League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Playoff Predictions: First Round (Western Conference)

Write updates about your team or the league here.
emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Playoff Predictions: First Round (Western Conference)

Post by emplep7 »

I've been busy adjusting to life with baby number 3, but I'm ready to hit the ground running again. With the first round set to begin today, I'm going to give my brief summary of how I feel this is going to shape up.

Matchups

(1) Phoenix Suns vs (8) New Orleans Pelicans

How Phoenix Can Win: Not choke. Seriously though, they have all the talent in the world and were tied with the best record in the league this year so they just need to stick to their game and they should make it to the second round. If they get bounced again in the first round, Doug might blow this team up.

How New Orleans Can Win: They have talent and won't be an easy team to beat, but drawing the Suns first is no picnic. They will need GM Ramcus to make adjustments for every game to exploit matchups, but Lauri has been a great player for this this season. Add in the fact that Paul George is a proven winner, Dame is a solid offensive player, and Klay is a zone breaker and this could potentially make it an interesting matchup.

Predicted Outcome: Phoenix wins 4-1

(2) San Antonio vs (7) Sacramento

How San Antonio Can Win: This is the first time the Kings have been an underdog this early and the Spurs have been red hot all year. They have a ton of talent, but not having Davis Bertans at full strength for this series could prove to be costly. Other than that, they have the depth and have more top end talent than the Kings (which I never thought I'd say). They need to stick to what has worked for them all season and not try to outsmart themselves.

How Sacramento Can Win: Its very unlike the Kings, but with no Davis Bertans I would force the Spurs to beat me from beyond the arc. The Kings are not a typical 7 seed either, they are the reigning champs and still have most of the same roster intact from that team. Their road record has been pretty miserable, but if they can put it together on the road and use the playoff experience that their players have, that could be dangerous for the entire Western Conference. bt has been here before and it should show in the playoffs.

Predicted Outcome: Sacramento wins 4-3

(3) Houston Rockets vs (6) Denver Nuggets

How Houston Can Win: Kyrus has assembled a very talented team and they are as well rounded as any team in the league. They are a 3 seed, but don't let that fool you into thinking every other team in the league isn't scared to matchup against them. They got their defensive stud in Justice Winslow and with a fully healthy team, they just need to stay healthy and should prove to be a force this post-season.

How Denver Can Win: 3-0. That's the number that sticks out the most this season. Its the record that Denver has against Houston this year and although two of those wins came at home, it still is significant. Denver is a team that is slept on by most of the league but that is a very complete roster, which is super talented. If Tatum has a Jabari-effect and takes over games, this could be one of the best storylines of the season.

Predicted Outcome: Houston wins 4-3

(4) Portland Trailblazers vs (5) Memphis Grizzlies

How Portland Can Win: Portland was my pick for the championship last year and they let me down, but I still have some belief in this team. They are still talented and have pretty much the same roster as last year and they have the playoff experience in their players and GM/coach which should lend a hand to getting into the second round. Its going to be a battle, but this will come down to which coach adjusts the most during the series.

How Memphis Can Win: GM Cesar has been using the underdog mentality throughout the season for himself and his players and he has this team performing at a high level. Most people don't think this team is legit, but I like what they have done this season and think they could be a sleeper team this first round. Cesar has proven to know what he is doing in regards to tactics and if Lavine and Middleton are on, they can sneak their way into the next round.

Predicted Outcome: Memphis wins 4-3

There you go. Have at it, but I think this is going to be one of the most interesting first rounds in recent CSL history.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Re: Playoff Predictions: First Round (Western Conference)

Post by KW »

Yup Denver scared the hell out of me early in the year. When Denver started 3-13 or whatever, 2 of those wins were against us. Both teams look different now though, I didn't have Chriss in the first two meetings, and I didn't have Winslow or Butler in any of them. I don't believe they had Guler in any of them.

I believe my team is better suited to defend the Nuggets, particularly Tatum, than it was early in the year, but I'm still quite sure Denver will take multiple games off of us.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: Playoff Predictions: First Round (Western Conference)

Post by Flaming Homer »

The DEN-HOU match up is really entertaining. Both teams with so much talent.

I still think the trade for Winslow/Butler now makes sense (for both teams). It's this and next season where Kemba and Harden will have enough in the tank to play for a title. Porter looks like a great offensive talent and in the future it will maybe sting. But if you are in a position to win it all, I would try it now and don't wait for later.

Otherwise I would still give Portland the better chance to advance. Memphis has a nice team and are playing on a high level, but Portland is a very experienced playoff team. A 7 game series would be no surprise.