League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Top 5 obvious free agents

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Top 5 obvious free agents

Post by Andrewu91 »

1. Troy Brown - If any team offers Middletown the Max, and Troy Brown the Max, the bucks will have to choose only one player. As they will be just over the 90 million hard cap, with the new free agent rules.

2. Kaiser Gates - Another one of the guys benefiting from the new free agent rules. Detroit is hovering around 80 million at the moment. One max offer for Gates and they can't afford him.

3. Draymond Green/ Shaq Harrison - If both received max offers, the Sun's will be over the 90 million hard cap.

4. Marcus Derrickson - One full max contract and the nets can't afford him, without a move or two.

5. Markelle Fultz - Just like Derrickson, the Pelicans are in the same boat. One full max and they can't afford him.

This is all subject to change, if the hard cap increases.
Last edited by Andrewu91 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

wms02a
CEO

Re: Top 6 obvious free agents

Post by wms02a »

Andrewu91 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:29 pm 2. Kristaps Porzingis - with the Jazz already at 86 million in cap, any legit offer will land a team the unicorn.
Did I miss something? Poor orlando
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Andrewu91 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:29 pm 4. Draymond Green/ Shaq Harrison - If both received max offers, the Sun's will be over the 90 million hard cap.
Doubt PHX blinks.... Harrison will be in PHX next year
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

wms02a wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:31 pm
Andrewu91 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:29 pm 2. Kristaps Porzingis - with the Jazz already at 86 million in cap, any legit offer will land a team the unicorn.
I keep thinking he's on the Jazz.. oops

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Andrewu91 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:33 pm
I think you just like picking on Kevin...
Dallas Maverick GM

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

wms02a wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:34 pm
Andrewu91 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:33 pm

I think you just like picking on Kevin...
Nah.

Those were the first top 6 I looked into, at the time. Teams already closer to the hard cap, I try to look at their free agents and their team salary situation.

Anyone is free to add a player I missed. I made this article pretty quick.

Maybe this new salary rule can help balance out some talent in the csl.

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Re: Top 5 obvious free agents

Post by mgtr81 »

Andrewu91 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:29 pm 1. Troy Brown - If any team offers Middletown the Max, and Troy Brown the Max, the bucks will have to choose only one player. As they will be just over the 90 million hard cap, with the new free agent rules.
No idea what you mean ... that would make exactly $80,997,499 ... still room under the HC.
ImageImageImageImageImage

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

why would anyone max draymond green? nobody will, especially after he got destroyed in the playoffs
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

OneNole wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:16 pm why would anyone max draymond green? nobody will, especially after he got destroyed in the playoffs
Knowing how you roll, he would be a perfect fit around Taytum.

Weren't you the one discussing the Dray trade as PHX assistant? I could be wrong

In this engine, I don't see Draymond as a max player, but he is definitely worth 11-13 million. He does a lot in this engine.

Not many guys average 9-7-6-1-1 with great defense, and doesn't take shots away from their stars. He's a perfect compliment to a star and other players.

But if someone wants a rare player(not many out there), they could offer him 16 million, and snag him easily.

This list was just to show what's possible for GM's with cap space.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Honestly rating wise, I barely see a handful of guys worth a max league wide, not just this FA but going to be interesting to see all these big dollars thrown around.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

I don't think any of the guys on this list deserve a max deal at $16+m, but that's why free agency is always bananas in this league.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Rizzo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:55 am I don't think any of the guys on this list deserve a max deal at $16+m, but that's why free agency is always bananas in this league.
Id max harrison and gates without blinking
Dallas Maverick GM

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

wms02a wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:23 am
Rizzo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:55 am I don't think any of the guys on this list deserve a max deal at $16+m, but that's why free agency is always bananas in this league.
Id max harrison and gates without blinking
That’s what Adam meant with this league going bananas in FA :lol:
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Dennis wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:58 amThat’s what Adam meant with this league going bananas in FA :lol:
This is what I'm saying! If you max Gates, that means you have enough room to max one more player and then you're rounding out your roster with depth pieces. If Gates is your #2, are you really competing for a title?
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

To be fair, maxing a player isn't always about the final product of roster construction.

If your team is still building value, overpaying for Gates is more beneficial than not having Gates because you now have a valuable piece for negotiations.

Within reason, it's more beneficial to overpay for quality CSL talent than it is to not obtain any talent. Especially if you're not yet close to competing for a title.
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

TheTwoWallaces wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:44 pm To be fair, maxing a player isn't always about the final product of roster construction.

If your team is still building value, overpaying for Gates is more beneficial than not having Gates because you now have a valuable piece for negotiations.

Within reason, it's more beneficial to overpay for quality CSL talent than it is to not obtain any talent. Especially if you're not yet close to competing for a title.
I don’t think elites would see gates on max as valuable piece for negotiations imo.

CSL Champions Image 2028

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Dennis wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:47 pm
TheTwoWallaces wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:44 pm To be fair, maxing a player isn't always about the final product of roster construction.

I don’t think elites would see gates on max as valuable piece for negotiations imo.
Gates is basically Winslow and I've already accepted that Winslow will be getting max offers a year from now and planning accordingly

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

KW wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:10 pm
Dennis wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:47 pm

Gates is basically Winslow and I've already accepted that Winslow will be getting max offers a year from now and planning accordingly
Are there two winslows in the game?

CSL Champions Image 2028

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Overpaying is the only way to obtain a RFA and worse case scenario it puts financial pressure on the mother team
Dallas Maverick GM

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Andrewu91 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:29 pm 1. Troy Brown - If any team offers Middletown the Max, and Troy Brown the Max, the bucks will have to choose only one player. As they will be just over the 90 million hard cap, with the new free agent rules.

2. Kaiser Gates - Another one of the guys benefiting from the new free agent rules. Detroit is hovering around 80 million at the moment. One max offer for Gates and they can't afford him.

3. Draymond Green/ Shaq Harrison - If both received max offers, the Sun's will be over the 90 million hard cap.

4. Marcus Derrickson - One full max contract and the nets can't afford him, without a move or two.

5. Markelle Fultz - Just like Derrickson, the Pelicans are in the same boat. One full max and they can't afford him.

This is all subject to change, if the hard cap increases.
These players all got huge pay. Looking back at article, I wrote it thinking the new cap plan was in place.

Either way, some of these guys aren't worth max, but 12-13.6 is what they got. Here is my ranking and what they are realistically worth.

1. Shaq Harrison(10 million) - A guy who became a major steal and started his first few years hot. A major defensive monster who can create and get to the lane. So what happened, and why did he just average 10-5-5-2? He was averaging 15-7-4-2.

2. Kaiser Gates(9 million) - A defensive player of the year type guy. Think Okaro White lite. He can't block like Okaro could in his prime. Besides that, both players are very similar. It would be scary if he somehow had a three point shot.

3. Draymond Green(7 million) - Mr. Triple single. The guy who can fill up a stat sheet. But fills it up by fouling out and being wildly inconsistent. 8-7-6-1-1 is not worth 15 million, but if you can afford it, he's a perfect glue guy.

4. Marcus Derrickson (7 million) - He is a player that is above average at everything, but not great at anything. He is the perfect 5th starter type of guy

5. Markelle Fultz(5.5 million) - He showed a lot of promise, and then disappoints by disappearing and shooting you out of games. Not good enough to start, but too good to be the 6th man. So the question mark still remains. What can he bring to a winning team, with all the talent he does have.