League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Washington Wizards Season Review

Write updates about your team or the league here.
hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Washington Wizards Season Review

Post by hardenwithnod »

Hezonja continues to improve his offensive game under Coach Brian Cardinal.

As another season comes to an end for the Washington Wizards, the team has once again missed the playoffs by a few games. While on paper this might seem like a disappointing season, the reality is that no one has expected this team to compete this well for this season. Most experts predicted the Wizards would finish near the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings. However, this team battled hard throughout the year, and GM Chan was extremely proud of this team's effort despite coming up short for the 8th seed in an extremely competitive Eastern Conference.

The Positives:

- Mario Hezonja continues to settle in on this team, and has been a dynamic offensive option for this team. He has accepted his role as the 6th man this year, and was very impressive in that role. Hezonja is expected to given a bigger role on the team next season.

- The team was very good at forcing turnovers, and playing the passing lane. This team worked very hard, and often created a lot of chaos with their aggressive brand of defense. Hopefully with another year under the belt, these guys can ramp up that defense even more.

- Ike Anigbogu continues to prove he belongs in this league, as he had another very efficient season as a part time starter. While he's going to be entering into restricted free agency, sources close to the team expect the Wizards to commit into a long term deal to resign this young big man.

The Negatives:

- The offense was way too inconsistent throughout the year, and even after the addition of veteran scorers such as Damian Lillard, Russell Westbrook, and Kevin Durant, the team still had trouble putting up points at times.

- Inconsistency from the younger guys were also quite frustrating for the coaching staff, as guys like Aaron Holiday, Devon Reed, Dillon Brooks, Ben Moore, and JeQuan Lewis have shown flashes at times, but were all too inconsistent to be handling a big role right now. Perhaps with this season under the belt, these young players will improve in the off-season, and become more comfortable with this team's system.

- While this team has lots of talent, however the lack of a true franchise player is definitely putting the team in a tough spot right now. The dreaded "treadmill" team situation could be happening here. Expect the Wizards front office to be working hard on the phones, and perhaps try to change the roster a bit in order to find themselves a future franchise piece.

This off-season will be huge for GM Chan, and the Washington Wizards. They currently owns the 11th overall pick in the CSL rookie draft, and sources close to the team has said that GM Chan wants to acquire more draft picks in this draft, as he has quite a few targets that he feels can help mold the future core of this team. Free agency will also be quite an interesting situation for this team. Time will tell if this Wizards team can take that next step.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: Washington Wizards Season Review

Post by Flaming Homer »

I think this team overachieved a bit during the first half of the season, but then underachieved after the trades for the vets.
I really thought that would be enough to separate the Wizzards from the rest of the teams fighting for #8. Especially how good they played since then.

Good thing is you didn't trade much of assets away with it and have still enough young talent around. I hope the trade market will finally wake up again, I know how you crave to send player back and forth :-D

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

I think the trade for KD, for both the Pelicans and the Wizards, showed that this engine doesn't rely on just large amounts of talents to win games. KD was incredibly efficient for both teams, but lost us more games than he won.

I think that Hezonja can be your top scorer, but you'd be looking at a team sorta similar to the NBA's 2014 Atlanta Hawks. You guys are missing a strong enough lead guard to make that happen, but I could honestly see that happen. If you could find a way to get someone like GDP, I think you guys are golden to make a strong playoff push.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

I was surprised the Wizards faltered so much down the stretch. Sorry Dame didn't work out for you!
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Ramcus wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:55 am I think the trade for KD, for both the Pelicans and the Wizards, showed that this engine doesn't rely on just large amounts of talents to win games. KD was incredibly efficient for both teams, but lost us more games than he won.
It really looks like chemistry somehow got a lot more important than just pure talent.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

I like the medley of talent here, you just need to find the right fit but guys like Hezonja/Anigbogu are terrific building blocks and I expect to be some roster turnover and some upgrades but I like the core of this team.
Ball is Life.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

It's a shame you guys couldn't make the playoffs in the brutally tough East. I admired that you went for it and acquired vets like Durant and Lillard. Both worthwhile gambles imo.

I'm curious to see what you do with the 11th pick and if you accomplish your goal of acquiring more picks. There's definitely a drop-off after the first wave of talent, but it's a pretty deep pool from the looks of it. Just depends on what kind of player(s) you're looking to add.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Yeah, those additions proved that adding talent isn't always the answer in this new engine. Now we will likely blow it up, and build it from the ground, as I am getting pretty bored of this team lol.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis