League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Clippers 2023-24 Season Preview

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Dylan
Senior Vice President

Clippers 2023-24 Season Preview

Post by Dylan »

An eventful summer in Los Angeles saw wholesale changes to the Clippers roster. As has been the philosophy since Dylan took over as GM, no one is safe until there's a satisfactory roster in place. That certainly showed this off-season, with only five players returning from last season.

First, let's take a look at the moves the Clippers made:

Rawle Alkins was a main target for the Clippers this offseason
Trades:
IN: G Travis Trice, G Rawle Alkins, F/C Clint Capela

The Clippers acquired Trice, Alkins and Capela in a series a moves that included shipping out key players from last season like Gary Harris and Moe Harkless. The moves accomplished a few goals for the Clippers: get younger, cheaper and find better fits for the long term.

Alkins and Trice are both still on their rookie contracts, and were players the Clippers targeted from the get go. Alkins has proven himself to be a quality scorer off the bench, with the ability to shoot, play-make and not be a liability defensively. Trice has established himself as a quality CSL backup, with a good mix of playmaking and the ability to play very solid defense.

Capela was a bit different. A CSL veteran, and to some extent slightly overpaid, Capela saw himself the odd man out in a very talented Chicago Bulls frontcourt. But he's a solid big man across the board - he's not way above average in any aspect but he's solid in every facet of the big man game. He's not a liability defensively, he's a threat offensively and is a decent rebounder and shot blocker. Under contract for four more years, the Clippers feel he can be a big piece now and even a solid trade chip going forward.

Collin Sexton could find himself as the starting point guard in his rookie season

Draft:
IN: G Coliln Sexton, F/C Chimezie Metu, G/F Theo Pinson

The Clippers traded into the #15 slot specifically targeting Sexton, despite being worried the Nets would take him with the 14th pick. Brooklyn selected Derrickson, helping Dylan land the talented young point guard he's been eyeing since very early in the season.

The Clippers also owned the Rockets first round pick from a previous deal, and selected Metu, the defensive first big man from USC. Metu was someone the Clippers had been scouting since very early on in the season, and with a few offensive minded big men already on the roster, he turns out to be a solid fit in a pretty crowded front court.

Lastly, the Clippers sent a future second rounder to the Charlotte Hornets for the 41st pick to select Theo Pinson from UNC. Pinson is someone the Clippers have had their eye on since the draft spotlight articles way back at the beginning of last season, and will provide cheap wing depth and some versatility to play 1-3.

Damien Inglis was a Clippers target since the middle of last season

Free Agency:
IN: F Damien Inglis, G/F Nicolas Batum, G Lance Stephenson

Free agency was very eventful for the Clippers. They were a finalist for CSL superstar Paul George, but their offer fell just short as he went to New Orleans. After losing on George, the Clippers immediately pivoted to Inglis, a wing they've targeted for months, trying to trade for him since before the trade deadline. A talented and proven 3&D wing, Inglis was viewed as a perfect fit next to Hezonja, and the Clippers certainly paid him as such with a 4 year, $51 million deal.

With a good bit of cap space remaining after signing Inglis, the Clippers inked veteran wing Nicolas Batum to a 1 year, $10 million contract. The Clippers were looking for another wing who could shoot from outside and play some defense, and found Batum to be the right fit. By overpaying him for one year, they made sure they had the best offer on the market while also rolling their cap space over to next year. The Clippers used their $2.8 million room exception on veteran Lance Stephenson. Stephenson didn't play a ton for Boston last season, but he's an experienced guard who can provide good depth for a young, inexperienced team.

Additionally, the Clippers secured long term deals with two of their own in free agency, signing face of the franchise Mario Hezonja to a 5-year, $66 million deal and big man Ivica Zubac to a 5-year, $30 million deal. The Clippers waited as long as they could to re-sign their own guys so they could maximize their cap space, but never had any intention on letting either sign an offer sheet with another team.

Travis Trice has the chance to compete for the starting point guard spot

Training Camp Battles:

With training camp approaching, a number of position battles are set to take place. With only two definite starters in place, there's a ton of jobs to be won and lost in the Clippers rotation this upcoming season.

Point Guard:

The starting point guard battle between Travis Trice and rookie Collin Sexton might be the best competition in Clippers camp. Trice is the experienced one of the two, but Sexton is the future and might already be the more talented player. Will Terry Stotts side with the experience or the raw talent?

Big Men:

The Clippers have five big men they feel can play a role in the rotation, but only two can start and there's a chance one of them falls out of the rotation completely. Capela most likely has himself a starting spot, but alongside him the Clippers can go a few different ways. They could go really big with Capela and veterans Enes Kanter or Ivica Zubac, or younger options in Harry Giles or Chimezie Metu. Metu is the least likely to start, but with a defense-first mindset unlike the rest, will almost certainly find himself in the rotation. The Clippers could even consider small ball with Damien Inglis starting at power forward.

Potential Depth Chart:

Collin Sexton/Travis Trice
Mario Hezonja/Rawle Alkins/Lance Stephenson
Damien Inglis/Nicolas Batum/Theo Pinson
Ivica Zubac/Harry Giles/Chimezie Metu
Clint Capela/Enes Kanter/Chimezie Metu

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Re: Clippers 2023-24 Season Preview

Post by KW »

You have a pretty deep team. Consolidation deals are tough to get sometimes, but there are some nice pieces here that you can use to get a real difference maker.

I don't believe this is a good team yet but nice steps in the right direction.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Yeah I think you have a number of trades ahead of you, but being able to land Inglis was huge for your team. Not quite a playoff team, but you have a lot of assets now which you didnt have when you first took over. Not having your pick will still hurt, but the arrow is pointing up.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

I am super impressed by the revamped roster, you did a wonderful job and this team is no longer lacking in assets and talent. I really hope you guys perform and I wouldn't be shocked if this team made the playoffs - the only issue is the West is stacked but you have the tools to do well. Your perimeter defense is super underrated.
Ball is Life.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This is looking a lot better already, but still got ways to go. Lord, so many former Wizards on this team, might as well be the Wizards West hahahaha.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

hardenwithnod wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:23 pm This is looking a lot better already, but still got ways to go. Lord, so many former Wizards on this team, might as well be the Wizards West hahahaha.
Lol obviously I knew the 3 from last year, but didn't know Kanter and Zubac both played there too. That's over a third of my roster lol

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Let's just combine our rosters together.

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

hardenwithnod wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:27 pm Let's just combine our rosters together.
Or just trade me Milos and make it 6.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Give me all your picks!

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

hardenwithnod wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:34 pm Give me all your picks!
Did someone call?
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

You are trying and aren't a bad gm. Just there are plenty of other good GM's out there.

Hang in there, eventually it will get better
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Some solid moves, and you were willing to pay to secure the players you wanted. I will be following Sexton to see if he is the second coming of tj McConnell or if he can develop into a solid starter or not

My one prediction is that you will grow tired of hezonja within a season or two and will be looking to get rid of him anyway you can
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

I mean, I hope this team sucks ass this year. Hezonja looks like a good tank commander, he reminds me of Michael Redd on the NBA Bucks a little (though I might be way off haha). I'd be surprised if this team wasn't active around the trade deadline. Inglis is solid but doesn't fit the timeline in LAC. Good offseason though!
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

I'm really looking forward to seeing Rawle Alkins unleashed. His minutes have been limited throughout his career as he's been on strong teams, but I think he's better than what we've seen thus far.

As everyone else has said, great moves this offseason and you've done a good job restocking this roster with actual CSL talent. I personally think you'll need to make a ton of trades to turn these guys into the assets or players of the next great Clippers team, as I think you are still in the asset gathering step of rebuilding, but great first step.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Seeing the roster you took over and the team now is like night and day.
Good and very structured moves to build this team up. I think Sexton could be a big steal and will follow his career start closely.