League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Wizards Season Review

Write updates about your team or the league here.
hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Wizards Season Review

Post by hardenwithnod »

Is Mario Hezonja the answer for the Wizards' future?

As the CSL regular season has come to an epic end, the Washington Wizards finished the year with a 39-43 record, which snaps the Wizards 3 years playoff streak under GM Gary Chan's watch. While record wise it was not a happy ending, the management team is still feeling pretty optimistic about its future out look, as GM Chan has viewed this year as more of a retooling year that will slowly set up this team for the new rule changes in the CSL. The team still has some very good talented players on paper, and with time this team should be back in the playoffs race in no time.

The Positives:

1. The emergence of Ike Anigbogu has been a very nice surprise for the team this year, as the 3rd year pro out of UCLA played 78 games this season including 59 starts, and in 29 minutes per game he finished with a final stat line of 14.7 ppg, 8.3 rpg on 53% shooting from the field. Previously Anigbogu was spending most of the time shifting back and forth betweem the Wizards bench, and the Wizards' D-League affiliate. After taking some time to work on his game, Anigbogu has emerged as a crucial rotation piece for the Wizards big men rotation.

2. Ivan Rabb's comeback season was an absolute success, as the 3rd year big man out of University of California came back from a devastating ACL injury from last season, and played 62 games for the Wizards this season. Rabb ended the season with a career high of 14 ppg, 8 rpg on 55% shooting in about 24 minutes per game. Rabb has shown flashes last season before going down with an injury, and he came back with a vengeance this season. The coaching staff is expecting Rabb will fill in an important role for the team next season.

3. Mario Henzonja's explosiveness was on full display since he was given the keys to the offense as a midseason acquisition for the Wizards this season. A major piece in the huge blockbuster that sent long time fan favorite Milos Teodosic to Chicago, Hezonja finished the season averaging 19.9 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 3.8 apg on 46% shooting from the field, and 37% from beyond the arc as well. The coaching staff was encouraged by Hezonja's ability to create his own shot as the number one option for this team, and they are expecting big things from him next season.

The negatives:

1. Willie Cauley Stein's inconsistency on the defensive end of the floor was surprising last season, as WCS has always been known as a all league kind of a defender that can patrol the paint, and make a huge impact on that end. WCS has never been known as an offensive player, so his bread, and butter was always on the defensive end of the court. However, WCS seems to not be able to settle in comfortably, and was not able to make as big of a defensive impact as the coaching staff would have liked. Now entering the free agency, it will be interesting to see if the team will bring him back.

2. Inconsistency from the bench was another problem for the team this season, as none of the bench guys was really able to establish themselves as a true 6th man for the team. Sure, Ivan Rabb, and Ike Anigbogu have both came off the bench at times this season, but both were considered starters at this point. Young guys like Travis Trice, Harry Giles, Jequan Lewis, Michael Gbiinije along with veterans such as Bobon Marjanovich were not able to play in sync as a unit, thus it has led to numerous blown leads this season. Expect the management team to continue to shuffle to deck in order to improve this second unit.

3. It seems like the lack of consistency has been a huge plague for the team this season, as it was especially evident on the defensive end of the court. In the past few seasons, the Wizards were able to do a solid job on defense, and had numerous occasions where they were able to shut down the other team's offense. However, this was not the case here, as the Wizards team defense was mediocre at best this season. THe team was not able to generate too much turnovers, and has forced the coaching staff resort to a zone scheme quite a few times this season, which is something Coach Brian Cardinal did not like to do. Fans can expect GM Chan to be quite busy this offseason, as lots of moves will be made to address the mediocre defense.

Offseason Plans:

The Wizards front office is expected to be quite busy this off-season, and there are tons of potential trade rumors surrounding veterans such as Bryce Cotton, Roy Devyn Marble, and Willie Cauley Stein. If the Wizards does decide to continue with a more youthful approach, then it's almost certain that these veterans will be available on the trade market. Cotton was number two in assists in the entire CSL this season, and will certainly be a hot commodity among contending teams. Meanwhile RDM is an experienced 3 and D guy that can get hot at any moment, and we all know 3 and D guys are all the rage in CSL these days. WCS is a former all defense team caliber big man that won't take shots away, and play stellar defense under a good sufficient system. We know good defenders that are always in high demand among the trade market in general. It will be interesting to see what kind of approach will the Wizards front office take for this offseason.
Last edited by hardenwithnod on Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Re: Wizards Season Review

Post by hardenwithnod »

Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

I agree that the time has come for a rebuild, which looks to be already under way.

Cotton should be a good trade asset. Though I’m not sure those big men perform as well without his distributing abilities.

Hope you find the right deals man
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

I always feel a 'star' player is kind of needed, and the Wizards are lacking that right now. We'll see how Hezonja transfers over to DDS19
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Any time you trade your best player (Milos), there’s going to be a substantial step back taken by the franchise. I experienced the same thing when I traded Bledsoe and MKG to OKC a few seasons back. You got some nice pieces with Trice, Allen and Giles, but the trade is going to rest on Hezonja. Because while Trice, Allen and Giles are all solid role players, the trade is going to be a bust if you trade a star in his prime like Milos and don’t get a star in return. Hezonja is one of the more polarizing figures in this league. Some love him, while others don’t think he’s anything special. 20ppg on that kind of shooting looks pretty good to me though. I’m very curious to see how he looks in the new engine. Rabb as well. He could be a sneaky good player.

I know your playoff streak was snapped this year, but 39-43 is nothing to sneeze at, given how strong the East was this year. And you should only get stronger as guys develop and Allen returns from injury. I’m a fan of rebuilding on the fly as opposed to a complete teardown and rebuild when possible (although sometimes it is necessary), and I like what you’ve done thus far. Outside of trading Milos to Chicago that is… not liking that at the moment.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

I think you gave up a top3 offensive PG - maybe the best - for an average wing in Hezonja. Looking at Hez, his ceiling looks like being a Bradley Beal light. He's just not an as good shooter as Bradley is. Given we dont know much about DDS19 it still can work out though. In 3 I never would have traded a star PG that cheaply as PG is just the most important position in this engine. Also, I have noticed that jumpers appear to be way more important in the new engine. Afaik is Hez a fairly bad midrange shooter, dont remember his numbers for FG2% in the midrange by heart, but he last time I checked them out it was below 35%.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Hez as the main piece for Milo.

You must have been bored. I got Pelicans first for old Klay.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Hez has proven to be a volume scorer who is inefficient, which is likely why he has been moved around so much. There isn't much of an identity for this team right now with Milos off to potentially get a ring so you need to get creative or hope that the engine switch works in your favor for some of your players.

Tough road ahead based on some of the moves you've made, but there are worse situations around the league and you'll need to be calculated moving forward.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Pretty much summed up.
A lot will hinge on how Hezonja shows up in 19.
But I also liked the acquisition of Allen, I hope he can play up to his ratings and be another valuable part coming back in the Milos trade.