League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Addition by subtraction

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Addition by subtraction

Post by Andrewu91 »

Going out:

KCP
TJ McConnell
Malik Pope
Seth Curry
Knicks 2028 1st round pick

Coming in:

Travis Trice
Nik Stauskas
Sam Thompson
Mitch McGary
Brandon Dawson
Walter Tavares

Re-Signed:

Jaren Jackson Jr.
Jonathon Simmons
Willie Cauley-Stein
Vince Hunter
-------------------------------------------

After a devastating defeat in Game 7 against the NBA's best record, the New York Knicks came up just short, of a CSL title. They feel if they had beaten the Pistons, they would have beaten the Celtics and the Kings. As Jaren Jackson Jr. and Zion Williamson would have a field day.

But ultimately, lost. The positives outweigh the negatives though. The plan all along has been to slowly rebuild and retool the Knicks.

From Year 1, taking them to the playoffs and winning 43 games. To Year 2, winning 56 games and Zion Williamson being named Most Valuable Player. There are positives but unfortunately, we were too young last year.

Tyler Hero was only in his second year, and we are super high on him being our 6th man going forward.

Lack of big man depth. Only WCS and Vince Hunter were our back up bigs. In case either of the twin towers went down.

Need another play maker and shooter

So.. approaching this off season, we were concerned about our backup point guard position. With TJ McConnell getting older, we wanted to have another play maker to help out GDP, and give him less minutes.

Comes in: Travis Trice, Sam Thompson, Brandon Dawson

This was a trade where we ended up giving a 1st round pick away, but we also got rid of KCP's contract, which allowed us to have more flexibility next off season(MLE).

The deal was a no brainer. Travis Trice has shown he can excell as a 5th starter, but ultimately, the perfect back up point guard. He has shown that with Detroit a few seasons ago. We will work on his preferences to make his field goal percentage better.

Sam Thompson is a capable back up player, and is very similar to KCP, but on a way better contract.

Brandon Dawson can play spot minutes with his defense and rebounding abilities.

After the trade, we were only at 9 players and without depth. So it was in our best interest to price drive Free Agents to better suit our team, and the CSL in the future.

After everything, plenty of quality Free Agents were left. Looking at teams with financial trouble and teams with cap space, it was the perfect opportunity to bring in older players that rebuilding teams didn't want, and that financially troubled teams couldn't afford.

First up: Vince Hunter

He seems like an okay backup. But he plays way better than his ratings. I think we could have signed him cheaper, but a trade may come up during the season, so why not throw him 3.5 million and let him take the offer. So we or his new team can keep him next year, or let him walk.

Next up: Throw a bunch of cheap offers at veteran guys

We made offers to 7-8 guys, and thankfully 5 accepted on day 3 of free agency. All signed to a minimum of either a 1 or 2 year deal.

- Nik Stauskas: I was surprised he wasn't offered more. But he was on the Cavs and wasn't talked about much. He is one of the better shooters who take more than 5 attempts per game. In his prime, he is what I want Tyler Hero to be.

- Mitch McGary: Last year, he was on the Atlanta Hawks averaging 14 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists. After, he was traded to the Spurs and sort of wasn't talked about anymore. He did average 12 points, 11 rebounds and 3 assists.

- Walter Tavares: A solid veteran who can come in and play spot minutes, while grabbing rebounds for you.

- Jonathon Simmons: I had to renounce his bird rights, which in my mind, I lost him. That stung. But as Free Agency went on, he wasn't getting a single offer. I know why, it's because of his stats. He won't show up on the stat sheet, but he's a glue guy who does a bit of everything (mostly defense). If I had kept his bird rights, I was prepared to offer him 5 million a year. That's how much I see his worth on Knicks. Luckily he signed for the minimum.

Overall: I feel like this year, we will have an even more improved Zion Williamson after training camp, and we have way more depth than last year. Hopefully we can surpass 56 wins and ultimately achieve our goal, a CSL Championship.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: Addition by subtraction

Post by Flaming Homer »

The Knicks indeed lost much except of their 1st rounder next year. Probably not better than 25 if everything goes like planned.

With the cheap signings of some still good veterans I think the Knicks will be in the hunt for the Eastern crown. Especially the signings of McGary, Stauskas and the re-sign of Simmons should provide a lot of help of the bench.

So far I think Detroit, Miami and New York look like the top 3 on the East side and it should be another tough challenge to even make it in the playoffs there.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Flaming Homer wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:40 pm The Knicks indeed lost much except of their 1st rounder next year. Probably not better than 25 if everything goes like planned.

With the cheap signings of some still good veterans I think the Knicks will be in the hunt for the Eastern crown. Especially the signings of McGary, Stauskas and the re-sign of Simmons should provide a lot of help of the bench.

So far I think Detroit, Miami and New York look like the top 3 on the East side and it should be another tough challenge to even make it in the playoffs there.
Thanks for the feedback. I hope we can finally get over the hump

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

I bet Trice would have a big role in your campaign this year, the reason why you risk trading that 1st to us. Offcourse i'd be more than happy if you failed but that's very unlikely with Zion around.
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

rh0xxy wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:00 pm I bet Trice would have a big role in your campaign this year, the reason why you risk trading that 1st to us. Offcourse i'd be more than happy if you failed but that's very unlikely with Zion around.
I think he will be. GDP against elite point guards, would get into foul trouble. Trice is there, just in case it happens.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Approved