League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Pacers Review: 4 Rookies

Write updates about your team or the league here.
TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Pacers Review: 4 Rookies

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

The season is ending for the 14 unlucky ones. In Indiana, that means the end of a very transitional season. In the spirit of looking forward, we're going to take a look at the 4 rookies currently logging minutes for the Pacers: Michael Porter Jr, Elie Okobo, Collin Sexton, and Chimezie Metu. In this analysis, we're going to look at how each player got to Indiana, how they've played in Indiana, & their futures in the organization.

Michael Porter Jr.

[TRADE] On the 2023 trade deadline, Indiana sent leading scorer Justise Winslow, veteran Jimmy Butler, and rookie Josh Okogie to Houston in exchange for defensive stopper Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, youngster Rodney Purvis, and the 6th pick of the 2023 draft, Michael Porter Jr..
The impetus for the trade was uncertainty around Justise Winslow. Although Winslow is a top 5 defender in the CSL, his skillset and eagerness to score created too many challenges for our coaching staff. As the deadline approached, it became increasingly difficult to justify Winslow's disastrous offensive output (Career: 41% FG, 25% 3PT). With the win column looking bare, the franchise decided that Winslow could create more value on the trade market than on the court.

Within hours of putting Winslow on the block, we received interest from several organizations. None were as eager as Houston, who maybe felt snubbed by the drafting of Kaiser Gates one pick before Houston settled for Michael Porter Jr.
Also included in the deal was veteran Jimmy Butler. Because Butler is on an expiring contract and is in his mid-30s, the franchise found him expendable and a nice little add-on to the deal.
Lastly, our lack of scouting capability in the 2022 season led us to preemptively draft Josh Okogie. Unhappy with his potential ability to contribute, we were willing to part with Okogie if it got us the right piece.
Although RHJ & Rodney Purvis are OK players, the point of this deal was and is Michael Porter Jr. We were always interested in Porter, however felt that asset accumulation was a higher priority for a franchise that, at the time, was building around Justise Winslow. Once we decided to throw in the towel on Winslow, we needed a new centerpiece for the rebuild. Instead of regret over not drafting Porter, we happily brought him in. So, let's look at his rookie year.

MPG | PPG | RPG | APG | BPG | SPG
24.2 | 12.1 | 4.9 | 0.7 | 0.7 | 0.5

FG | 3PT | FT
49 | 36 | 82

Porter has already begun to showcase his offensive potential. In his Pacers debut, he scored 24 pts on 11/18 shooting. In his season high, he scored 30 pts on 14/24 shooting. We've also been happy to see Porter show progress on the boards, grabbing a season high 17 rbs against Minnesota in March. His 2-pt scoring efficiency is where we expect it to be, and we look forward to seeing him progress in that department. The real challenge will be increasing his 3-pt %. If MPJ can become a knockdown weapon from deep, the CSL is going to have a problem on their hands. Porter is going to be a contender for rookie of the year, and it probably won't be his last award consideration.

Next season, expect to see Porter play an increased role for the Pacers. After receiving a +10 scoring boost, we'll be expecting Porter to continue to develop his offense, and we expect him to become a more talked about figure across the CSL.
Elie Okobo

[DRAFT] With the 13th pick in the 2023 draft, the Indiana Pacers selected French Point Guard Elie Okobo. He was drafted for his scoring ability & floor spacing.

So far, Okobo has shown glimpes of his potential. Despite a slow start to the season, Okobo has picked up pace in recent weeks to close out the season strong. This has been especially true for his floor spacing ability. he shot 23/41 (56%) from 3 in the last 15 games. Right now, he's being given 6th man minutes, in the hopes that he serves as a hot spark off the bench.

20.4 | 9.9 | 1.6 | 2.8 | 0 | 0.3

FG | 3PT | FT
43 | 41 | 71

Okobo's future in Indiana will depend on his transition to the new engine. He has the potential to serve as a deadly #2 scoring option, and right now we see no reason why this can't become the case. His limitations on the defensive end are noteworthy, however his efficient and eager scoring prowess are enough to excite the franchise going forward. Despite little coaching, he's already shooting north of 40% from 3 & is not afraid to let it fly.
Okobo's role in Indiana will also depend on his ability to pair with Michael Porter. If Okobo's inability to pass starts denying Porter open scoring opportunities, the Pacers may be forced to decide which player is better suited in a different jersey.
Collin Sexton

[TRADE] Sexton was acquired in the trade that sent back LAC's 2024 1st in exchange for Collin Sexton, Chimezie Metu, Rawle Alkins, and Enes Kanter.
Sexton was viewed as a valuable piece in this deal. We were attracted to his all-around PG ability, especially on the offensive end. Sexton's balanced PAS/HDL ratings & his solid shooting ability gave us hope that he could provide in the form of a traditional PG. Solid defensive ratings also showed that Sexton can do something that Okobo can not -- play both sides of the ball. The need for a true PG was especially pertinent after the 2022 campaign, which saw us start Brandon Jennings at PG with Ognjen Jaramaz backing him up. Yea, it was that bad. So far, Sexton has proven his worth.

27.2 | 9.7 | 2.7 | 4.2 | 0.3 | 0.7

FG | 3PT | FT
42 | 39 | 88

Going forward, Sexton's role in Indiana will remain important. Though he is not going to be a franchise-defining PG, Sexton is likely to be a solid complimentary piece to Porter Jr.'s offensive tenacity.

Unfortunately for Sexton, he has competition for PG minutes with fellow rookie Elie Okobo. Right now, the Pacers have been splitting minutes between them. This will likely remain the case going forward. Sexton's disadvantage v. Okobo is his lower ceiling. His advantage is his potential to better compliment Porter. We'll remain patient with both PGs, however it is hard to imagine one of them not being traded at some point in the coming seasons.
Chimezie Metu

[TRADE]Metu was acquired in the same trade that brought Sexton to Indiana. Metu's inclusion in the deal was based on his defensive potential around the rim. However, after a +10 SCR +5 REB boost, Metu's role could grow to include both ends of the floor.

Metu has not seen much floor time this season. In Indiana, this was largely the result of being buried behind Kevin Love and Jo Lual-Acuil, two big men who battle hard on the boards. In his limited action, Metu has not yet made a significant impact on the game around him.

10.5 | 2.0 | 2.5 | 0.5 | 0.7 | 0.1

FG | 3PT | FT
44 | 0 | 67

Regardless of his weak rookie campaign, we remain optimistic that Metu can develop into a very serviceable big man. His DEF/BLK ratings are good, and he doesn't take touches away from anyone on offense. Therefore, Metu will likely remain as a project to develop alongside frontcourt pieces Michael Porter and Semi Ojeleye.
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Re: Pacers Review: 4 Rookies

Post by hardenwithnod »

Both Porter, and Metu getting those boosts are huge, especially MPJ with his already high SCR potential. This kid is going to be a franchise caliber offensive threat as long as he can stay healthy. Sexton, and Okobo should be solid contributors once developing as well.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Indeed an interesting development in Indiana after giving up on Winslow.
Porter looks like a offensive cornerstone. I like the pairing with Sexton a lot and think Okobo would be the 6th man in this constellation. But the upcoming draft may change some things again.
But it looks like a good start.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

I should never have traded Porter. Knew from the start that was a dumb idea.

But you got a franchise player there, just need to figure out which pieces fit.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Want honesty?

You ruined the Pacers when you first came.

But now.. I think you already know that, and do have a potential superstar on your hands. Don't like the Clippers trade.

My opinion: stay patient even when you get super bored with the process, instead of doing something you might regret.

Good Luck
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

Andrewu91 wrote: ↑Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:44 pm Want honesty?

πŸ˜‚ You try a starting 5 of Jennings/Oladipo/DeRozan/Winslow/Love with no bench & then tell me that I ruined things. Not all my trades have been slam dunks but hey man this team was garbage when I got here, at least give me that
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

TheTwoWallaces wrote: ↑Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:54 pm

πŸ˜‚ You try a starting 5 of Jennings/Oladipo/DeRozan/Winslow/Love with no bench & then tell me that I ruined things. Not all my trades have been slam dunks but hey man this team was garbage when I got here, at least give me that
Oh, it wasn't you? I remember a gm who traded DePaula, Kat, and Green. That dude ruined the team.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Andrewu91 wrote: ↑Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:04 pm

Oh, it wasn't you? I remember a gm who traded DePaula, Kat, and Green. That dude ruined the team.
No dude, that was like 7 Pacers GMs ago.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

KW wrote: ↑Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:32 pm
Andrewu91 wrote: ↑Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:04 pm

No dude, that was like 7 Pacers GMs ago.
Where have I been