League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Boston: Celtics Wrap Up Rough Offseason

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Boston: Celtics Wrap Up Rough Offseason

Post by Dennis »

Boston, Massachussetts - A rough offseason ended for the Celtics this week in signing three more players in free agency. While many believe they only signed John Henson, Shabazz Napier and Travis Wear to have more trade assets, the management ensured that it is not the case.
Dennis: We didn't sign them to just trade them again. Our trade block made it clear that we were in the hunt for a defensive minded Center and a combo guard who provides solid offense and defense. We found both in signing Napier and Henson. Also their contracts indicate they are signed for the long run. Their contracts expire right when Skal and co. need their extensions. So we are definitely fine with keeping them the next three years. However, like in every players case, we won't say no if an offer rolls around that we can't pass on.
In total the franchise added 8 new players. Next to the three freeagents they signed, draftees De'Aron Fox, Kevin Knox, Ike Anigbogu and Mathias Lessort joined the roster alongside newly acquired TJ Warren. Being at 13 players now, it seems it is unrealistic the management will be able to find minutes for all of them.
Dennis: It's true. We won't be able to find minutes for all players. We are loaded everywhere and definitely will be searching for a consolidation deal. Especially keeping in mind that we will have four more first rounders in the next two seasons. We don't even have enough roster spots to be able to sign the incoming draftpicks. However, right now none of the players we would consider to trade for are on the market. Hence, we have to wait for the Exums, Wiggins' and Dunns to be available. No idea when it will happen, or if it will even happen, but we are one of the few teams that is ready to offer a fair deal. We have many assets and contracts to match nearly every salary.
Yet many have been disappointed by Boston's offseason. GMs around the league think Fox was a reach at pick 5 and that Knox won't be able to hit any shots. On top the only great get, Justin Patton, was traded to the Houston Rockets in exchange for the 27th overall pick Ike Anigbogu and the 23' Clippers first round pick. So was the Clippers tough luck the Celtics offseason savior?
Dennis: I think many GMs are wrong when they think about Fox being a reach at 5. He's a great fit for us next to Skal Labissiere and Isaia Cordinier. Wouldn't you love to have a Terry Rozier that can shoot on your team? Knox is a wildcard, but if he develops he will be a great scorer and should become a player being able to carry a team on his own. In general we will need another two seasons until all our guys got their endurance boost, but as soon as they did - watch out. With Detroit giving up their core (and Kemba starting to decline), Cleveland and Toronto aging, there is only Miami that we are fearing right now. Of ouse we wont be able to bring back all our guys, but we now have three seasons with our core without having to worry about financials. Expect us to use those three years as good as possible.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Re: Boston: Celtics Wrap Up Rough Offseason

Post by Stockton12 »

Rough off season ? More like you stole players lol

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Stockton12 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:04 pm Rough off season ? More like you stole players lol
Hahaha I agree it was not a rough off season... I really like the make up of your team especially w Skal and Fox being your young anchors
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Dennis with the click bait title! Man you had a good offseason, the free agency was practically perfect for you, as you got a bunch of vets to mentor your rookies on bargain deals.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Dennis knows how to get the most out of his players. So i expect those 3 to play and play well. Which will increase the chance an offer he cant pass up on rolls around.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

poor dennis, only had four top 20 selections this year and then traded one for a late 1st and a future pick from a playoff team that happened to lose EVERYONE in free agency. my condolences- can't imagine how rough this offseason must've been. hopefully you'll pull through

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

BizGilwalker wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:47 am poor dennis, only had four top 20 selections this year and then traded one for a late 1st and a future pick from a playoff team that happened to lose EVERYONE in free agency. my condolences- can't imagine how rough this offseason must've been. hopefully you'll pull through
:lol: Pretty much.
Cleveland Cavaliers

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

drumr wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:50 am
BizGilwalker wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:47 am poor dennis, only had four top 20 selections this year and then traded one for a late 1st and a future pick from a playoff team that happened to lose EVERYONE in free agency. my condolences- can't imagine how rough this offseason must've been. hopefully you'll pull through
:lol: Pretty much.
Couldn't have said it better haha :lol:
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

It's about what could have been! Missed out on lauri ball and Ingram at 5, smith Jr at 12, love refusing to sign with us. So it's all about what could have been for Boston.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

My eyes are rolling so hard they ejected from my sockets and I'm now blind.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Hah kind of a slap for the Clippers who actually had a rough off-season. The Celtics will definitely be a playoff team, but being so young and losing Conley I think will make them take a step back this year once the playoffs roll around. This team would make Sam Hinkie proud to keep trading for young talent and picks, but hopefully Dennis decides to consolidate at some point and get some good veterans while they have the assets to try for a ring.

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Yeah, this is comical Dennis. LOL. It wasn't anything stellar but it certainly wasn't rough. My chips are on the side of these guys being trade chips before the season is out. They don't fit the plan, at least not all of them.
Clown.Show.League

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Not a rough offseason but I wonder what would have happened had they tried to sign Lillard as a trade chip. I'll be curious to see how the team develops. Obviously DJ knows all of the future rating potentials but from the outside looking in it seems to be a team built similar to Phoenix. I'm not sure if I see a superstar but several borderline star level players. I'm not sure if they have the collection of defenders Phoenix had though
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Fox was #2 on my board.
ImageImageImageImageImage