League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

BI's Spotlight #16 - wms02a

Write updates about your team or the league here.
blackice
Chairman of the Board

BI's Spotlight #16 - wms02a

Post by blackice »

This will be the sixteenth in a series of articles spotlighting different GM's in the league and picking the brains of the braintrust here in the league. Each one will have customized questions that vary in terms of detail and intention. Some will be directly tied to the GM's team, some will be more directed to the league as a whole - all will relate in some form or fashion to basketball. Each article is worth scouting points for a full Insider article. The sixteenth interview is with wms02a, so let's kick this off.

1. How did you discover the game of basketball? How did you find sim leagues? Finally, how did you discover the CSL?

I grew up in San Antonio, and I can remember since being a little being a Spurs fan. I attended the press conference of David Robinson and Sean Elliott when they were announced and I had the privilege of being the honorary ball boy when David Robinson played Magic Johnson and the Lakers. The best part was I was announced as the ball girl and i fell asleep under the hoop and peed my pants.... I was 4 years old :) I love the Spurs and being an NBA fan in a small market bc the players were truly part of the city and you seem to run into them frequently.

For sim leagues, I believe I found NLL through realgm probably close to a decade ago. Wow time flies. And I will say this over and over again, Jestor owes me a ring for his NLL championship :).... I can't remember how I discovered CSL, but I assume it was through the Wolverine Forum as I had taken a break from Sim Leagues.

2. Why did you choose to take over the Spurs, what was it about the team that intrigued you

They are my home team! I love my Spurs, Patty Mills, Manu, and Coach Pop!

3. Rozier for MVP? Make the case?

Scoring champion while also playing both sides of the court. Was almost the steals champion too. Team turnaround since moving him to PG

4. Tell us a little bit about your CSL philosophy? Take us behind the scenes on how you build a team and what you value in players?

Originally it was about defense and three point shooting, but this year it has changed just because of the nature of my roster. So this year it simply "let Terry be Scary"..... the strategy of relying on Rozier so much is such a bang or bust strategy but its heck of fun!

5. You made a huge deal sending out Frank Ntilikina and parts and bringing in Jabari Parker. Take us behind the scenes on that deal?

At the time with FrankyN at PG and Rozier at SG, our offense was rechid... we needed another scorer and another player who could play multiple as Bertans production had dropped too.

6. What is the goal this season and what would constitute a successful season for you?

Continue to show the league that the Spurs are a top team and continue to show that Scary Terry is truly an elite player

7. Who do you say is your rival in the CSL and which teams in the West do you see as your primary competition?

I'd say Houston just because they are down the highway and they are the most consistent winning team in the Division.

I hope you enjoyed this look into yet another integral player of this league, and if you are interested in being interviewed please express your interest either in this thread or a PM if you prefer. It'll be first come first serve, and I'll gauge interest and go from there.
Ball is Life.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Re: BI's Spotlight #16 - wms02a

Post by emplep7 »

Its funny. I thought of you a different way in the NLL than I do here. I remember trying to pry Festus Ezeli off of you in the NLL for several seasons only to be denied time and time again, but here we have been able to get a few deals done. It looks like the Frank N and Jabari deal is working out well for both teams which is good to see.

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

emplep7 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:20 pm Its funny. I thought of you a different way in the NLL than I do here. I remember trying to pry Festus Ezeli off of you in the NLL for several seasons only to be denied time and time again, but here we have been able to get a few deals done. It looks like the Frank N and Jabari deal is working out well for both teams which is good to see.
hahaha... man i would love to have NLL Ezeli here in the CSL... he might have been the best defensive big ive seen in a sim league.... can we bring back NLL players :) please
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

loved that deal bring in parker . the spurs along with the hawks are my wild cards

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Rozier definitely deserves mvp. Without him, you guys are a top 5 lottery team.

Most valuable player
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Nice story how you got introduced to the San Antonio basketball scene :-)
Didn't have the chance to see basketball as I was younger but imagine that was a great experience.

This year I wanna see how far can Rozier bring the Spurs. He is for sure the most polarizing player.
I'm not a fan of iso ball, but over time Kobe convinced me that it can work in certain situations.