League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

2023 CSL Playoffs: 8 First Round Matchups to Watch

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

2023 CSL Playoffs: 8 First Round Matchups to Watch

Post by Myles »

First Round Preview: Intriguing Matchups
Paul George and Russell Westbrook might be the most fun matchup of this first round

1. Miami vs. 8. Washington (Miami won season series 3-1)
PJ Dozier vs. Milos Teodosic

Miami is a very tough, deep team, and Washington is going to need a big series from Teodosic in order to have a puncher's chance in this series. He'll most likely be guarded by PJ Dozier, as Teodosic seems to thrive at SG and that's where Miami tends to put Dozier. Of course, Miami is a very versatile team capable of throwing out an endless array of lineups, and Washington has moved Milos between the guard spots endlessly, so there's a good chance these two never even matchup, or if they do, not even at SG. Either way, Milos will need to break out and show everyone that he's capable of being the #1 option that can lead Washington to a playoff series victory.

2. Boston vs. 7. Cleveland (Season series tied 2-2)
DeAaron Fox vs. Elfrid Payton

Cleveland's midseason acquisition will play a large role in their attempt to upset the Celtics in the first round. The Celtics don't necessarily rely on Fox, but he's their best player and taking him out of games can definitely help sputter the Boston offense. Payton is perhaps the best point guard defender in the league, and his ability to force turnovers will come in handy against a Celtics PG that has done a great job of not turning the ball over. Shutting down Fox won't guarantee Cleveland victory, but it will be a great first step.

3. Detroit vs. 6. Chicago (Chicago won season series 3-1)
Jamal Murray vs. Damian Lillard

Without Lauri Markkanen, the Bulls are going to have to find offense elsewhere on the court, and where better than asking their star guard to step up his production? Lillard will be facing off against Detroit's own electric scoring guard in Jamal Murray, and it will be interesting to see which of the two players will outshine the other. Murray has a lot of similarities to Lillard in his game, both are score-first guards with the capability of playing PG and with lackluster defense. Will Lillard show the young whippersnapper how it's done, or is Murray going to run circles around his older counterpart?

4. Atlanta vs. 5. Toronto (Season series tied 2-2)
Atlanta's offense vs. Toronto's defense

The Hawks had the fifth-highest scoring offense, and the Raptors allowed the second-fewest points per game. Atlanta was 3rd and 7th in FG% and 3PT%, respectively, and Toronto had the 7th-lowest FG% allowed and 4th-lowest 3PT% allowed. You can see where I'm going with this, the Hawks had an incredible offense and the Raptors were just as good defensively. Atlanta had 6 different players averaging more than 10 points per game, led by one of the most efficient wing scorers in the league in Dante Exum, who was 6th in TS% among players who had at least a 25% usage rate (behind Anthony Davis, Malik Monk, Skal Labissiere, Kevin Durant, and Lauri Markkanen). Toronto sports an entire roster of great defenders, both inside and out, and they'll be working hard to slow down this Atlanta offense that has been on fire lately.

1. Oklahoma City vs. 8. Golden State (Oklahoma City won season series 3-1)
Jordan McRae and DeMarre Carroll vs. James Harden and Kevin Durant

If Golden State is going to win this series against the defending champions, it's going to be because their two stars reach supernova. Durant has had some incredible playoff runs, but has lost many of them to injury, and we all remember James Harden single-handedly winning Houston a championship. Both of these players have faded into the background due to Golden State's lack of success, but they could put themselves back in the spotlight if they can have a massive series here. Luckily for OKC, they have two of the best wing defenders in the league in McRae and Carroll, both of whom sport STOP% north of 93%. These two will have their hands full this series, but if they can make Harden and Durant mortal, they can stop Golden State in their tracks.

2. Phoenix vs. 7. Denver (Phoenix won season series 3-1)
Zach Collins vs. Andre Drummond

Both the Suns and the Nuggets have high-powered offenses beginning with penetration and getting shots at the rim, which will put a lot of pressure on these defensive big men to do their job down low and lock up. The Suns obviously have two of the best interior scorers in their Isaiah twins, and while the Nuggets don't have anyone quite at that caliber offensively, they do have a handful of good interior scorers. Denver has an uphill battle to try and make this a competitive series, but protecting the rim without fouling is a good place to start, and the same goes for Phoenix.

3. Sacramento vs. 6. Dallas (Sacramento won season series 3-1)
Russell Westbrook vs. Paul George

This was a tough matchup to pick, as Sacramento is an incredibly deep team that can change their lineups on a whim, or win games with unlikely heroes, and thus isn't going to rely on winning any single matchup. However, this one is particularly interesting as Westbrook just came back from his devastating injury at the beginning of April, and has played 10 games this season getting ready for the postseason. He's likely to play SG, and will match up against one of the best two-way players in the game. Will Westbrook be able to attack the basket as well as he usually does? Will George be able to get his shots with Westbrook hounding him? This matchup may not swing the series, but damn if it won't be fun to watch.

4. Houston vs. 5. Portland (Portland won season series 3-1)
Malik Monk vs. the record for 3s in a playoff series

Admittedly, I don't know what this exact number is. But if anyone has a chance at setting this record, it would be Malik Monk, who will be completely unleashed since everyone on Houston's roster is injured for this series. Marcus Smart will probably be tasked with slowing Monk down, but Portland may also elect to have him save his energy for the offensive side of the ball. It's unfortunate that Houston is coming into the playoffs with two of their best players hurt, but that's how it goes sometimes. Good luck Malik!

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Re: 2023 CSL Playoffs: 8 First Round Matchups to Watch

Post by rh0xxy »

great matches! looking forward for these...
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

we probably won't play enough games for Monk to break that record, unfortunately. I think this is at best a 5 game series. Aside from that, this is going to be a great 1st round. So many good matchups

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Yeah, some really good matchups.

The Fox/Payton one will be really interesting to see if Payton can shut him down. I would have confidence there for sure.

Got a feeling MKG could get a call up to guard a Durant/Harden as that's a big ask for guys like McRae and Carroll.

Drummond could monster Collins yeah. Not sure what strats the Nuggets play but maybe single post could get a look in here because as well as Collins has gone stats wise, he's no match for Drummond.

and yeah, the George/Westbrook matchup should be great. We haven't let Westbrook off the chain just yet but his 16.8 points in only 22.2 minutes at 50.5% from the field shows he's going to be an offensive force once he gets the minutes. Has 1.7 steals in that time too but George is all that also. Will be an offensive force and is a better defender so this will be a very entertaining matchup.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

Some really good matchups this year.

Atlanta is really hot right now and in a relatively open East, maybe they could make a run. ATL/TOR is gonna be an awesome series.

OKC seems like they're in a great position to head back to the finals.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

I think golden state are dangerous and could bring on an upset .

Miami will be too strong for Washington

I’ll be hoping for an Atlanta win

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Lots of great series on a wide-open playoffs once again!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

My bets:
Miami 4:0 Washington
Detroit 4:3 Chicago
Atlanta 4:2 Toronto

Okc 4:1 GS
Phx 4:1 Denver
Sac 4:2 Dallas
Portland 4:0 houston
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

That should be a close series vs BI's Raptors! All our matches were pretty competitive.
And I will find out if the strong finish of the season is legit or just the result of a easy schedule.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Miami IMO is probably my worst matchup, so I won't be surprised if we get swept lol. But there are some very good matchups for sure, and I think the East is pretty much wide open at this point.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Miami in 5
Boston in 6
Detroit in 6
Atlanta in 7

OKC in 6
Phoenix in 5
Sacramento in 6
Portland in 5 :(

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Miami in 5
Boston in 6
Pistons in 6
Toronto in 7

OKC in 7
Suns in 6
Kings in 5
Portland in 5
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Flaming Homer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:24 am That should be a close series vs BI's Raptors! All our matches were pretty competitive.
And I will find out if the strong finish of the season is legit or just the result of a easy schedule.
Yeah man goodluck!
Ball is Life.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

blackice wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:19 pm
Flaming Homer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:24 am That should be a close series vs BI's Raptors! All our matches were pretty competitive.
Yeah man goodluck!
Same to you!!

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Some really good matchups in the 1st Rd, I can see a couple of series not going as expected. PHX DEN and MIA WAS series for example.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

AC
General Manager

Post by AC »

ATL/TOR and OKC/GS should both be interesting and fun series! Any possibility GS could upset OKC in the first round? I joined the league late so I didn't get to follow along with both teams over the course of the season :oops:
'22 - '23 Philadelphia 76ers
PG: Lonzo Ball / Ray McCallum
SG: Jabari Brown / E’Twaun Moore / Josh Richardson
SF: Jabari Parker / Kevin Hervey / Jerami Grant
PF: Adreian Payne / Moritz Wagner
C: Damian Jones / Daniel Miller

10th overall pick (2023 CSL Draft)

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

AC wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:55 pm ATL/TOR and OKC/GS should both be interesting and fun series! Any possibility GS could upset OKC in the first round? I joined the league late so I didn't get to follow along with both teams over the course of the season :oops:
Definitely a possibility. Depends on how active their GM is. They have had our number in the past..
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson