League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Floor Range Cap

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: Floor Range Cap

Post by Flaming Homer »

First Access for the 22 engine is now open.

We will start testing asap. But anyone who has the time to dig into the new engine is a welcome help and maybe gives us some"weight" if we have suggestions to Wolverine.

https://www.draftdaysports.com/board/vi ... 0f83418408

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

I like the injury slider idea the admin team is working on.

But changing how some players play because they are too good, isn't right. When KD or Harden ruled the CSL, everyone just adjusted to it. The same can be said with this. Zion can be stopped if you game plan him the right way. Which the Pistons did in the playoffs. It's just about figuring everything out. This is a new system and I'm sure most GM's are still figuring out how to play.

No need to adjust anything right now
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Sharkn20
Senior Vice President

Post by Sharkn20 »

Andrewu91 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:53 pm I like the injury slider idea the admin team is working on.

But changing how some players play because they are too good, isn't right. When KD or Harden ruled the CSL, everyone just adjusted to it. The same can be said with this. Zion can be stopped if you game plan him the right way. Which the Pistons did in the playoffs. It's just about figuring everything out. This is a new system and I'm sure most GM's are still figuring out how to play.

No need to adjust anything right now
For once, i agree with Andrew.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Taking a look at some of the player adjustments in the DC thread and even the examples about post play so just bringing this up for a quick discussion... and yes I've said it a few times in the past that altering the floor positions too much can be fun but probably isn't the best when it comes to exploiting flaws but was looking at the new game and default file and found this interesting enough to the point that maybe we should look at capping or having minimums per position or something like that.

I was looking at guys who weren't great from outside and only did two guys but take Giannis and Doncic from the default file. Giannis is amazing at the rim (RA rate of 80), poor from 3-10 (39 ITP), great mid range (47 MID) and poor outside (22 COR and 31 ATB). What I found interesting is that with his floor locations, he has 47 ATB despite being a poor outside shooter and obviously because he initiates the offense from there.

Long story short, he's efficient and solid and still averages 27-28 a game at 52-55% jacking some threes because that's what he's like but if this was the CSL, he'll be 100% post or 80% post, 20% mid range if people had his scouts so I did that and he then averaged over 30 a game but shot over 75% from the field and took no threes completely changing the player he was... and that was with leaving him a little mid range game.

Doncic is the crazy change though. Default he has a great RA rate of 68, good ITP of 50, great MID of 48 but average from COR and ATB at 36 and 35 yet the default file has his ATB floor location at 70. Default he's a 28-29 a game scorer at 46-47% taking 21-22 shots a game. Change his locations to 70% post and 20% mid leaving the rest and Doncic then takes 30 shots a game, averages 45-47 points and at 52-54% from the field. Would be even more efficient if he was given more post and he took zero threes. Does that sound familiar to another Doncic haha with no ATB location?

I guess my point is that we've created this issue by changing players too much to the point that we don't care about where a player should stand on the court or initiate the offense from but only from where he'll score best from. It also lowers the value of strategies a lot as they're meant to adjust players floor ranges on the fly but they can be ineffective and pointless as if you wanted to lower threes for a certain guy, just edit his floor ranges versus playing a strategy that lowers them a little. I remember when I had Westbrook, we had no floor ranges and teams made him a jacker by sagging off him and it definitely hurt me but felt it was a lot more realistic.

Anyway, not saying we need to do anything about it but I think it's pretty evident we've created some of these issues when in reality, you're not meant to stop these guys from taking shots ATB, just work with how they are.

Just a thought anyway.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

That's why our players doesn't have that kind of rating, though.. Imagine if Luka had 50 ITP, he would be a freaking monster to deal with.
DDSPB22 doesn't allow teams to adjust floor ranges and that's why they have such huge ratings all around. We allow GMs to turn players into what they believe will be better, and in return our ratings are generally lower than the default file.

I'd be ok with either option but one thing is true: if we're not allowing floor location changes anymore, there would have to be some kind of ratings adjustment as well. And that would be really hard to do.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

bt

Post by bt »

Yeah I get that side of it and agree but doesn't change the fact that it's better to just barrage inside still.

Ain't going to see Doncic hang ATB or anyone who has average to poor outside shot or mid ratings. I'm not offering a solution as there might not be one but completely eliminating floor ranges just feels extreme as it'd still be nice to see someone like Doncic jack threes a little.
sacramento kings

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Create a handful of players in the draft. These player are stubborn they wont change their floor locations.

Have a list of these players, and anyone who tries to change their floor positions will deal with punishment similar to going over 20 instructions.

If people like it create maybe 10 per draft.

bt

Post by bt »

That's an option but changing floor locations would still be fine I reckon, just maybe a minimum per position or height or something.

Like all guards couldn't have less than 20 or 30 ATB, forwards less than 10 or 20 ATB and bigs no limit as they could be post only.

For example, just think it's highly unlikely that there would be any guards without at least some ATB, etc. Then ball actions become a lot more important (drive from ATB or pull up). With FG% down overall though, like Marcos said, it might even lower them more if you have players taking more ATB shots.
sacramento kings

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

I suggested something similar to that, and they dont want to add that much complexity at least not yet.

It would also be rough to implement an ATB min for current players. It could make some good players unplayable.

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

I think what you're suggesting does create a more diverse group of players. We all want that its just how do we get there.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Biggest problem is that player rarely take shots if they don’t have post assigned. We also would need to have to adjust pass pref to still get them going.

I really would love to have fox being ATB and then driving/drive kick. Similar to ja morant in the nba when you compare styles. It’s sadly not possible though as post still determines shots taken and the biggest challenge right now is to even get a player to be above 40%. So even more ATB shots will be hurting even further.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028