League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

The young Hawks ready to fly? - Atlanta 2029 Season Preview

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Flaming Homer
Commissioner

The young Hawks ready to fly? - Atlanta 2029 Season Preview

Post by Flaming Homer »

A bit late for a season preview with already 11 games played for the Hawks but I had not much time to check on the team during the off-season and just now getting slowly back to try different things and get a feeling what we got on the roster for this year.

Still in full rebuild mode, the talent level of the team is probably the lowest in the CSL and unfortunately it will take some time to change that.

Speaking of talent, the team had two top 10 picks available during the last draft and used it to draft a talented but raw wing in Isaac Okoro and after that a more traditional big man with Asbjorn Mitgaardt.

The preseason revealed that, as expected, Okoro is long ways away from being a useful CSL player. The lack of alternatives will give him still plenty of time to play and hopefully develop, but it will not be pretty during the first two season or so.
Mitgaardt had a tough preseason as well, shooting way below what was expected close to the basket. But during the regular season and his move to the bench, he surprised the training staff with steady and efficient play and the team strongly hopes he can still grow from there.

Main goal is to use the financial flexibility and whoever player on the roster fetches interest to acquire more future draft picks or young player with hope that some of them can be turned into solid CSL talent and the one or other star player needed to compete.

With same games already in the bag, it looks like TJ Leaf will be the scoring leader of the team for this season. He cooled a little off after a very hot start, especially from 3-point range, but he is in line with his career numbers and what he showed during preseason as well.
Kostas Antetokounmpo seems also more comfortable in his starting role this year and we may look at a role player the teams would like to keep long term. The other player the team hoped to establish as a long-term team member is Lonnie Walker, just extended during free agency. Unfortunately, he struggles mightily since his new contract and it has to be seen if he can stay in the league.

Overall, the outlook seems bleak but the motivation throughout the whole team is high and everybody is chipping in. Time to test how different lineups work. Time to give some player crucial time to prove themselves and of course excitement in the draft department during the whole season and the hope to luck out on maybe the future face of the franchise.

Let's see how the young Hawks will do and if some deals can be found.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Re: The young Hawks ready to fly? - Atlanta 2029 Season Preview

Post by Dennis »

Yeah rebuilding teams helped the change a lot. The old players aren’t working as good as before and teams that already rebuilt beforehand now just have to wait for the for dds22 adjusted draftees and can rise to the top right away. Your all in before the change was really smart as you might only lose a season before being back to relevance now.

On top your knowledge is already superior to the other gm due to the testing, so you can use that to maximise your current talent and potentially boost their trade value. I see the hawks back at the top very soon
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Dennis wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:02 am Yeah rebuilding teams helped the change a lot. The old players aren’t working as good as before and teams that already rebuilt beforehand now just have to wait for the for dds22 adjusted draftees and can rise to the top right away. Your all in before the change was really smart as you might only lose a season before being back to relevance now.

On top your knowledge is already superior to the other gm due to the testing, so you can use that to maximise your current talent and potentially boost their trade value. I see the hawks back at the top very soon
Don't get your hopes up, I seem to know absolutely nothing so far

:D

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

The Hawks are in great position. Even though I still feel you botched the draft pick, Okoro will still be useful in a few years when you are ready to be competitive.

Some solid under the radar free agent moves and draft picks, I can see this team making the playoffs in 3 seasons.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

KW wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:50 am
Dennis wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:02 am Yeah rebuilding teams helped the change a lot. The old players aren’t working as good as before and teams that already rebuilt beforehand now just have to wait for the for dds22 adjusted draftees and can rise to the top right away. Your all in before the change was really smart as you might only lose a season before being back to relevance now.

Don't get your hopes up, I seem to know absolutely nothing so far

:D
Haha. Me neither. Just seeing prior elites being very inefficient and lately created players being stronger. Fox, Tatum, smith and co are no top 10/ top20 player anymore while bowman culver and co moved into the top10. I know small sample size but including all the preseasons we had it’s already a good indicator.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Yeah a rebuild together with a engine switch makes sense. But I doubt the team will see the playoffs anytime soon, doesn't matter what engine. Depending heavily in what player you luck in (or don't) during the draft or with trades.

Agree with Andrew about Okoro, should be a useful player down the road but for a #2 pick you would hope to pick a player able to carry a franchise.

On the other side, seeing AD, Smart and Porter being better as last season in 19, it would be fun to see how my old team would do right now :-)

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Patience is the key. You will likely receive several offers as your rebuild continues and you add young players, but if you really like the players you draft, keep them.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

mgtr81 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:27 pm Patience is the key. You will likely receive several offers as your rebuild continues and you add young players, but if you really like the players you draft, keep them.
Exactly what I have in mind!

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

be patient bro ..only way is up and try and get some more picks or younger players

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

You're sitting in a really good place of young guy (Isaac Okoro) picks and capspace + you know what you're doing!

The Hawks will be flying high in no time!

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams