League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Inside the Clippers: New Management Faces Tough Decisions

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Dylan
Senior Vice President

Inside the Clippers: New Management Faces Tough Decisions

Post by Dylan »

Rashad Vaughn is one of the hottest names on the market

When the Clippers hired a new general manager late last week, one thing was for certain; change was inevitable and likely to happen sooner rather than later. Less than a week on the job, Dylan seems to already be planning the route his team will be taking in the future.

Reports say that the Clippers have entered trade talks with numerous teams involving some of their key players from a season ago. Two of the hottest names, James Young and Rashad Vaughn, seem to be at the center of those talks. Both established quality wings in the CSL, it would make sense that a number of CSL teams would be interested in these two. Who the Clippers decide to deal and when, however, is the much more interesting topic.

Young, 27, is the better and more versatile of the two. A quality two-way player who score 18.1 points per game last season despite starting only four games, is also a strong defensive player. The former University of Kentucky guard is entering the last year of his contract at nearly $15 million, and could be in line for a monster payday this offseason.

On the other hand, Vaughn is entering his 5th season in the league and is still just 22-years-old. A great, high volume three point shooter and capable slasher, Vaughn is as good if not better than Young offensively, but doesn't exactly bring the same tenacity defensively. Still, at such a young age, and under contract for four more years at a reasonable price, Vaughn could be a long-term piece on either ra rebuilding or contending squad.

Coming off a poor season in Los Angeles, with very few draft picks at their disposal, the Clippers are in a tough position moving forward. Do they stick with the talented group of players they have now, including these two wings? Or do they try to move pieces one by one in hopes of accruing assets from dealing them away?

While time will tell what the Clippers will do with Vaughn and Young, there has been little doubt on the team's intentions with veterans Greg Monroe and Moe Harkless - departures are inevitable.

Veteran center Greg Monroe is coming off a monster season

The Clippers have made it known in trade talks that Monroe and Harkless are the first two pieces they wish to move. Monroe, the 33-year-old, coming off a monster season, has made it known to management that he prefers to be elsewhere next season. The veteran's intentions are to compete for a championship and it's clear that won't be happening in Los Angeles next season. Monroe is entering the final year of his contract and will make north of $21 million.

Harkless, a 29-year-old forward, has established himself in the CSL as a great defensive wing. He, like Monroe, prefers to be moved to a competitive situation and has two years left with a team option for $11.7 million next season. It's likely that Harkless is the first to be moved, and that could happen as soon as the middle of this week.

Not everyone is up for grabs in Los Angeles, however, as reports say the team has told rival executives that they plan on keeping young guard D'Angelo Russell in town. Russell is on the final year of his rookie contract, and I'm told the Clippers have no problems paying him long-term.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Re: Inside the Clippers: New Management Faces Tough Decisions

Post by Stockton12 »

Interesting to see what changes come ..Young is a amazing player and can pile on the points also a great 6th man ..personally I agree with you if you can move munroe and Harkless

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Most important thing here IMO is getting good value for each player moved, no matter who it is.

Maybe going into the year with this roster allows you to have a better understanding of this team. BI did a solid effort trying to rebuild what was left of the Clippers and I’m sure it’s possible to build a solid squad out of that roster.

Actually I believe this team is solid already, it really lacks a PG with better handles than Russell (who could play PG for some minutes but is more of a natural 2). Other than this, a low usage, good defensive backup C would be solid for the team as well. The rotation would look like this IMO.

PG / Russell
Russell / Vaughn / Delly
Young / Harkless
Monroe / Harkless
Mickey / Monroe / C

That’s 10 players. One of them comes via your MLE (probably the PG). The other might be found as a vet minimum guy possibly, since all you need is a end of the bench piece to play around 10-15 minutes only.

I’d do this and go to the season with this roster, with hopes of finding a solid chemistry and who can contribute and who really should be moved.

And please, Mickey at the 5, Monroe at the 4. Their handling and shotblocking can explain why. You’ll thank me after this little yet important move.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

If you want to be a 9th or 10th seed team, this squad should be good enough. If you want to reach for the stars it's time to get a rebuild started and to accumulate as many assets as possible. Really depends on the goals though.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

You should know this better than anyone: when you get started with a new team, the most common time GMs make mistakes is right away. GMs get impatient and make moves and they don’t end up being good moves. I hope that when you do make trades, they are the right ones for you

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Myles wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:36 pm You should know this better than anyone: when you get started with a new team, the most common time GMs make mistakes is right away. GMs get impatient and make moves and they don’t end up being good moves. I hope that when you do make trades, they are the right ones for you
That's why I said hold until day 30 at least. Try your team first, see who's solid, who's replaceable.. Who you want to stick around for the rebuild...

At the end of the day, it's safe to say a 33yo Monroe or even a 29yo Harkless are no good fits for a rebuilding squad. But they do bring in talent, and that's what the Clippers (or any team without it's pick for 2 straight seasons, just like the Pelicans) need. There will ALWAYS be sellers around day 30, or teams looking to add defensive pieces to a playoff run. Monroe as a 20M+ expiring or Harkless as a very competent defender who plays 2 positions should be solid assets for teams looking to compete and/or clear cap space.
A team looking to add a defensive piece will do a deadline deal sending a first for Harkless, for example. Another one looking to clear contracts or even compete by adding talent will offer something solid for Monroe. It's a matter of being patient, unless it's a home run kind of deal.

I hope you don't rush to any kind of deal here. The team isn't fantastic, I reckon, but you can add a solid rotation player with the MLE this offseason and try them all out before sending them all away. At least you'll maximise your chances of getting full value for all your assets, which you desperately need.
Myles cleared his whole Nuggets squad when he came back and in the middle of this he dumped MKG, now one of the very best defenders in our league, to Phoenix for peanuts.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Dennis wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:09 am If you want to be a 9th or 10th seed team, this squad should be good enough. If you want to reach for the stars it's time to get a rebuild started and to accumulate as many assets as possible. Really depends on the goals though.
Hah don't trust the guy who owns your pick this year as he obviously wants you to rebuild.

As a GM, I personally can't stomach losing and giving another team a solid pick so I would try to win as much as possible until I'm back in control of my own destiny. But to each their own. Good luck either way.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This team is in a tough spot, but at least it has some good trading pieces that can be flipped for youth/future assets. I am sure you will make good moves to bring this team back to relevance.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Great read Dylan! I'd look into keep Vaughn, he's pretty youngish and is an absolutely elite point shooting (volume + efficiency). Monroe is a nice sized expiring and he's still a productive 18/9 guy this season I bet. I tried my best to salvage the roster and add some young pieces in Russell/Young/Mickey/Zubac/etc. I'll be watching closely, goodluck!
Ball is Life.

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Good luck with the team. As Blackice said, Vaughn is a special player. Otherwise I wouldn't have offered a future first for him. There are very few players in this league I would make that offer for. So it's a good decision to keep him around.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

mgtr81 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:04 pm Good luck with the team. As Blackice said, Vaughn is a special player. Otherwise I wouldn't have offered a future first for him. There are very few players in this league I would make that offer for. So it's a good decision to keep him around.
I know he had some solid offers for Vaughn.
But as the league is in more and more need of sharpshooters his value could (or not) jump to an all time high. Keeping him is wise, for now. And maybe for the future as well, he’s young, relatively cheap, controlled..

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

I'd try and get your pick back from Chicago like I did and commit to the rebuild personally. Right now this team seems mired in late lottery/8 seed at best territory.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Actually we own their pick (and kyrus next year I think). This team is pretty much stuck on nowhere land. But blackice was able to get it at least to there. After lillard leaving it was somewhere stuck in the d league
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028