League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Christ Koumadje - Defensive Analysis

Write updates about your team or the league here.
AlexS
General Manager

Christ Koumadje - Defensive Analysis

Post by AlexS »

Coming into the 2026 CSL Draft, Christ Koumadje was given the nickname “The Unicorn” due to his truly unique talents as a 7-4 265 lb. 18 year old. Scouts drooled over his incredible shot blocking ability, guard like handles, and elite 3 pt shooting and finishing for a big man. Coming off of his 2nd season in the CSL I thought it would be interesting to examine just how well the Unicorn has fared in his 2nd season, and in particular if his defensive talents coming out of Florida State have translated to the CSL.

A quick look at the league leaders shows that CK is tied with All-World Center DeAndre Ayton in blocks per game at 3.0. Great! But I really wanted to examine deeper than that as DDSPB provides more statistics (but still not enough!) to evaluate players. And as we all know there is more to defense than just blocking shots as we all know the tall guy at the local gym who tries to block everything, ends up blocking very little, and is just a terrible defender. Also I wanted to add context to the statistics that the Unicorn was putting up by comparing them to the rest of the CSL bigs. Ie, 0.5 spg is ok (I think?) but how does that compare to other CSL bigs? Average, below average?

So here was my process. I decided to compare only “bigs”, this was fairly straightforward with just a few tweeners that I decided to call bigs. I determined that >1,450 minutes would be the qualifier as this was the total minutes for Timberwolves backup C Christian Wood (who played every game) and equaled ~35% total possible minutes played during the season. This left 88 “qualified bigs”. From there I identified the following statistics that I wished to examine, and then compare CK’s stats with the rest of the qualified bigs : DRB%, STL%, BLK%, Drive STP%, PA/SF, PF/36 (personal fouls), and lastly TS% (I wanted to gather this as kind of a quick way to see guys who have 2-way ability or are just Festus Ezeli on offense). Also - if anyone knows how to export stats from DDSPB let me know - that will make this process alot easier and I can do alot more articles like this!

Looking at each statistic I compared CK to the rest of the league and determined what percentile he ranked in each statistic shown here :

As you can see the “Unicorn” nickname really does hold up and scouts from coming out of college were accurate. CK ranks in the 95th percentile for BLK% and 94th percentile for PA/SF which is incredible for a 19 year old. His ability to block shots and limit baskets around the rim does not come without an above average rate of collecting personal fouls (24th percentile), with this also likely correlated to his putrid 5th percentile Drive STP% rankings (shoutout to Draymond Green for somehow STP 78% of drives while also averaging 6.1 fouls per36). Offensively CK ranks well above average in regards to TS% (80th percentile) as his mix of 3pt shooting and elite finishing lead to an efficient all around scorer. All of these statistics point to CK playing at an all-CSL level defensively, and with room to grow as just a 19 year old in his 2nd season he could become the best defensive C in the league.

After being ~90% done manually copying stats from the game I really wished I had also added to my review : Drives Faced/36 and Shots Faced/36 to add context to my statistics examined, as the # of opportunities a guy gets at defending a shot or drive likely impacts their overall effectiveness (and I think is largely an indicator of defensive strategy used by coaches).

I hope everyone enjoys my analysis! Are there any other “player cards” that people would like to see? Or perhaps a comparison of 2 similar players? Or questions on who’s the best/worst defender? Let me know!

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Re: Christ Koumadje - Defensive Analysis

Post by KW »

Approved. If I did an "Article of the Year", this would be on the short list for sure, great stuff!

I assume the data is there and easy to access now that you've done all that work, I'd be curious to see how Koumadje stacks with with the other elite two-way centers drafted over the last decade. On that short list would be Porzingis, KAT, JJJ, Bagley, Ayton, Bruno

Sharkn20
Senior Vice President

Post by Sharkn20 »

Terrific read!

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Love the article. Really shows how unique Koumadje is as a prospect. Clearly one of the best rim protectors in the league, but with impressively poor foot speed he shouldn't be anywhere near the perimeter. Funnel them all into the paint, and enable the Unicorn to swat them all away!
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Great breakdown, and Cameron Johnson plus two picks (one lotto) should help you to make a push next season.
Ball is Life.

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

All of them would rank under Ayton obviously!
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

Ramcus wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:29 pm Love the article. Really shows how unique Koumadje is as a prospect. Clearly one of the best rim protectors in the league, but with impressively poor foot speed he shouldn't be anywhere near the perimeter. Funnel them all into the paint, and enable the Unicorn to swat them all away!
Thanks! That has been the strategy, or at least attempted strategy anyways! With the D matchup strategy not really working I am lucky that there are so few stretch 5's that would pull him away from the paint naturally.

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

blackice wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:07 pm Great breakdown, and Cameron Johnson plus two picks (one lotto) should help you to make a push next season.
Thanks BI! He is a defensive anchor for sure, and with Cam and Musa I like the directions that the Wolves are headed.

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

KW wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:15 am Approved. If I did an "Article of the Year", this would be on the short list for sure, great stuff!

I assume the data is there and easy to access now that you've done all that work, I'd be curious to see how Koumadje stacks with with the other elite two-way centers drafted over the last decade. On that short list would be Porzingis, KAT, JJJ, Bagley, Ayton, Bruno
Thanks Kyrus! Yes, now that I've got all the date putting together a "player card" is quite easy. I really really hope DDSPB22 allows to export stats, I could easily put together full offensive and defensive player cards.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

AlexS wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:45 am
KW wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:15 am Approved. If I did an "Article of the Year", this would be on the short list for sure, great stuff!

Thanks Kyrus! Yes, now that I've got all the date putting together a "player card" is quite easy. I really really hope DDSPB22 allows to export stats, I could easily put together full offensive and defensive player cards.
The good news is that all the data appears to be output on the HTML in PB22, so it'll be wayyyyyy easier.

Still gotta go team by team, but gone are the days of me taking screenshots and feeding them into an online image->text converter :lol: :lol: :lol:

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

Here's Bruno Fernando, Marvin Bagley, and for comparison Nicolo Melli

Bagley and Bruno are incredibly similar defensively with the more efficient scoring going to Bagley. And to add context :
Bagley : 0.8 DRVF/36 : 15.5 SHTF/36
Bruno : 1.7 DRVF/36 : 12.0 SHTF/36
CK : 3.7 DRVF/36 : 12.9 SHTF/36

Melli profiles as a "no defense" center (or PF if he's been playing there). But is nearly the most efficient shooting big in the CSL.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

I remember 2 seasons ago I had Christ number 1 on the board before the draft and thought there is no way he could land to us at 5. Though I'd take him even with Bruno out there. But then we had Garland, Hunter, 'Spoon off the board and I thought - could we get the Unicorn to Memphis? Alex was taking some time to draft and it was getting late for me here; I was talking to Marcos at the time and said Its either Christ or Culver for me - in that order. So then Marcos made the pick for me and I was very interested to see who we got. Ultimately, it worked out well for both teams.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

While I think Ayton is the best defensive and overall C in the league, there are definitely a bunch of players that are very close to him in terms of defensive impact. Christ, Bruno, Bagley are right there

Also, this is not Bagley on the pick. Can you imagine how the dude dropped off as a player chosen ahead of Luka, JJJ and Trae in real life - now it's the second CSL article where some other dude's pic is used for him :)
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

andrei wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:12 am While I think Ayton is the best defensive and overall C in the league, there are definitely a bunch of players that are very close to him in terms of defensive impact. Christ, Bruno, Bagley are right there

Also, this is not Bagley on the pick. Can you imagine how the dude dropped off as a player chosen ahead of Luka, JJJ and Trae in real life - now it's the second CSL article where some other dude's pic is used for him :)
I can whip up Aytons player card later today! But I agree there is definitely an elite tier of defensive bigs of CK, Ayton, Bruno, Bagley, and Bol with a significant drop off after that. Haha I had no idea that wasn't him, thanks google!

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Love these player cards too, and there are so many different ways you can utilize them. Player comparisons, rankings, team ratings, can't wait to see what you do next.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

Thanks Marcus! I'm having a lot of fun digging through the data, what I once thought would just be a fun analysis of CK will actually turn into a valuable tool for finding FA targets, trade options, etc.

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

Top center in the league, and passive terrible defender for comparison.

Is there any other players that people are interested in seeing?

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

God damn Ayton is a beast lol.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Very good stuff man, as that player card looks very fancy, I dig it. Would love to see more of these. Anyway you can get a card for Robert Williams, haha?
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

hardenwithnod wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:40 pm Very good stuff man, as that player card looks very fancy, I dig it. Would love to see more of these. Anyway you can get a card for Robert Williams, haha?
Thanks Gary! I don't love how they look and don't really have an eye for these sorts of things but I'm glad you like them! I'm happy with how it's able to show the data. More will be coming! Robert Williams, here you go : Image

Efficient scorer, good DREB and TO generator. Foul prone and gives up baskets.