League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

NCAA CSL PREVIEW

Chilikonkarne
CEO

NCAA CSL PREVIEW

Post by Chilikonkarne »

To be moved to NCAA CSL media section (currently closed for posting)

For those who don’t know the RAPTOR++, it is a tool for the pro league giving a grade/value to each player based on his ratings and efficiency.
It has been received quite well by the community despite few known flaws (defense, I am looking at you!)

I won’t recreate this process for the NCAA since players value is irrelevant as you don’t trade. We could discuss a rating based on stats and team performance but I am pretty sure the game already does that when giving awards.
However, before the season begins, I wanted to propose you an overview of the best (or 2 bests) player by position from the team controlled. The selection was made purely on the ratings and once the season starts, the performance will probably proves me wrong.

Apologies for the pictures - just picked random one

Point Guard

The Point Guard position is by far the most talented but there is one boy playing at an another level : Tom Thompson from Memphis.
Marcos can be grateful as he has an already CSL ready player to play with : Best passer (62) of the promotion (15 teams) by far with a really good handle (59), high IQ (65) and discipline (77). You have there the perfect floor general who can also score, rebound and steal.
Expect him to be drafted next year.

Shooting Guard

2 guys for the shooting guard : Kriss Bennett from Memphis and Alex Rawlings from UNLV.
Kriss Bennett and Tom Thompson should be one of the deadliest back court in the all country. Bennett has no real weakness and is an remarkable stealer who will be amazing to see in a full court press system. Great rebounder for a SG also. If Memphis doesn’t make it to the big dance, shame on you Marcos! :D
Without a doubt, Alex Rawlings should become one of the best scorer in the Mountain West Conference. On top of that, he can do about everything well and from the two side of the floor. Fun fact? He is only freshman…

Small Forward

Alabama didn’t see the NCAA tournament for a couple of years but that could change with Sean McCreight in the team.
Great scorer (44), elite defender (59), Sean has the all package to make the Alabama state dream again.

Power Forward

Will Abraham Love from Creighton average a double-double this season? Well, it wouldn’t surprise me. He is also an elite blocker and defender and should terrorize the big East this year.
Special mention to Antonio Rhymer from UNLV who will be dominant from athleticism point of view (96!)

Center

We conclude this selection with 2 centers : Kenny McClintock from California and Chris Hite from Texas.
McClintock should be the central part of the Golden Bears defense for his final year. Strong rebounder and high DRFL capabilities (91). Hite has a really similar profile for Texas but with more Athleticism.

For conclusion, here is the grade for each team by simply combining the 15 players rating.

Memphis 584
Massachusetts 565
UNLV 535
Alabama 533
California 533
North Dakota 532
Nebraska 531
Texas 528
Creighton 525
San Antonio 518
Boston College 517
Drexel 515
Lehigh 515
Cal St. Northridge 510
Wisconsin-Green Bay 507
Marquette 506
Florida State 496

Sorry Brett, it seems your team is indeed quite weak or really young!
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Re: NCAA CSL PREVIEW

Post by Ocons »

I need to see less of this NCAA stuff. I can't participate and really would like to so get it out of my face, lol. :P
Clown.Show.League

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Conspiracy!!

That is nuts. And yet they want me to win 15 games
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

My target is also to win 15 games

that's 15 games out of how many?
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

andrei wrote:My target is also to win 15 games

that's 15 games out of how many?
Usually around 30
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Wow, that Memphis backcourt looks deadly. Especially the 62 passing, that's insane! Also, the Alabama forward with the 59 DEF rating should be a defensive player of the year candidate

Mattybriand
CEO

Post by Mattybriand »

Deep team here in Massachusetts but nobody sticks out as a star

great article Chili! Awesome pictures too
Last edited by Mattybriand on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George DePaula|Damien Inglis|Draymond Green|Karl Anthony-Towns|Nikola Jokić

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Great initial article. Thanks for that Chili!

That Memphis backcourt should cause a lot of problems but 91 draw foul rating from McClintock?!? That could be a serious problem for most collegiate teams to keep him off of the FT line. Also very surprising to see both Marquette and FSU - two high major programs - at the very bottom of the list.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Mattybriand
CEO

Post by Mattybriand »

Ocons wrote:I need to see less of this NCAA stuff. I can't participate and really would like to so get it out of my face, lol. :P

Go buy a cheap laptop and I'll buy you the game lol!

geebob
General Manager

Post by geebob »

Rizzo wrote:Also very surprising to see both Marquette and FSU - two high major programs - at the very bottom of the list.
Yeah, Marquette with some decent/good players, but not a whole lot of depth and quite a few underclassman that will need a lot of development. Definitely a long term project with only two scholarships to hand out next year.

Frankly, I think I might be the bottom of the barrel as I have a highly rated walk-on, and they never seem to perform up to their ratings.

SamTheMan7
General Manager

Post by SamTheMan7 »

Great article!

Love is going to be a star for my team in the coming years (he's only a sophomore). Also I have 5 PFs, 4 of which are true freshman. I plan on redshirting a few of them but they all have around the same rating so I don't know who I want to play and who I want to redshirt

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

geebob wrote:Frankly, I think I might be the bottom of the barrel as I have a highly rated walk-on, and they never seem to perform up to their ratings.
Is that true? Looking at my roster page, I have a walk-on freshman SG that is supposedly my best player but if they don't typically play up to their ratings I guess I will temper my expectations for him.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

geebob
General Manager

Post by geebob »

Rizzo wrote:Is that true? Looking at my roster page, I have a walk-on freshman SG that is supposedly my best player but if they don't typically play up to their ratings I guess I will temper my expectations for him.
Just my subjective opinion from this and previous versions of the game. I have a center in a current sim with ratings like Shaquille who plays like Shakira.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

What is a redshirt? My team looks pretty bad and I've only one scholarship ^^
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

PLEASE CHILI NO PRESSURE. :lol:

All in all we have one of the strongest teams coming out of the gates. May DDS gods be with us!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Mattybriand
CEO

Post by Mattybriand »

Dennis wrote:What is a redshirt? My team looks pretty bad and I've only one scholarship ^^
Red shirt means the player can sit out the year and he still has 4 years of eligibility

So if you redshirt a freshman for a year he can develop and practice but cannot play in games untill next season

I.e
Redshirt a freshman
He then can play for your team for the next 4 seasons making it 5 season he was at your school

geebob
General Manager

Post by geebob »

Mattybriand wrote:Redshirt a freshman
He then can play for your team for the next 4 seasons making it 5 season he was at your school
But he still soaks up a scholarship, so it is only really valuable to redshirt a player with very high potential who won't be able to contribute much in the current season. Of course, there is no guarantee that the player will develop during their redshirt year, so you may just wind up tying up a scholarship for five years on a mediocre player.

My 2 cents... use it sparingly.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

geebob wrote:
Mattybriand wrote:Redshirt a freshman
But he still soaks up a scholarship, so it is only really valuable to redshirt a player with very high potential who won't be able to contribute much in the current season. Of course, there is no guarantee that the player will develop during their redshirt year, so you may just wind up tying up a scholarship for five years on a mediocre player.

My 2 cents... use it sparingly.
The other side of it is redshirting a player to balance out your classes. That way if you have like 6 freshman and only 1 senior, you can redshirt a freshman or two to balance it better.

geebob
General Manager

Post by geebob »

Myles wrote:
geebob wrote:The other side of it is redshirting a player to balance out your classes. That way if you have like 6 freshman and only 1 senior, you can redshirt a freshman or two to balance it better.
What would really be handy is the option of a medical redshirt or academic redshirt as in real-life college basketball. The medical redshirt (medical hardship waiver) is fairly common in NCAA sports. Is that possible to implement in the League (without glitching the database)?

Don_Black
General Manager

Post by Don_Black »

Great Article. Glad to see my guy Chris Hite make the list. We'll definitely go as he goes on the offensive end.