League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Top 5 Most Overrated Prospects

Write updates about your team or the league here.
hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Top 5 Most Overrated Prospects

Post by hardenwithnod »

Number 10 in the Big Board, are you kidding me???

Disclaimer: These evaluations are based on my scouts only, and as we all know, the standard deviations are quite huge, so my evaluation could be completely different from yours, so keep that in mind when you see these 5 players on my overrated list. Hopefully my scouts are good, and aren't completely off the rails!

1. Trevon Duval - Point guard
Big Board Ranking: 10

Look, I have tremendous respect for Coach K at Duke, as he's arguably the greatest college basketball coach of all time. HOWEVER, Duval is definitely one of the least fundamentally sound Duke player I have ever seen entering this league. Sure, Duval has fantastic handles, and his passing ability is up there with the likes of Lonzo Ball, but that's about the only thing he can do right. Jump shot? Broke. 3 point shot? Non existent. Finishing in the inside? Maybe if the hoop is 3 feet tall. And for as good of an athlete he is, Duval also seems to be allergic to the boards, as he spends more time waiting for his teammates to give him the ball than actually going after the loose balls.

For someone with such a good understanding of the game, Duval's lack of discipline is absolutely baffling. This kid makes some of the dumbest fouls I have ever seen, and he spent more time gambling, and cherry picking on defense than LaMelo Ball. He's pretty much a Marcelo Huertas with a worse jumper, and discipline of a middle school basketball player. Top 10 in the Big Board? Are you serious right now?

Brandon McCoy - Center
Big Board Ranking: 13

There's no doubt McCoy is a physical specie man, as he's a 7-1, 265 lbs giant that loves to use his big body to bully everyone that's in his way in college. However, can you do the same when he faces off against the superior athletes in the CSL today? That's where the huge doubt comes to my mind. For someone that's so physically imposing, his lack of ability to protect the rim is very concerning to me. Sure, this kid knows his game well, and he will be very efficient being a low post scorer. He also has good hands, and will catch any lobs that thrown to his way, but his negligence on defense makes him not a lottery talent in my opinion.

Also, he seems to be a little bit gun shy on offense, and doesn't demand the ball much. There will be stretches of game where you won't even notice he is on the floor, and for someone that relies on being a big bully on offense, that's also very concerning. Also, he isn't a great passer down low either, and he doesn't exactly have all world basketball IQ either. I am not saying this kid doesn't have a future in the league, but he simply doesn't belong in the lottery.

Cameron Oliver - Power Forward
Big Board Ranking: 18

Jack of all trade, master of none is probably the best way to describe Oliver's game. Some will say he will have a place in this league due to his versatility, but realistically speaking how many of such player has flamed out in the CSL thus far? Oliver is a 6-8, 225 lbs power forward that's not big enough to be a full time 4, but also doesn't have a consistent enough outside shot to be a wing, so what exactly do you do with this kid? He does have some unique play making ability, and his rebounding will actually be very good for a wing, but his lack of man to man defense could make him a liability at the wing position. Meanwhile his lack of size, and quick hands might make him a defensive liability on defense.

Maybe he can excel under certain GMs that knows how to maximize versatile guys such as Oilver, (Kyrus, Houston GM comes to mind) but to me when you carry these many question marks, then you are more suited as a late first round pick at best.

Yuta Wantanabe - Small Forward
Big Board Ranking: 21

As a fellow Asian, of course I want to see a fellow Asian athlete succeed in the CSL. Unfortunately, I just don't think Yuta belongs in the CSL. He's already 23 years old, and time is running against him in regards to potential development at this point of his career. Yuta hustles hard on the boards, and is a surprisingly springy athlete that can finish with authority, but his best parts of the game ends here.

Defensively he doesn't have a good understanding of the game, and for as good of an athlete as he is, he doesn't know how to use that to his advantage. He struggles with lateral movements, and he doesn't use his wing span to defect, or challenge shots. If he would spend more effort on defense, then he might actually become a rotational player in this league. Unfortunately he's a black hole on defense, and in today's "space and pace" era, his lack of jump shot also makes him almost useless on offense as well. He would have some decent value if he can demonstrate secondary playmaker ability, but unfortunately he doesn't have the greatest handles on earth either. Honestly I wouldn't even spend a 2nd round pick on him.

Thomas Welsch - Center
Big Board Ranking: 14

Look here, I actually like Welsch's game, as he's a no non sense big man who can finish inside with efficiency, has good motor on defense, and is very active in using his hands to deflect passes. However, is he really a lottery worthy prospect? Offensively speaking he's a one trick pony, as he lacks shot creating ability, and doesn't draw contact particularly well either. Defensively he gives 110% at all times, and will be a menace against other post scorers, but for some that's 7-1, it seems like his lack of vertical has limited his ability to contest shots, or protect the rim.

Also for someone's that's 7-1, he is not a strong rebounder. At times you will see him let the other team's wings/guard out rebound him due to his lack of vertical leap. He also doesn't know how to use his big body to seal out opponents during box out opportunities. Welsch is a good defensive big man who won't make many mistakes, but he's not a game changer that you would expect from a lottery pick, and that's why I feel he's a bit overrated at the official CSL Big Board.

Anyways, I hope everyone has enjoyed this little piece here, and I will come up with a top 5 most underrated prospects next! Let me know in the comments section on how do you feel about these 5 kids, and if you have someone else in mind!
Last edited by hardenwithnod on Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Re: Top 5 Most Overrated Prospects

Post by Dennis »

Without Musa definitely not accurate
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Dennis wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:07 pm Without Musa definitely not accurate
You really hat this guy :lol:

Have to read the article later and compare to my scouts.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Dennis wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:07 pm Without Musa definitely not accurate
Gosh. You really don't like him, now I see. I'll re-do my mock then LUL
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

I've scouted all these guys, some of them twice, and I largely agree with most of what you said.

I do think there's a place in the league for some of these guys though, even if they may not be worth their premium position on the big board right now.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Dylan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:45 pm I've scouted all these guys, some of them twice, and I largely agree with most of what you said.

I do think there's a place in the league for some of these guys though, even if they may not be worth their premium position on the big board right now.
Yeah, some of them should be able to stick around the league, but not at their current projected draft position. Honestly this draft is an interesting one, not a star studded one, but some intriguing talent that might slip under the radar.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Very interesting article for sure. Kyrus and I have both said that the Big Board has done a very poor job of ranking this class and I'm not sure why that is because we don't have access to the Big Board algorithm.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Rizzo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:15 pm Very interesting article for sure. Kyrus and I have both said that the Big Board has done a very poor job of ranking this class and I'm not sure why that is because we don't have access to the Big Board algorithm.
Board weights strength (potential and current) and the times of scouted. So when the league overall is pretty close in talent - like this one - the randomized factor for the ranking of ratings mixes the class up a lot until enough scouts are in.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028