League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

As a GM I play to win plain and simple

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

Members who join the world of the CSL basketball league come for a variety of different reasons, some want the opportunity to manage their favourite team and enjoy the idea that they can control the franchise they have loved since a small child, and others join to share their passion for basketball with other like-minded people. But there is one GM who is here for one reason and one reason only, to win at all costs like in a ruthless game of chess he is here with one clear goal and one clear ambition to become the greatest GM the CSL has ever seen, the Houston Rockets GM KW.
So it should be no surprise that the Rockets have probably had the greatest offseason we have ever seen in the CSL and the team has one target for this coming season, to win and to continue winning big. But in a league which has seen a up and down draft, a IT glitch and a new free agency process just how has KW and his burning ambition managed to leave 29 other General Manager in his dust as we head out of the offseason exit and into the highway of the regular season?

The Draft
If we cast our minds back to the pre-draft KW and the Houston Rockets did not hold a single first round pick this year. Through a variety of past trades to land the likes of Kemba Walker and KAT the Rockets were heading into the draft with limited opportunity to pick up any top talent this year, which for 29 other GM’s who if in the Rockets position would of thought that was fine considering Houston had just come off a Conference Finals defeat. But when you are driven to succeed and win at all costs KW will of looked at previous models of success such as Phoenix, Sacramento, Detroit and Miami and realised that one key to winning is to consistently be in and around the lottery every single year. If you can pick up a top player on that cheap rookie deal it will make your life so much easier, even better if the guy you can pick up oozes potential as a trade asset.

Like an eagle searching high above the sky for possible prey KW found his option to jump into the draft early at pick 6, the Lakers and Indiana had struck a deal early in the offseason to switch picks 3 and 6 along with Emannuel Mudiay and DeMar DeRozan, sensing that the Pacers would likely not of scouted that well as the Indiana GM was new to the league and still getting a feel for the player profiles. There was a great opportunity to get in and switch some future assets and a young starter in Justin Patton’s 2 year remaining rookie years to get in at pick 6 and possibly grab Michael Porter, a guy who many expected to drop due to his raw talent but huge potential. A nice possible asset to flip later down the line like a Kevin Knox or stash and keep like and Isaiah Cousins. Regardless of dealing a few future picks and Patton the main goal was a achieved, in order to win you need to take bold decisions to keep on the right side of younger talent, KW and the Rockets has achieved this here.

The Trade
Post draft is also another great time to strike and get a deal over the line. When you are a team looking to win you often have to seek out deals and attach yourself to them to squeeze out as much value as you can, because if you can do this then you are continually keeping yourself ahead of the game and making sure that whilst others are improving themselves you are limiting this as much as possible whilst still remaining at the top. KW and the Rockets managed to achieve this in 2 deals, attaching Aminu to the Spurs/Toronto trade for 2 2nd round picks and attaching Troy Daniels a controversial 3 point gunner with no defence to a larger Memphis, Indiana, San Antonio trade. Getting back 4 2nd prund picks 2 of which are Memphis 2nd round picks which could be helpful for future transactions is nice but the real kicker here is that this salary saved from Aminu and Troy Daniels which enabled the Rockets to get a maximum slot open for the free agency period, which meant there would be a very small window of opportunity for the Rockets to chase a big name star to add to Monk, Walker and KAT before KAT’s RFA status was enforced and the Rockets would need to match any offer. Often to be one of the very best teams in the league it is deals like this which help the elite teams stay ahead of the rest seeking that opportunity and recognising what could happen 2/3 moves down the line. To achieve something like this takes real skill and the ability to understand just how the trade market and financials are moving to be able to capitalise on the chase for shooting ahead of DDS19 and be able to get the best value possible from this demand.

Free agency
Every single GM in the league knew that this season’s free agency period would be one of ups and down and generate a large amount of interest. For one it is probably the best free agency class we have ever seen in the CSL, with big name RFA’s Winslow, Herzonja and KAT hitting free agency for the first time but also some huge CSL stars entering the market, Marcus Smart, Dante Exum, Paul George and James Harden to name a few, all of which have the ability to transform a franchise overnight. This combine with the changes to the free agency process had a recipe to create some fascinating opportunities. Yes in hindsight we can all sit here and say that we should of cleared the cap space and really chased a big name or two but there is only one elite GM and team which grabbed the opportunity by the horns and forced the issue causing a league-wide meltdown as other GM’s gasped in shock as to how the Rockets pulled off the swoop to net one of the league’s biggest stars in James Harden. KW and his drive and ambition to go all in for the tiniest opportunity meant that with Troy Daniel’s salary off the books and KAT sitting pretty in RFA and its minimal cap hold he could chase every top free agent on the market with maximum money (or close to maximum). The Rockets through previous deals had an exciting roster for any top free agent looking to win now and the money to bring in a star player. KW had even managed to outsmart some of the leagues very best GM’s in this move with other elite teams so focused on retaining their players they did not recognise the opportunity this change in free agency process presented. GM’s complained that Houston were throwing around cash like a 21 year old in Vegas for the first time with little care for the impact this was having, but when you as a GM are here with one clear purpose if the rules are not in place limiting this why not do this? Houston had beaten everyone at the new game and simply outsmarted 29 other GM’s. Like with most first movers in a market other Gm’s cottoned on to the strategy and landed their own all-stars (Washington) but before this occurred the Rocket had landed Harden to form what is the greatest starting roster since the Dallas Maverick All-Stars and will be hoping that talent, fit and elite GMing will be enough to bring them the crown this year.

Until the rest of the league recognises the strategy and ability to stay one step ahead with some fantastic offseason moves the Houston Rockets GM KW will continue to be a revolutionary in maximising opportunities, be it through targeted trading, drafting value or great financial management to bring in the every best free agents it could be a long time before we see another Western Conference franchise assemble this much talent in such a short space of time.
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Re: As a GM I play to win plain and simple

Post by Myles »

Cleasby wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 am Like with most first movers in a market other Gm’s cottoned on to the strategy and landed their own all-stars (Washington)
I can’t tell if this is masterful wordplay or a typo, since Washington landed Cotton

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

I think he's trying to go with a clever word play hahaha.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Appreciate the article!

Took a while to get here (round 1 was our first series win in 5 years), but I hope that my aggressive/reckless GMing style has built up a good enough team to win it all. I'm not GMing at the level of Miami, Phoenix, etc who have a steady stream of high picks every year despite winning 50+ games and making runs in the playoffs, I've definitely made some moves I regret in the process (i can outline how bad a few of these were some other time). But I'm confident in the team I have.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Myles wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:41 pm
Cleasby wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 am Like with most first movers in a market other Gm’s cottoned on to the strategy and landed their own all-stars (Washington)
I can’t tell if this is masterful wordplay or a typo, since Washington landed Cotton
Wordplay. cottoned on doesn't get nearly enough usage as it used to and it's a shame, because it's a useful description

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

“Targeted trading” :lol:
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Interesting article. I dont even know what to take of it lol
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

Pretty here Houston traded up to 6 to draft Kaiser Gates, not Michael Porter
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

This is a really well-written, entertaining article Chris. My initial reactions:

1. I think you hit the nail on the head in regards to Kyrus’s GMing style. He’s obviously a very smart and calculating GM. He’s also pretty ruthless and regularly skirts the line (unapologetically), which is always going to make him a very polarizing figure. Albeit, he does stay within the written rules. I know he’s in the computer tech industry, but I can’t help but think he should’ve explored becoming a lawyer haha.

2. I think saying Houston outsmarted 29 other GMs in FA is a bit of hyperbole. I get what is being conveyed. He succeeded at what he was trying to accomplish in free agency, no doubt. He did a great job of trading away very marginal players to open up max cap space, and he did a good job of identifying the opportunity afforded in this free agency to send out limitless offers to increase the odds of landing another star (he was not the only GM to identify this part though). But every team/GM was facing different circumstances. It’s hard to say he outsmarted every other GM in the league, when every GM in the league is playing a different game (so to speak).

3. He’s on record as saying he traded into #6 to draft Gates. Porter was his back-up option that was a nice value pick. I don’t think Porter fits the currently constructed Rockets though, as he’s an offensively gifted prospect on a team that many would say already has too many cooks in the kitchen. Between Harden, Kemba, Monk, and KAT, I don’t think Porter makes nearly the same impact on this team than he would on teams lacking a #1 scorer. I fully expect Porter to get traded for a better fit this year, given that Houston’s time to win is now while Kemba and Harden are still there and still playing at a high level.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

1) I would be a god awful lawyer. I'm actually terrible at arguing and much worse if I have to verbally do it on the spot. I'll stay behind my computer thanks. :Lol:

2) I went into the offseason hoping to build a defensive juggernaut that scores well enough.

Gates was 100% my top target in the draft. My draft board was Gates #1, Porter #2, JJJ #3, and everyone else after that. Gates being the ideal fit for my team of scorers, the others for sheer talent that you just can't pass on, even of the fit isn't perfect.

Then, my top FA targets were defensive beasts- Exum and Okaro, with Harden as the immediate backup plan. Had we been able to send three ranked offers, this is the order I would've sent them.

In both cases I ended up with the super scorer over the defensive guy. So now I'm hoping this is an offensive juggernaut that defends well enough rather than the other way around. Last seasons balanced core remains intact so I don't think we're deficient anywhere.

3) As for all the cooks in the kitchen, I'm not all that worried. It'll be great for resting guys in the regular season, and great for rotations come playoff season. I think the passing on this team is top notch, we can get it from every position. Our role players are typically low usage defensive guys (no Quarterman types) which should maximize attempts for the stars.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

yea i am not concerned either about the scoring. my dallas team had scorers just as good as houstons and we did fine. sometimes i wonder if we had too many as it took some shots away but all of our scorers were efficient, similar to houstons, so i didnt really care who took the shots.

i do wonder if he has enough defense as i do not believe his teams defense is as good as the dallas team i had, which didnt even win it all. (damn you Westbrook) but with that said, the west is far far far weaker than it was 3 seasons ago, or even last season for that matter.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Play to win, aka legally cheat.
Clown.Show.League

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

KW wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:13 pm 1) I would be a god awful lawyer. I'm actually terrible at arguing and much worse if I have to verbally do it on the spot. I'll stay behind my computer thanks. :Lol:
There are all sorts of lawyers, some of which never speak in a courtroom or hearing. Some become subject matter experts in a certain legal field, and just advise/give counsel (i.e. a corporation lawyer).

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

GreenBear wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:07 pm
KW wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:13 pm 1) I would be a god awful lawyer. I'm actually terrible at arguing and much worse if I have to verbally do it on the spot. I'll stay behind my computer thanks. :Lol:
There are all sorts of lawyers, some of which never speak in a courtroom or hearing. Some become subject matter experts in a certain legal field, and just advise/give counsel (i.e. a corporation lawyer).
I work in the legal field (immigration law) and I can confirm this, 90% of the work most lawyers do is paper work. Of course some firms are almost exclusively litigation firms in which you have to go to court but that's a different animal. I rarely have to go to court anymore.
Ball is Life.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Anyway, Bender should thrive (moreso even then last season) as his glue guy ability and strong defense fit well. I'd stagger Monk and Harden's minutes but I do think there will have to be a concerted effort to get everyone their touches.
Ball is Life.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

blackice wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:51 pm Anyway, Bender should thrive (moreso even then last season) as his glue guy ability and strong defense fit well. I'd stagger Monk and Harden's minutes but I do think there will have to be a concerted effort to get everyone their touches.
the current plan is to start and close with Monk/Kemba/Harden and then just rotate them to have two out there for the entire rest of the game. Need more depth back there for the regular season though

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Polarizing article about a polarizing GM :-)
I guess all 30 GM are quite competitive and like every time in live, some are willing to go a little further to reach the ultimate goal. I'm getting older and lost my uber competitive spirit back from my bball days. For me it is just all fun right now, where I of course try to win it all, but it will not cost me any sleep if I don't.
I enjoy the conversation with some great GM's and see how different the approach for everyone is.

In the end Kyrus did a great job and getting everything in place and has a super team assembled. I'm not a fan of super teams since the LeBronze Miami days and it will be interesting to see what results it can net here.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Don't remind me...

Anyway Houston is the favorite this year. They played their cards right. Kudos
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson