League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Luka Doncic

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Luka Doncic

Post by Jestor »

http://dallassportsfanatic.com/luka-don ... ign=buffer

Combination shameless self plug/hyping a guy for a future CSL class. Manu, I'd loved to have gotten your take on him, but didn't think of it until too late.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Re: Luka Doncic

Post by hardenwithnod »

Dude has size, IQ, ridiculous vision, and a beautiful stroke. Now he needs to learn to play under control, and make better reads on the pick, and rolls. If he can slow down, and learn to read, and react better, then this dude is a matchup nightmare on offense. Defensively he will be solid, just need to learn to play smart team defense, and use his size to challenge shooters.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

I think he'll be a solid ball thief, but I don't see him ever being more than a league average defender outside of steals because of his athleticism limitations

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Jestor wrote:I think he'll be a solid ball thief, but I don't see him ever being more than a league average defender outside of steals because of his athleticism limitations
True, he's definitely not that athletic.

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

He looks like he's got all the offensive skills you could ask for but I wonder if his lack of elite athleticism will allow him to score at the rim in the NBA.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Yeah, he reminds me a lot of D'Angelo Russell actually when Russell was at Ohio State... he looked great there as a scorer and playmaker, but his lack of athleticism prevented him from having the type of gravity offensively that would allow him to be a difference maker.

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Post by Chilikonkarne »

This kid is incredible - not taking him #1 next draft would be a mistake.
He is playing pro since he is 15 and not for some 2nd division team but for freaking Real (easily top 3 team in Europe)
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Chilikonkarne wrote:This kid is incredible - not taking him #1 next draft would be a mistake.
He is playing pro since he is 15 and not for some 2nd division team but for freaking Real (easily top 3 team in Europe)
Never seen him play but Michael Porter Jr. looks amazing as well...
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

8time
Senior Vice President

Post by 8time »

Myles wrote:Yeah, he reminds me a lot of D'Angelo Russell actually when Russell was at Ohio State... he looked great there as a scorer and playmaker, but his lack of athleticism prevented him from having the type of gravity offensively that would allow him to be a difference maker.
Speaking of Russell, makes me sad he didn't have a serious mentality because if he did he would still be a Laker. Has high IQ, great talent, but disrespectful and has motivation issues.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Marcos_Beck wrote:
Chilikonkarne wrote:This kid is incredible - not taking him #1 next draft would be a mistake.
Never seen him play but Michael Porter Jr. looks amazing as well...
I know it's just Drew League, but Porter was wrecking college stars, and NBA pros out there this summer lol.

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

And now Porter's brother just reclassified and will be joining him at Missouri this season. Mizzou is going to be a one-year wonder in basketball this year then will be back to trash after they all leave.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Rizzo wrote:And now Porter's brother just reclassified and will be joining him at Missouri this season. Mizzou is going to be a one-year wonder in basketball this year then will be back to trash after they all leave.
MY A&M squad is loaded this year, but then again I don't think Coach Kennedy is a good in game coach, so we shall see what happens in the SEC this year.

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Jestor wrote:http://dallassportsfanatic.com/luka-don ... ign=buffer

Combination shameless self plug/hyping a guy for a future CSL class. Manu, I'd loved to have gotten your take on him, but didn't think of it until too late.
I think he is better fit for European basketball, to be honest. He has a lot of talent, but not sure the NBA is the right place for that kind of player. This last season his team (Real Madrid) lost the national league Finals against Valencia when they were the heavy favorites. It was obviously not his fault being such a young player, but others before him at very young age had taken their teams on their shoulders to win titles here (Pau Gasol did the season before leaving to the NBA, for example).

I'm basically saying this because of he "greatest European prospect" tag. I don't think so. He is very talented and will be a very good basketball player. As far as fundamentals go, he is likely better than any NCAA prospect. But I don't think he is the best prospect ever from Europe. A few that come to mind that I'd rank ahead of him are Drazen Petrovic, Arvydas Sabonis (arrived to the NBA past his prime), Dejan Bodiroga (he refused to go to the NBA but never knew why), Dirk Nowitzki or the aforementioned Pau Gasol. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he makes it to the NBA and has a long and great career, though.
ImageImageImageImageImage

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

By the way, good article, Tim.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

mgtr81 wrote:
Jestor wrote:http://dallassportsfanatic.com/luka-don ... ign=buffer

I think he is better fit for European basketball, to be honest. He has a lot of talent, but not sure the NBA is the right place for that kind of player. This last season his team (Real Madrid) lost the national league Finals against Valencia when they were the heavy favorites. It was obviously not his fault being such a young player, but others before him at very young age had taken their teams on their shoulders to win titles here (Pau Gasol did the season before leaving to the NBA, for example).

I'm basically saying this because of he "greatest European prospect" tag. I don't think so. He is very talented and will be a very good basketball player. As far as fundamentals go, he is likely better than any NCAA prospect. But I don't think he is the best prospect ever from Europe. A few that come to mind that I'd rank ahead of him are Drazen Petrovic, Arvydas Sabonis (arrived to the NBA past his prime), Dejan Bodiroga (he refused to go to the NBA but never knew why), Dirk Nowitzki or the aforementioned Pau Gasol. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he makes it to the NBA and has a long and great career, though.
Nowitzki and Gasol were pretty under the radar coming into the NBA, though - Doncic, I think, is getting the most hype ever precisely because he's so young and is already so technically skilled, so I think people are looking at traditional growth/development curves and getting excited about what they see as his upside (at least those who have compared him to Magic). I'll note that Pau was 20 when he lead his team to a title, 2 years older than Doncic. The fit is definitely a huge question mark, I agree, and one of the reasons why although he's getting that potential #1 chatter, a lot of it is going to depend on who's picking high in the draft - opinions are just that opposite on what he'll be.

Thanks, by the way.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Great read and congrats.

He looks very good, I'm the type of guy that is big on IQ over athleticism and you could see his IQ would easily get him over on guys who think with their body first and their mind second. Pump fakes and skill level the playing field and he has got the goods so thanks for putting me on to someone new.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Post by Chilikonkarne »

He is killing the Euro competition right now : 15.7pts, 7.7rbd and 3.1rbd

They just bet the Latvia of Porzingis in 1/4 Finals and he went 27pts and 9rbd. Playing Spain tonight. The kid is really impressive and not afraid to take responsibilities. But still, his stock is going down (Ranked #4 on DraftExpress). Not drafting him#1 next year would be a mistake.
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)