% shooting guards have 20-30 points higher FGiRA and FGiP ratings than csl players.

Thst why i asked if they can share results. I will post some screens once back at notebook

CSL Champions Image 2028

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

I think some have already pointed this out, but after a quick look the "problem" (if there is one) is that the dunk rate / frequency has been changed in the engine. We always had low inside shooting ratings in the CSL, and players were made "artificially efficient" (if you allow me to use that expression) by placing them in the post and telling them to drive, so they ended up dunking and converting a naturally inefficient player into an efficient one. That resulted in something weird as small and light players dominating in the post. Now that the dunking rate / frequency seems to have changed in the engine, we may be seeing what these players actually are in terms of shooting efficiency.

Edit: To support that theory, outside shooters are not affected. True post players (high ITP), as Tariq Owens, are not affected. This latter case confirms the change in how dunk works now. He converts 52.9 % from 3-10 ft (ITP), and only 37.9 % from 0-3 ft (the RA/dunk rate/frequency).
ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

The only thing I noticed in my tests speaking against that is that I didn’t see way better results between 10/15/20/25 dunk freq. only when I go to50-75 it becomes different for guards.

CSL Champions Image 2028

bt

Post by bt »

mgtr81 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:02 am I think some have already pointed this out, but after a quick look the "problem" (if there is one) is that the dunk rate / frequency has been changed in the engine. We always had low inside shooting ratings in the CSL, and players were made "artificially efficient" (if you allow me to use that expression) by placing them in the post and telling them to drive, so they ended up dunking and converting a naturally inefficient player into an efficient one. That resulted in something weird as small and light players dominating in the post. Now that the dunking rate / frequency seems to have changed in the engine, we may be seeing what these players actually are in terms of shooting efficiency.

Edit: To support that theory, outside shooters are not affected. True post players (high ITP), as Tariq Owens, are not affected. This latter case confirms the change in how dunk works now. He converts 52.9 % from 3-10 ft (ITP), and only 37.9 % from 0-3 ft (the RA/dunk rate/frequency).
I'm not sure Owens is a good example though if this scouting report was semi-accurate.

https://www.championsimleague.com/viewt ... 10#p132610

From that sounds like he was great ITP and poor at the rim although whoever created him will know more.
sacramento kings

bt

Post by bt »

I feel like only admins or draft guys can have anything concrete as we don't know any RA rates or shooting ratings.. and I don't want to know them so they would be the ones to figure this out.

All I know over years and years of using DDS games, or what I assume anyway, is that the shooting ratings are the percentages that someone would shoot from those areas with variables baked in (position, defender, strategy, etc). Largely playing out around those averages so all I can assume is that if a guy is shooting those percentages from those ranges, that's what the ratings for those areas are.

Miles Bridges shooting 38.8% at the rim and 39.4% from 3-10. Do we assume his RA rate is somewhere around 36-40? Is his ITP rate around 38-42 perhaps? If so, the game probably isn't far off because that's how we rated these guys and as we all know, DDS19 and DDS22 have some higher paint rates compared to the scouting reports I've got anyway.

The fact the game doesn't allow floor preference changes but we do can definitely mess things up as we've found in DDS19. I assume that's why Gorski never allowed it?
sacramento kings

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

bt wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:18 am I feel like only admins or draft guys can have anything concrete as we don't know any RA rates or shooting ratings.. and I don't want to know them so they would be the ones to figure this out.

All I know over years and years of using DDS games, or what I assume anyway, is that the shooting ratings are the percentages that someone would shoot from those areas with variables baked in (position, defender, strategy, etc). Largely playing out around those averages so all I can assume is that if a guy is shooting those percentages from those ranges, that's what the ratings for those areas are.

Miles Bridges shooting 38.8% at the rim and 39.4% from 3-10. Do we assume his RA rate is somewhere around 36-40? Is his ITP rate around 38-42 perhaps? If so, the game probably isn't far off because that's how we rated these guys and as we all know, DDS19 and DDS22 have some higher paint rates compared to the scouting reports I've got anyway.

The fact the game doesn't allow floor preference changes but we do can definitely mess things up as we've found in DDS19. I assume that's why Gorski never allowed it?
It's what I have always noticed to be the same, but at least from the tests Dennis has ran. It seems like those numbers (at least for inside shooting) have changed. In the default file Durant had an fgi of 100 and shot 52%. That certainly would not be the case in Gary's previous engines.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

bt

Post by bt »

Default 22?

Man just checked and Durant is 76 RA, 56 ITP, 56 Mid, 37 ATB and 38 Corner. An elite scorer so at the high end of course but just looking at my scouts now, I don't recall anyone ever being remotely like that. Geez a mid 40's mid was considered elite in my estimation, an ITP of early 50's also?

Imagine that in DDS19? Dude would score 100 a game at an impressive clip so there has been a major change in the way the game uses those ratings.
sacramento kings

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

bt wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:10 am
mgtr81 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:02 am I think some have already pointed this out, but after a quick look the "problem" (if there is one) is that the dunk rate / frequency has been changed in the engine. We always had low inside shooting ratings in the CSL, and players were made "artificially efficient" (if you allow me to use that expression) by placing them in the post and telling them to drive, so they ended up dunking and converting a naturally inefficient player into an efficient one. That resulted in something weird as small and light players dominating in the post. Now that the dunking rate / frequency seems to have changed in the engine, we may be seeing what these players actually are in terms of shooting efficiency.

I'm not sure Owens is a good example though if this scouting report was semi-accurate.

https://www.championsimleague.com/viewt ... 10#p132610

From that sounds like he was great ITP and poor at the rim although whoever created him will know more.
53% from 3-10 feet sounds roughly accurate for Owens. That far below 50% at the rim absolutely does not.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Go look at bbref pages of some bad finishers in the league. Basically nobody shoots under 50% at the rim.

bt

Post by bt »

Agree but sounds like his is under 50 though then if it's not meant to be that far below it.

Maybe those low ratings are causing havoc in the new engine now.
sacramento kings

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

bt wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:23 am Default 22?

Man just checked and Durant is 76 RA, 56 ITP, 56 Mid, 37 ATB and 38 Corner. An elite scorer so at the high end of course but just looking at my scouts now, I don't recall anyone ever being remotely like that. Geez a mid 40's mid was considered elite in my estimation, an ITP of early 50's also?

Imagine that in DDS19? Dude would score 100 a game at an impressive clip so there has been a major change in the way the game uses those ratings.
Yep exactly. And thats what I mean in all my posts. And that ratings of durant result in arouns 50-53% shooting. So our ratings result in what we saw in preseason. Andre somewhere said in his testing a fox and co always shot 43-48% though.

I just cant find a way to get similar results even when changing floor ranges and prefs heavily

CSL Champions Image 2028

Sharkn20
Senior Vice President

Post by Sharkn20 »

Thank You for the hard work in testing the Commisioners are doing. Am pretty sure the best decisions for the league will be made eventually.

Yes to more preseason sims.