League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Playing your players big minutes

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Playing your players big minutes

Post by KW »

I'm seeing a lot of our newer GMs riding their starters for 40+ minutes early in this season.

I want to remind everyone that this is likely not a great idea for injury reasons. In 11 DDS PB3 seasons, we observed on many occasions that players who play a heavy load might be susceptible to repeat injuries. It seems to disproportionately affect stars, as we rarely see this happen to role players. A combination of huge minutes, lots of touches, high pace, and/or high defensive intensity are some possible causes. There's never any reason to believe Gary changes anything, so I'm operating under the assumption that this is still the case in 19.

There is a pretty long list of players who suffered 1-2 month or season-ending injuries that end up having another one. It is believed that there is a flag of sorts behind the scenes that follows a player when they have broken or torn something, that makes them somewhat injury prone, regardless of their durability rating.

If you want to give some guys extended run early in the year to see what they're capable of, or you need them for a specific matchup, go right ahead, but I want to make sure everyone knows they're playing with fire, giving guys 40 minutes a game for an entire season. I'm cautious but my starters are typically around 25-32 mpg by the end of the season, and then they can bump up to 32-40 for the playoffs.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Re: Playing your players big minutes

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Perfect advice Kyrus
It’s really important to manage your player’s minutes across the year

There’s no “cumulative fatigue” in the engine but it seems like injuries are indeed directly related to the number of minutes played during the year.
Fight for the playoffs, do whatever you need to win, but going for anything higher than 34 minutes a game for 82 games is asking for trouble when it matters.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

You must have seen MCW season stats :-)

Indeed good advice. Especially if it is the star of the team. If he goes down a lot of times a season is lost.

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

But but but but then their stats won't be really good and people won't think theyre better than they are when I try to trade them!
Clown.Show.League

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Ocons wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:21 am But but but but then their stats won't be really good and people won't think theyre better than they are when I try to trade them!
I don’t understand how we weren’t friends before man..
I just love you and those comments lol
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Assuming you arnt playing your players into fatigue. 30 min/game for 14 games has the same injury risk as 35 min/game for 12 games. So its probably smarter to rest your stars against scrub teams than to reduce their minutes.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Silogical wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:39 pm Assuming you arnt playing your players into fatigue. 30 min/game for 14 games has the same injury risk as 35 min/game for 12 games. So its probably smarter to rest your stars against scrub teams than to reduce their minutes.
Yeah that's what I did my championship year and why I ended up 4th seed lol
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Thanks for the advice to new joiners, Kyrus. However, I do not think there is enough evidence for this. In more than 10 years playing this game and countless seasons in many leagues with almost all versions of the game, I have seen many players play heavy minutes throughout their careers and barely miss a game. What I have noticed, but I wouldn't say there is enough evidence, is that once players get over a certain age they become more injury prone, but this could be related to the decrease in endurance.
ImageImageImageImageImage