League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Offensive Set Testing

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Offensive Set Testing

Post by emplep7 »

Offensive Set Testing

So with the discussion around how players will be have differently depending on the offensive set, we decided to post the results of the tests below with each set using Frank Ntilikina as a subject using his preseason preferences. Two season’s were run for each set with the worst performing season being displayed to show a low end of performance. The only thing that was changed during these tests was the offensive set and nothing else. See below for the results:

Baseline DDS19 stats:

30.6 MPG
17.7 PPG
6.4/14.5 FG (0.439 FG%)
0.526 TS%

Offensive Set: Balanced

Stats:
31.2 mpg
17.8 ppg
6.4/16.0 FG (0.398 FG%)
1.6/4.9 3PT FG (0.327 3PT%)
3.5/4.2 FT (0.833 FT%)
0.500 TS%
27.0 USG%
56.1 TCHS

Shot Chart:

Analysis: Balanced suited Frank pretty good overall, even though he still needs some optimization. His 3PT shot wasn’t hitting and he took more shot attempts than he did in 19, but some of that could be due to a different team dynamic. His TS% was still lagging a bit behind what was seen in DDS19.

Offensive Set: Grind

Stats:
31.5 mpg
16.1 ppg
5.8/14.8 FG (0.389 FG%)
0.6/1.9 3PT FG (0.333 3PT%)
3.1/3.7 FT (0.830 FT%)
0.487 TS%
25.7 USG%
52.1 TCHS

Shot Chart:

Analysis: This set isn’t ideal for a player setup like Frank as his overall efficiency took a slight dip from where he was with a Balanced offense. 3PT shots went way down as well.

Offensive Set: Pace and Space

Stats:
31.9 mpg
18.0 ppg
6.5/16.5 FG (0.393 FG%)
1.8/5.3 3PT FG (0.345 3PT%)
3.2/3.8 FT (0.846 FT%)
0.495 TS%
27.1 USG%
58.3 TCHS

Shot Chart:

Analysis: Pretty average overall for Frank, but Balanced still suits him better so far. Everything else was pretty inline with Balanced though outside of slightly more touches per game.

Offensive Set: Perimeter Focus

Stats:
31.2 mpg
18.5 ppg
6.8/17.3 FG (0.394 FG%)
1.8/5.8 3PT FG (0.311 3PT%)
3.1/3.9 FT (0.789 FT%)
0.488 TS%
29.0 USG%
55.9 TCHS

Shot Chart:

Analysis: Not terrible, its not a great fit due to his lower 3PT shooting percentages. His usage is pretty high overall, but he did put up the a solid number of points in this set (just not efficiently). Not his best set overall IMO.

Offensive Set: Post Focus

Stats:
31.7 mpg
16.4 ppg
6.1/14.5 FG (0.417 FG%)
1.1/3.6 3PT FG (0.311 3PT%)
3.4/3.9 FT (0.862 FT%)
0.511 TS%
24.5 USG%
56.0 TCHS

Shot Chart:

Analysis: His best offensive set which his FG% and TS% creeping closer to where he was with DDS19. Shot attempts are where they should be as well and his 3PT percentage is more aligned to normal levels.

Offensive Set: Seven Seconds

Stats:
31.5 mpg
18.5 ppg
6.7/16.7 FG (0.402 FG%)
0.8/2.2 3PT FG (0.352 3PT%)
3.2/3.8 FT (0.843 FT%)
0.504 TS%
28.0 USG%
56.8 TCHS

Shot Chart:

Analysis: Not a bad option for Frank either as this set lowered his 3PT attempts and allowed him to take some different looking shots.

So there you have it. Just some more data to provide to you all to show the different things you might see based on the offensive set you play with a guard.

Post your comments below!

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Re: Offensive Set Testing

Post by Dennis »

Weird to see 3pt attempts down for 7 seconds. Need to check that strat again, but somehow thought it will result in racking up 3s.
I still remember creating frank N. I was sure I assigned him a better 3pt shot though lol.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Post up is considered the best offense for Franky N? Very odd, considering that the Detroit Pistons have no star post-up players. Your team currently consists of Garland and Ntilikina, and Gates, which none of the 3 are legit post-up scorers. Then comes Ivan Rabb and Brandon McCoy, who are both solid interior scorers but need spacing to operate, and I'd honestly send a double off of Gates every time. Especially considering Rabb and McCoy aren't respected frontcourt players, they are just one-way role players.

More importantly, someone of Franky N's caliber shouldn't be shooting below 40% for 4 of the 6 offenses. He may not be some offensive superstar, but he's always been known for taking what the offense gives him, and taking just enough shots efficiently enough to make him matter on offense. Now, he's a non-factor, shooting 39% in Grind, Balanced, Pace and Space, and Perimeter Focus. He used to be a legit floor general, and a star role player. Now? Just your common role player with poor efficiency across the floor.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Ramcus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:55 am Post up is considered the best offense for Franky N? Very odd, considering that the Detroit Pistons have no star post-up players. Your team currently consists of Garland and Ntilikina, and Gates, which none of the 3 are legit post-up scorers. Then comes Ivan Rabb and Brandon McCoy, who are both solid interior scorers but need spacing to operate, and I'd honestly send a double off of Gates every time. Especially considering Rabb and McCoy aren't respected frontcourt players, they are just one-way role players.

More importantly, someone of Franky N's caliber shouldn't be shooting below 40% for 4 of the 6 offenses. He may not be some offensive superstar, but he's always been known for taking what the offense gives him, and taking just enough shots efficiently enough to make him matter on offense. Now, he's a non-factor, shooting 39% in Grind, Balanced, Pace and Space, and Perimeter Focus. He used to be a legit floor general, and a star role player. Now? Just your common role player with poor efficiency across the floor.
I woudln't take this as an affront on Frank N. This is in pre-season unadjusted before I am going to adjust him for the regular season. I was only using him to show how each offensive set impacts different shot attempts, etc within the game.

Again, this is a test for offensive sets for information only though and not meant to be an example of how I would select sets for my team. I would run my team offensive/defensive sets based on what fits for my team, not just one player.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

FrankyN sure needs some work.
He was not a great shooter in 19 either with 43% shooting. But his 3pt shot is somehow totally missing.

But looking at this shooting ratings and his current preferences I can think of a few things I would change and would expect him to get better shots.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Thanks for this, it's odd how some of these offensive sets who are supposed to be much more perimeter focus did not lead to much of a difference in perimeter shots it seems. I know this Frank N has not been fixed preferences wise yet, but it's still interesting to see how some of these offensive sets did not really shifted his shot selections.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis