League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

2027-28 Phoenix Suns season recap and roster overview

Write updates about your team or the league here.
thecoolestjedi
General Manager

2027-28 Phoenix Suns season recap and roster overview

Post by thecoolestjedi »

2027-28 End of Season Recap

The Phoenix Suns finish the year at 45-37 in the 2027-28 season of the Champions Sim League.
So lets look at the roster we have at the end of the year and our shot in the playoffs. Wanted a bit more out of us as we played it close at the end of the season, but this roster will take a lot of time to fix up and I feel the playoffs is the perfect place to hedge our bets.

PG Alex Caruso
11.6 PPG/2.5 APG/1.9 RPG/.456 FG%/.929 FT%/.424 3PG%

A good bench player for us most of the season and a emergency starter when it was needed. Been really happy with Caruso on this team; a real rock of our bench and someone I consider key to our efforts in the playoffs especially in the bench battle.

PG Traveon Jackson
3.8 PPG/0.7 APG/0.8 RPG/.421 FG%/.500 FT%/.397 3PT%

Not sold on his ability, garbage time player at best imo.

PG Jayson Tatum
29.4 PPG/2.2 APG/7.8 RPG/.459 FG%/.820 FT%/.372 3PT%

The guy on this team, the trade for him was massive and really worked out really really well for the Nuggets, but I think we can make that tade look good for us, it requires us to really dig in and build something around him since he can single handily control a game by himself and win us a handful of playoff games alone.

SG Justinian Jessup
3.0 PPG/0.8 APG/1.3 RPG/.465 FG%/1.000 FT%/.358 3PT%

A young, shooting guard who I think will really be a key player for us down the line, not as of now, but it should be really pivotal down the line especially coming off the bench.

SG Derrick White
17.6 PPG/7.9 APG/3.6 RPG/.418 FG%/.831 FT%/.368 3PT%

A guy I'm very 50/50 on; great passer and a scorer scorer, but I have Tatum and I don't see White as a secondary option on a contending team in my honest opinion. My guess for him down the line is staying a starting Shooting Guard/Point Guard until such time he can do more.

SF Kevin Porter
9.0 PPG/1.5 APG/4.2 RPG/.434 FG%/.765 FT%/.000 3PT%

A really disappointing player for me because I felt it could really make him a lot better than he is. I don't know, I have hope in Porter becoming more a slashing type player, but maybe he isn't meant for that role? It is hard to see just how I can fit him into the future of this team with Vladmir especially.

SF JaKarr Sampson
3.2 PPG/0.6 APG/2.0 RPG/.414 FG%/.645 FT%/.444 33PT%

Another garbage time player, I don't see myself using Sampson beyond garbage time in a role as a ¾.

SF Vladmir Brodiansky
5.9 PPG/1.0 APG/2.6 RPG/.363 FG%/.808 FT%/.333 3PT%

My future 3 if I wasn't convinced to move Tatum here for next season. Still I have been very impressed with Vladmir in the small sample sizes I have used him in, want to use him a lot more going forward and his performance against the Kings will determine a lot of his future for him.

PF Isaiah Roby
1.0 PPG/0.8 APG/1.3 RPG/.329 FG%/1.000 FT%/.167 3PT%

Roby is a fantastic defender, but not much going on for him on the offensive side of the ball, still I do plan on using his just for his defensive efforts alone. A really fun player to mess around with.

PF Draymond Green
8.8 PPG/5.0 APG/6.1 RPG/.457 FG%/.591 FT%/.477 3PT%

The anchor of our defense and more importantly, the nucleus of this team. I see Draymond as a guy who will stick it out in a Suns uniform; feels as if he has decreased in his offensive ability over the season and my first instinct is to try and figure a way to decrease how much he shoots and increase his defending.

PF Henry Ellenson
10.4 PPG/0.8 APG/6.4 RPG/.455 FG%/.768 FT%/.348 3PT%

My big trade acquisition before I got Tatum; have been less than impressed with Henry, but I feel it just needs to be a change of how we use him that gets him to become what I saw of him in Washington that made me trade a first for him.

C Dedric Lawson
9.5 PPG/1.4 APG/8.8 RPG/.498 FG%/.696 FT%/.000 3PT%

Our inside anchor and hopefully one I can bring back for this role into the future. A huge fan of Lawson and what he brings to the froncourt.

C Zhou Qi
4.3 PPG/0.8 APG/4.5 RPG/.484 FG%/.785 FT%/.000 3PT%

A good defender that I feel I have let down in my time here. Look to see him gain a increased role as time goes on and really test what I can do with him.

C Giorgui Dieng
1.6 PPG/0.2 APG/1.5 RPG/.526 FG%/.700 FT%/.000 3PT%

My other garbage time player, don't expect to see much out of him.

Now for our Kings matchup.....
We played the Sacramento Kings four times in the regular season. Of those four times, we had 2 games at home and 1 away from home. Of those four, 3were played on with the pre-Tatum Suns and two with the Tatum Suns. The Pre-Tatum Suns won a home game 96-90 with no Isaiah Taylor and poor shooting. The second time it was a thumping at home, 101-93 as we shot poorly and Porter killed us. Then we went to Sacramento and lost 99-91 and it was more contained by their star scorer, Porter. Then we played them away from home again with Tatum and lost 102-90 as Porter killed us and White led the scoring. All 4 were not crazy blowouts but 6-12 point lead differentials. I am quite interested in seeing how we do in this playoff setting with a few tweaks.
Phoenix Suns GM
Season recap: 2030-31: 36-46

"Fall Seven Times, Get Up Eight"

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Re: 2027-28 Phoenix Suns season recap and roster overview

Post by KW »

Approved

--

This team is NOT a typical 8 seed. Feels like the Suns underperformed in the back half of this season, but you're never out of it with Tatum + defense + shooters. Tatum vs Porter should be fun.

thecoolestjedi
General Manager

Post by thecoolestjedi »

KW wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:23 am Approved

--

This team is NOT a typical 8 seed. Feels like the Suns underperformed in the back half of this season, but you're never out of it with Tatum + defense + shooters. Tatum vs Porter should be fun.
Think that is my biggest advantage is that the makeup of the team is that of a higher seed team, just got to wiggle my way into getting the max potential out of it against the Kings.
Phoenix Suns GM

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

Certainly a lot of talent on this time, but it's also a much different team than in years past. Playing the Kings in Round 1 is not a fun time. Best of luck
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This team is still extremely talented, but it will need time for you to figure out the optimized lineup, and how to let Tatum take over on offense while others handle the defense.
Big changes are coming in D.C.

thecoolestjedi
General Manager

Post by thecoolestjedi »

cb4raptorscb4 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:19 pm Certainly a lot of talent on this time, but it's also a much different team than in years past. Playing the Kings in Round 1 is not a fun time. Best of luck
Gonna definitely be a way different Suns team than that of the past but with that comes alot more fun. Wish we ended with a better seed but can’t cry over spilled milk, we are gonna give the Kings our best shot.
This team is still extremely talented, but it will need time for you to figure out the optimized lineup, and how to let Tatum take over on offense while others handle the defense.
For sure, lots of talent around here thanks to the great work of the GM before me. And it makes for some fun lineup adjustments like Utilizing Caruso as a starter instead of a bench guy for the playoffs
Phoenix Suns GM

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

The Ingles trade wound up working out for you. he's been busy tanking the Rockets any opportunity he gets!

thecoolestjedi
General Manager

Post by thecoolestjedi »

KW wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:25 pm The Ingles trade wound up working out for you. he's been busy tanking the Rockets any opportunity he gets!
Hehehe. Totally planned. All part of my calculations.
Phoenix Suns GM

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

As mentioned before, I like how you traded for Tatum and build the team around a player you want to have at your core. Short term I thought that will fire back in this playoffs but here you are, taking the juggernaut Kings to game 7!
Well done, enjoy to build up YOUR Suns team.

thecoolestjedi
General Manager

Post by thecoolestjedi »

Flaming Homer wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:06 pm As mentioned before, I like how you traded for Tatum and build the team around a player you want to have at your core. Short term I thought that will fire back in this playoffs but here you are, taking the juggernaut Kings to game 7!
Well done, enjoy to build up YOUR Suns team.
*Takes a bow*

I couldn't go without giving credit to the GM before me here with the Suns, he gifted me with a fantastic core of guys to play with and I would be nowhere without his tremendous abilities before me. Also can't hurt that 19 loves the home court lol. I will say that I felt we are a better team than a 8th seed and feel like I ignored making some key changes in the final month of the season that would've had us in a better seeding position, but can't complain too much.

I think I really learned on the fly how important even a simple rotation change can be, so the Kings really have forced me to do that and as the trade targets mentioned, I feel we can still move some pieces to make this team even better. I think I'm going to enjoy the more me roster building this offseason. Hopefully the praise works and we steal game 7 :)
Phoenix Suns GM

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Hell of a first season mate and despite the first round exit, hell of a first round. I was really hoping what worked at home for us in the earlier games worked in game 7 as well as you guys were a real handful to get by. We held the efficiency in check but couldn't keep your outside game or free throw attempts down as with Tatum, the inside/outside game is hard to cover.

You're built well going forward and I imagine you have a plan in your head with how you want it to play out. Tatum is a great piece to have and getting complementary players around him will be key (you already have some obviously).

Good luck going forward and look forward to seeing you in the Pacific again next season.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

thecoolestjedi
General Manager

Post by thecoolestjedi »

bt wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:28 am Hell of a first season mate and despite the first round exit, hell of a first round. I was really hoping what worked at home for us in the earlier games worked in game 7 as well as you guys were a real handful to get by. We held the efficiency in check but couldn't keep your outside game or free throw attempts down as with Tatum, the inside/outside game is hard to cover.

You're built well going forward and I imagine you have a plan in your head with how you want it to play out. Tatum is a great piece to have and getting complementary players around him will be key (you already have some obviously).

Good luck going forward and look forward to seeing you in the Pacific again next season.
1st time in the CSL playoffs and got a rush even when playing the defending champs. Look forward to our battles in the future, hopefully we don't stay around those lower seeded parts. Loved every minute of the playoff series, brother.
Phoenix Suns GM

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Heck of a first playoff run. Took the defending champs to the brink. Nice job, man

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Yup, as Doug said you got your first taste of post season play and should prove to be a force in the West for years to come.
Ball is Life.

thecoolestjedi
General Manager

Post by thecoolestjedi »

GreenBear wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:01 am Heck of a first playoff run. Took the defending champs to the brink. Nice job, man
Means a lot coming from you, Doug. Hopefully I can get the Suns back to those CSL finals they are use to.
Phoenix Suns GM

thecoolestjedi
General Manager

Post by thecoolestjedi »

blackice wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:42 am Yup, as Doug said you got your first taste of post season play and should prove to be a force in the West for years to come.
Yeah already talking about some deals in the works and hope to bring a much improved team here next year. Should be really fun
Phoenix Suns GM