League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

The Orlando Sentinel: Magical Off Season

Write updates about your team or the league here.
WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

The Orlando Sentinel: Magical Off Season

Post by WillyJakkz »

The Orlando Magic and Portland Trailblazers have now officially completed the trade which sent G Milos Teodosic and the rights to F Franz Wagner to Portland in exchange for PG Ja Morant which effectively leaves the Magic with just 6 Players on the roster.

Joel Embiid, Andrew Wiggins, Ja Morant, LaMelo Ball, Jonathan Kuminga, and Kristaps Porzingis who has now been the subject of several trade talks.

Orlando opened up lines of communication to the League seeking counsel from the best GM's in the Association who graciously assisted with their perspective of possible team directions. In respect of said GM's, the sources of these
following quotes shall remain anonymous.
Anonymous GM 1:
I think a rebuild is the way to go with your team.

Anonymous GM 2:
Just catching up with the league media ... and saw you talked Zion with Andrew.
I personally would do a trade of Porki, Ball in a heart beat.

Anonymous GM 3:
...add a shotblocking 5 and you have a very good team with Ball and Morant as scorers, great defense on the wings and shotblocking to cover for Ball and Morant’s defensive woes.

Of course KP slots perfectly as the shotblocking big there, that’s why you don’t necessarily need to trade him.

Anonymous GM 4:
Trade KP now while he still carries value. With Morant/Ball/Kuminga, you're on a rebuilding window.

Anonymous GM 5:
If something in the transition to 22 turns KP into an MVP candidate, you might want to know that first. Never really know what's going to happen, especially with players that have some elite skills.

Anonymous GM 6:
I wouldn't rush into talking {trades for} kp.
Magic GM WillyJakkz stated, "We are thoroughly grateful for the amount of input we received from those GM's and certainly will continue to assess our team dynamic keeping their counsel in mind."

"We also have a potential plethora of capspace going into next off-season and will look to prepare for that as well", added GM WillyJakkz.

C Joel Embiid as well as GF Andrew Wiggins are expiring after the end of the 2028 which means Orlando will have over $41M in salary coming off the books allowing them to make a run at the Top Players in the League should they become available.

One name in particular came up during the Front Office Free Agency meeting for this current year, Utah's Donovan Mitchell who is only 26 years old.

Mitchell, a former Magic player never quite found his stride here in his previous stint but now with a different cast he may be someone Orlando could make a play for should he exercise his Player Option to become an Unrestricted Free Agent.

G Donovan Mitchell

"It's a great fantasy at the moment to think about but I'm more concerned about the guys who are actually here now and preparing them", said Head Coach Nate McMillan.

So what's behind the Magic Eight Ball? We currently don't know but the Magic have their work cut out for them indeed!

Go Magic!

Magic Update:
Late this evening it has been confirmed the Magic have signed Free Agent F Robert Covington.

Covington enjoyed some of the best seasons of his career in Orlando averaging 14pts in the 2021 season followed by 7asts in the 2022 season.

"It's great to be back here seeing Joel and Andrew along with the young guys they drafted and hopefully with my experience I can help the new guys develop and contribute to creating a winning culture", said Covington.

Magic Update:
In the Final Day of Free Agency the Magic secured another former player who fit in very well with them in SG Wes Iwundu.

Iwundu is slated to see significant minutes at the SG position as Andrew Wiggins continues his rehabilitation from a torn ACL during the 2027-2028 season.

Magic Update:
Heading into Training Camp the Orlando Magic needed to fill out their remaining roster spots and that's exactly what they did.

Orlando brought in PG TJ McConnell, SF Sam Dekker, PF OG Anunoby, and F Duncan Robinson to complete their 12 Man Roster. All of whom are expected to make nifty contributions to the team this upcoming season.

Also during Head Coach Nate McMillan's first Training Camp with the team he made it a priority to focus on offense, defense, as well as watching film to get the guys accustomed to a new way of preparation for the upcoming season.

"It was a great camp with the guys, I'm proud of what I'm seeing with the team and their effort and desire. From what I saw of Ja Morant he seems to have improved his Scoring and his Passing and I really really like what I have in LaMelo Ball. He and Ja got after it and I love to see that competitive spirit", said Coach McMillan.

"I like what I saw in our other rookie the Kuminga kid, very athletic and disruptive on defense", McMillan added.

While things are looking up for Orlando as the team goes on its break before the League Transition and preseason begins, Orlando has perhaps one more decision to make. What will they do with FC Kristaps Porzingis who has been in trade talks since the CSL Draft?

The Magic have also been contacted by Knicks GM who had scoffed at the idea of a Ball Porzingis for Zion Williamson move has now made an attempt to trade for LaMelo Ball.
Andrewu91 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:12 am I'm liking LaMelo. Surprised he slipped to #3.

Zion isn't available but JJJ. I am interested in a JJJ for LaMelo ball trade.

20-11 all NBA JJJ who is only 23 years old

Interested?
Orlando quickly replied they were not interested however it remains to be seen what stance Orlando takes moving forward with Kristaps as the consensus has been to reach out, survey the market, then wait for the Preseason to make a move.

Going into the 2029 season Free Agency ideally would be a great move for Orlando as they also have expiring Pelicans C Mo Bamba as well as Pelicans PF Lauri Markkanen on their radar.

C Mo Bamba

PF Lauri Markkanen

We will soon see what Orlando has up its sleeve!

This will do it for the Orlando Off-Season Edition as we await the transition! Thank you for reading!

Go Magic!
Last edited by WillyJakkz on Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton |
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Re: The Orlando Sentinel: Magic Eight Ball

Post by WillyJakkz »

Free Agent update

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Re: The Orlando Sentinel: Magic Off Season

Post by WillyJakkz »

Free Agent Update

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Only 8 players still?
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

OneNole wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:19 pm Only 8 players still?
my thought exactly ..you should have snagged some people in free agency

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Stockton12 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:52 pm
Manual submission, I could only do 1 per sim

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

WillyJakkz wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:23 am
Should have messaged me. I would have helped
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

Andrewu91 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:07 am
WillyJakkz wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:23 am

Should have messaged me. I would have helped

plenty of people would have helped

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: The Orlando Sentinel: Magical Off Season

Post by Flaming Homer »

Still decent talent in the FA pool. Go get em :-)

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

If this is the new Willy, I'm cautiously optimistic for the future of the Orlando Magic. Veteran GM's rave of the glory days back during the Paul George era, of which GM WillyJakkz had a major role in creating. Unfortunately, Orlando has floundered for nearly a decade, as their GM had taken a step back from office duties due to personal-life reasons. Their organization has suffered, posting losing season after losing season with some of the best two-way talents in the league, Kristaps Porzingis and Andrew Wiggins. If their GM is going to be more active, I would welcome a change in the league for Orlando, as their re-emergence is much overdue.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

I'm cautiously optimistic as well. I believe I can take this team to a higher competitive level in the coming seasons. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

Great off season for you. Ball - Morant duo is what i'm most excited about.

The team is shaping up to be a fantastic one, keep it up!
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Weber-Richards-Hifi
IR: Phills
2W: Houstan-Okeke

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

I feel like you guys are still 1 piece away from contention. Another lottery pick would be huge for you guys

Maybe package LaMelo/Unicorn for a superstar? Just an idea off the top of my head

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Best offseason you've had in a long time. I see the sense in waiting to see how KP does in the new engine. Given the FA difficulties this season and having all your own picks, I wouldn't worry about wins this season. Play around with different things, see if you can figure out what works and what doesn't, pick up another piece in the lottery, trade KP at the deadline (or sooner if a good deal comes up), and reassess again when you're a cap team next summer and can take advantage of people willing to help you with FA file submission.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Final Update bump
rh0xxy wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:22 am Great off season for you. Ball - Morant duo is what i'm most excited about.

The team is shaping up to be a fantastic one, keep it up!
Thanks rhoxxy, yeah they could be a dynamic duo!
Jestor wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:22 am Best offseason you've had in a long time. I see the sense in waiting to see how KP does in the new engine. Given the FA difficulties this season and having all your own picks, I wouldn't worry about wins this season. Play around with different things, see if you can figure out what works and what doesn't, pick up another piece in the lottery, trade KP at the deadline (or sooner if a good deal comes up), and reassess again when you're a cap team next summer and can take advantage of people willing to help you with FA file submission.
With Wiggins and Embiid expiring FA sounds like a plan indeed as I have my eye potentially on a Donovan Mitchell who may opt to be an UFA as well as looking to sign a young gun who's coming off their rookie contract!

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

WillyJakkz wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:35 pm Going into the 2029 season ideally would be a great move for Orlando as they also have expiring Pelicans C Mo Bamba on their radar as well.

C Mo Bamba

This will do it for the Orlando Off-Season Edition as we await the transition! Thank you for reading!

Go Magic!
You can only have Mohamed Bamba if you're willing to pay the max contract. I've been planning for the upcoming offseason for at least 2 seasons now, all in preparation to resign Markkanen and Bamba to respectable deals while having some money to extend Reddish. I'll be damned if I lose Bamba to anything other than a max contract. And I don't have to tell you or anyone else that Mohamed Bamba isn't worth 4 Years 82mil.
Stay Me7o Image
LAC 2031-present

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Oh wow I didn't even realize Lauri was expiring. May have to update the OP again lol

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Really happy for you Willy, you finally have a really nice core to build around and I can see the investment paid off. The future is bright in Orlando! Goodluck.
Ball is Life.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Ramcus wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:39 am
WillyJakkz wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:35 pm Going into the 2029 season ideally would be a great move for Orlando as they also have expiring Pelicans C Mo Bamba on their radar as well.

C Mo Bamba

Go Magic!
You can only have Mohamed Bamba if you're willing to pay the max contract. I've been planning for the upcoming offseason for at least 2 seasons now, all in preparation to resign Markkanen and Bamba to respectable deals while having some money to extend Reddish. I'll be damned if I lose Bamba to anything other than a max contract. And I don't have to tell you or anyone else that Mohamed Bamba isn't worth 4 Years 82mil.
Everyone gets a max these days though :/

Bamba 11-10-2 in 28mpg. 15-13-3 per 35mpg

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Andrewu91 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:28 pm Everyone gets a max these days though :/

Bamba 11-10-2 in 28mpg. 15-13-3 per 35mpg
I guess the decision is a lot easier when you're gifted talented players. A slashline of 11/10/2 blocks just isn't worth a max contract either. And why 35 minutes per game, why not 36 minutes per game as commonly used? Go get a life Andrew, I'm getting tired of playing nice with you. Sooner or later I'll start threatening you the way you threaten me.
Stay Me7o Image
LAC 2031-present