League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Phoenix Suns/Sacramento Kings Round 1 Post Analysis

Write updates about your team or the league here.
thecoolestjedi
General Manager

Phoenix Suns/Sacramento Kings Round 1 Post Analysis

Post by thecoolestjedi »

Wanted to give my thoughts on the playoff series with the Sacramento Kings and a bit of insight into what I wanted to do and what actually happened. Was a great series and look forward to many more with the Kings GM.
Analyzing the playoff series

Game 1
Phoenix Suns 85 Sacramento Kings 105
Leaders in Key Categories:
Assists: Jaylen Adams 8
Rebounds: Bol Bol 11

Game 1 of our first round match up with the 1 seed, Sacramento Kings ended in dominant fashion for the defending champs. Thybulle was able to clamp Tatum successfully and the rest of our offense simply fell apart at the sight of it. It wasn't a game I expected to steal, but I adjusted the lineup we would run and how we would go at the Kings. Previously; Derrick White had started alongside Tatum in our back court, but I made the decision to give him the bench with how well Caruso played towards the end of the year and to give Tatum more to do with the ball.

It was here the gears began to move for a possible defense of our homecourt seeing as the road games would probably all end up here. The home crowd makes a world of difference.

Game 2
Phoenix Suns 83 Sacramento Kings 92
Assists: Jaylen Adams 9
Rebounds: Bol Bol 11

Game 2 came and I adjusted some of the defensive match ups here, which may have worked a bit better as we held the Kings to below 100 points. Thats a win in my eyes here, but unfortunately, Tatum is again Unable to score against Thybulle. That switched my focus to trying to do something that got another player involved more and let Tatum back off and with a homestand coming up; the perfect man as in place. Alex Caruso spent a large portion of the year impressing me and even almost being inserted as a starter over Shaquille Harrison before the trade.

I relied on Caruso heavily to lead us in Game 3 and I was rewarded.

Game 3
Sacramento Kings 99 Phoenix Suns 106
Assists: Jaylen Adams 11
Rebounds: Grant Williams 11

What can you even say about this game? As close as you could get all season to us almost blowing home court in the playoffs, but somehow we squeak it out behind Caruso's 38. I saw that Thybulle had rendered Tatum all but useless unless he was somehow drawing fouls, so I wanted to open up the perimeter game and Caruso of course excels in that position. Caruso goes 12-20 and after replacing Porter with Brodziansky, I headed into game 4 a bit more confident despite Sacramento being the better team and having our home crowd really be our 6th man.

Game 4
Sacramento Kings 109 Phoenix Suns 117
Rebounds: Dedric Lawson 9

Assumed that Sacramento took Thybulle off Tatum after we utilized Caruso much better in Game 3, so I assumed we would have something to surprise him with after replacing the offensive output of Caruso with Tatum again and that hunch would prove correct. With nop Thybulle shutting him down; Tatum went 9-20 and 35 points which was enough to squeak out another win at home, bringing the series at 2-2 and having me looking to make sure this series 3-2 for us after Game 5.

Game 5
Phoenix Suns 89 Sacramento Kings 103
Assists: Jaylen Adams 9
Rebounds: Michael Porter 11

Wasn't so good again as I'm assuming Tatum got locked up once again by a defensive match up from Thybulle. Horrible shooting performance from us that puts us down 3-2 now and potentially facing elimination in Game 6 at home. I wanted to count on home court, but knew I'd have to maybe abandon the perimeter offensive approach if we went to 6 and maybe even 7. I was actually relieved to be down 3-2 as it really put less pressure on us to capitalize and really put it on the Kings to end us. Or maybe that was just me trying to cope with the fact we were going to lose in 6.

Game 6
Sacramento Kings 87 Phoenix Suns 98
Rebounds: Dedric Lawson 14

Yeah something about the home court in this game makes me feel really really safe. I made some defensive adjustments that forced us to gather inside and that seems to work as the Kings hate shooting threes and that works for me. Assuming Tatum got taken off again on the no score list by Thybulle and probably because the Kings wanted to stop another Caruso type burst which propelled us to a win in game 3. Really happy with how we played this game, especially holding the defending champs below 90. 3-3 and I feel we have a shot at winning the Game 7 with this out of the box idea I have.

Game 7
Phoenix Suns 92 Sacramento Kings 113
Rebounds: Michael Porter 9

The Kings win and while that is a bitter pill to swallow for us as a team; I am really looking forward to both the off season and making this team that much better. I tried out a plan that included having Tatum playing 36 minutes off the bench in order to really avoid the Thybulle defensive minutes, but I don't think it mattered as our entire team got shut down by the Kings. The champs are defending that crown for a reason, but I think we have a shot at coming back down the line in the Pacific to challenge their hegemony.
Phoenix Suns GM
Season recap: 2030-31: 36-46

"Fall Seven Times, Get Up Eight"

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Re: Phoenix Suns/Sacramento Kings Round 1 Post Analysis

Post by KW »

approved

This team has a future, any team that pushes the Kings and Michael Porter to 7 games deserves a lot of praise. It'll be interesting to see how the team is built around Tatum better

thecoolestjedi
General Manager

Post by thecoolestjedi »

KW wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:18 am approved

This team has a future, any team that pushes the Kings and Michael Porter to 7 games deserves a lot of praise. It'll be interesting to see how the team is built around Tatum better
Yeah I'm hoping this offseason can be a real page turner for us that we don't finish 8th and can do a lot more. Hopefully I do better with this team than with the Browns :)
Phoenix Suns GM

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

It was a great series mate and with Tatum and shooters, you guys are really hard to match up with at times as someone usually gets off. I did move Thybulle off Tatum for that one game scared that Caruso would burn us again but then Tatum got off the leash.

Looking forward to the battles next season if we're still both good teams in the new engine.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

thecoolestjedi
General Manager

Post by thecoolestjedi »

bt wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:26 am It was a great series mate and with Tatum and shooters, you guys are really hard to match up with at times as someone usually gets off. I did move Thybulle off Tatum for that one game scared that Caruso would burn us again but then Tatum got off the leash.

Looking forward to the battles next season if we're still both good teams in the new engine.
Quite the fun series, brother, Hopefully we can keep it up over the next few years. First playoffs for me in the CSL and i was very fun anticipating and changing things here and there to try and counter you.

Hoping to bring the heat this offseason.
Phoenix Suns GM