League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Small changes to the CBA

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Small changes to the CBA

Post by Flaming Homer »

We will implement two small changes starting next offseason.

1. Important for free agency, player with a starting annual salary of 3Mil USD or lower, can only be signed to a maximum contract length of 2 years.

2. Regular season start, we will allow player instructions to be traded. That should give all teams some additional small assets to use in trades.

The CBA will be updated accordingly.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Re: Small changes to the CBA

Post by hardenwithnod »

Sounds good, thanks!
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

Love the idea of trading instructions. But I also imagine some GMs will be even more difficult to negotiate with now
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

As in this upcoming offseason or the next one? Just seeing if I need to adjust my offer plans now
Cleveland Cavaliers

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

TheTwoWallaces wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:13 pm Love the idea of trading instructions. But I also imagine some GMs will be even more difficult to negotiate with now
1 Dogecoin for 3 instructions, post it.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

drumr wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:17 pm As in this upcoming offseason or the next one? Just seeing if I need to adjust my offer plans now
This upcoming offsesaon.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Sounds good!
Ball is Life.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Really like both of these changes!

Quick question about trading the instructions: can we trade them in the off-season as well? Or is this only for trades in-season? For instance, will everyone's instructions be reset once the trade window opens again, allowing us to trade our next year's instructions in the off-season? Or will everyone's instructions be reset at the start of the regular season, allowing us to trade them only once the regular season starts?

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

How are we defining trading player instructions? Is it just a number taken from the base amount of player instructions given to each team at the beginning of the season? For example, Blazers trade 3 of their player instructions, meaning they lose 3 player instructions and the other team gains 3 instructions.
Or is it based on the type of instruction? Say for example, Blazers can trade 1 Birutis player instructions, for the sake of the example let's just say it's +2 drive/shoot -2 drive/pass, and that's added to the trade package and executed upon completion of the trade? I assumed that if this example is the scenario that we are working with going forward, the instructions would be subtracted from the team doing the trading, not the team taking the traded player.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

I like #2.

I think I brought up trading instructions a few seasons ago. Should come in handy
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

both are good changes, in the past youd have to verbal a trade just to get instructions on the player which was annoying. Still waiting for a soft cap buff and a mid range buff and an improved draft lottery and a new engine(not draftdaysports) and TBD

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Do you know any other useful engine?
As shitty as DDS is in many regards, I was not able to find anything better. Research is a while ago now, maybe there is something new?

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

#2 is fun! Is this the equivalent as trading Cash Considerations in the NBA?
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

wms02a wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:11 pm #2 is fun! Is this the equivalent as trading Cash Considerations in the NBA?
Probably the closest thing you can get to this. We do not approve of you paypal'ing each other lol
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

wms02a wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:11 pm #2 is fun! Is this the equivalent as trading Cash Considerations in the NBA?
Absolutely

Love that idea!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I'd also love to see a rule for players signing from 3M to 5.5M (MLE), contracts up to 3 years only.

I don't think any player in NBA would sign a 4-5 year deal at below MLE level, barring exceptions.
This would prevent GMs from exploring that rule by offering 3.000.001 and 4 years.

Also, minimum raises should be asked in 5.5M or more deals, and for deals starting at 10M, the minimum raise should be 4.5%
Would also make it more fair overall and wouldn't allow teams to exploit the system as well. No 4 year deal in the NBA comes without raises anyway...

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Marcos_Beck wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:25 pm I'd also love to see a rule for players signing from 3M to 5.5M (MLE), contracts up to 3 years only.

I don't think any player in NBA would sign a 4-5 year deal at below MLE level, barring exceptions.
This would prevent GMs from exploring that rule by offering 3.000.001 and 4 years.

Also, minimum raises should be asked in 5.5M or more deals, and for deals starting at 10M, the minimum raise should be 4.5%
Would also make it more fair overall and wouldn't allow teams to exploit the system as well. No 4 year deal in the NBA comes without raises anyway...
This whole system needs to be relooked at and start from scratch. It's been 10-11 real life years since the cba was created.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Well we're constrained to the engine if we're going to continue to use it for Free Agency, and we know how many versions it takes Gary to make any real changes to the "other" aspects of the game.

Plenty of deals are structured as flat or even front loaded irl but that's not possible in the engine

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Im open to paypal or venmo deals for the right player.... screw retirement and kids college fund... i need to win a championshiup
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

KW wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:04 pm Well we're constrained to the engine if we're going to continue to use it for Free Agency, and we know how many versions it takes Gary to make any real changes to the "other" aspects of the game.

Plenty of deals are structured as flat or even front loaded irl but that's not possible in the engine
There's also non-guaranteed deals irl, but honestly long, flat contracts are not given to players who are constantly performing. They take at most 3 year deals in hopes of finding better ones sooner, but also locking up money.

Under 3M - 2 years, no raises
3 - 5.5M - 3 years, no raises
5.5M - 10M - 5 years, 3% minimum raises
10M+ - 5 years, 4.5% minimum raises

That should allow GMs to find gems on cheaper than expected deals but not lock up those gems forever, and also does not allow them to break the system with flat, 8M per year deals, like there has been a lot of them in CSL. The more money you offer, the longer contract you offer, a player expects to receive more raises, basically. I wish there was the possibility to frontload a deal here, but there isn't unless it's done manually, but these rules above could make FA more interesting while not taking away from those who are able to re-sign players for cheap.