League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

More trade Ideas

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

More trade Ideas

Post by Silogical »

Offseason trade ideas
I really like Marcos trade ideas, the only problem I have is marcos is just one man and we dont get enough. Ill add my perspective a few times per year. What I like most about these articles is they could provoke league activity and reading the comments gives you a good idea of what the league thinks of certain players.

Trade Idea #1 “It’s all about the value”

Post draft trade
Portland Sends Marcas Smart and Nikola Mirotic
Indian Sends Fred VanVleet, Gary Payton II, Dejounte Murray, Briante Webber, IND 2029 1st, SAC 2028 1st, and WAS 2027 1st

A few years back Indiana was loaded with cap space, and they went bat shit crazy signing multiple players to starter level salaries. This put them in the dreaded treadmil position. Too good to land a good draft pick and not good enough to get out of the 1st round. They are putting a lot of faith in Jaxson Hayes and the Washington 1st, this combo could lead to Indiana competing in 4 years or it could just lead to the treadmil continueing beyond 4 years. Marcus Smart is a top 20 player and will immediately make Indiana a contender. I feel landing Smart increases the chances of Indiana winning a ring over the next 10 years compared to keeping the washington 1st. Nikola Mirotic is also a very good SF/PF one tier below Ojeleye and Patton.

Portland looks to be entering a rebuild. The successful rebuilds relied on acquiring as many draft picks as they can hoping one hits. Ben Simmons JJJ Zion and the #1 pick in this draft were all picked with someone elses pick. The unsuccessful rebuilds tried to build a large chunk of their team in Free Agency. Since cap room is so difficult to utilize Portland shouldnt mind holding these long term contracts while they look to acquire stars in the draft.

This is a very high risk high reward trade for both teams. The pick’s range is so wide. There is an above 0 chance the pick turns into the next Ben Simmons, but there is also a very good chance the pick turns into the next Dzanan Musa.

Other options for Indiana. Instead of going all out for Smart Indiana could go after a cheaper option like a CoJo who is roughly a top 50 player. The problem with this option is I dont feel CoJo would be enough to push indiana into contention like Smart will.

Other options for Portland. Portland could just trade Smart for a younger known commodity. This will guarantee they dont land a bust, but it also means they are likely not getting someone with superstar potential. In my opinion unless Portland wants to continue to contend while rebuilding the highest risk/highest reward move is the way to go if Smart is traded.

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Re: More trade Ideas

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

Glad to see these popping up.

Personally we aren't in talks for Smart. We are very okay taking our time and building up the overall value and talent of this roster. We're young, improving, and with lots of space to grow.

I actually don't agree with the treadmill narrative. I fundamentally disagree with the notion that the only way to build a basketball team is to blow up every thing and get 3 or 4 top 5 picks. Not that that's what you mean, but that is a dominant CSL narrative that doesn't work in the NBA and makes for boring Simulation sports.

When I took over Indiana, we declared that we were doing a rebuild in the long run. That didn't mean we were auctioning off the roster. And by keeping pieces such as Semi and Patton while adding depth around them, we aren't on some imaginary treadmill. Every year has been a notable improvement except for this year because we traded away our best player in MPJ at the start of the season. Add back MPJ and I'm sure we would've seen an improvement in W-L from last year.

Lastly: Players like FVV and Payton keep the game interesting while also being traded pieces. Their contracts were slightly high, but that's ok because I have no other PGs. Next season will be their penultimate year making those contracts no longer scary to other teams.
Could I have won 17 games instead of 37 to get a top 5 pick? Sure. Does winning 37 mean we are stuck in purgatory? No. Well-run teams will naturally accrue value through the draft, FA, and trades. And then yea, when the iron is hot, I could see myself striking for a Marcus Smart. Just not yet ;)
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I wouldn't trade Smart and Niko for basically Washington's first, some role players and few late firsts if I were Portland. I believe Smart can land them something better than taking a risk at a first round pick that could be #1 or #10, specially as the Wizards are never tanking without their first rounder. They might be bad, but teams with their own picks might be even worse.

Bring in more trade ideas, that's really helpful! The idea is really to open people's minds when it comes to trading, so any help is appreciated!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

I'm the opposite, I think the Pacers shouldn't trade all that for Smart unless they have other win now moves planned.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

This wouldn’t be enough for me to trade both of them. Not with the offers and conversations going on for Smart alone.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Jestor wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:58 pm This wouldn’t be enough for me to trade both of them. Not with the offers and conversations going on for Smart alone.
3 firsts is quite an offer. Especially two potential lottery picks
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

I like that this type of article is coming from different GMs. Gives us different perspective.

As for the trade, i think Lucas has a very specific plan in mind and this seems to diverge from that plan so I’d be surprised if he went after Smart.

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

TheTwoWallaces wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:22 pm Glad to see these popping up.
For me its all about "which is more likely to lead to a ring in the next 10 years". IMO i feel Smart/Patton/Ojeleye/Hayes/Mirotic is more likely to win a ring in the next 10 years than staying the course. However change that question slightly to "which is more likely to lead to atleast 2 rings in the next 10 years" and the team with the high risk/high reward asset (was 27 1st) would prob be the answer. it's really tough to hit 55 wins in the CSL, and i think if you could land Smart at that price which i bet 2/3rds of the league would say is not enough you take the 55 wins and hope for some luck in the playoffs.

From Portlands POV, if you project to win under 46 games trade smart. If you project to win over 46 games keep smart. IND makes the offer that makes sense for IND(IMO), if POR receives or already has better offers, they go with the better offer. Some teams out there just might be in a position to make a better offer for smart.