League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Timberwolves 2026/2027 Review : Progress

Write updates about your team or the league here.
AlexS
General Manager

Timberwolves 2026/2027 Review : Progress

Post by AlexS »

The 2026/2027 CSL season saw the TImberwolves reach the playoffs for the first time under GM AlexS and represented another step in the right direction for a franchise that has floundered for years. 41 wins was a significant improvement from previous season win totals of : 25, 26, and 18 leading to a #7 seed (and quick exit) in the playoffs. The 2026/2027 Timberwolves saw an increase in roster turnover from previous seasons from a mix of trades, FA and the draft. After last season I reviewed the Timberwolves statistics in several categories, with the improved record I thought it would be fun to review and compare last season to this year. (Excuse the formatting)

2025/2026 Record : 25-57
Tempo : 98.6 (17th)
Wolves Opponents
PPG : 96.0 (30th) 101.3 (14th)
FG% : .431 (29th) .456 (14th)
3PM : 13.0 (2nd) 5.5 (1st)
FTA : 14.3 (30th) 22.4 (17th)
O/DEFF : 94.7 (26th) 99.9 (16th)
O/DEFG% : 43.8 (29th) 45.9 (14th)
O/DTO% : 16.5 (28th) 13.3 (18th)
O/DR% : 23.6 (25th) 71.5 (26th)
O/DFTRATE : 17.1 (30th) 25.9 (17th)

2026/2027 Record : 41-41
Tempo : 97.5 (15th)
Wolves Opponents
PPG : 102.5 (T-10th) 102.0 (21st)
FG% : .469 (7th) .455 (T-18th)
3PM : 8.7 (11th) 8.0 (T-17th)
FTA : 20.8 (14th) 21.7 (15th)
O/DEFF : 99.9 (T-11th) 99.4 (18th)
O/DEFG% : 47.4 (T-6th) 45.9 (T-18th)
O/DTO% : 12.9 (12th) 13.0 (20th)
O/DR% : 24.5 (24th) 71.0 (T-28th)
O/DFTRATE : 24.6 (T-14th) 25.3 (13th)

I am fairly happy with the improvements that this franchise made from the previous season. A change of playstyle from a run and gun 3pt heavy offense to a grit and grind focus (with only a slightly lower pace - it also seems that the league as a whole slowed down the pace this season) centered on big man due Jontay Porter and Christ Koumadje lead to an improvement from 26th to T-11th in offensive efficiency and from 29th to T-6th in OEFG%. Less 3’s and more shots near the rim also lead to an increase in FTrate, an area this front office really wanted to improve last offseason. Offensively this was a step in the right direction, as head coach Chris Duhon was able to strike a good balance of inside out basketball that has lots of fluidity of a starting 5 that can all shoot the 3 and stretch the floor.

Defensively the Timberwolves took a slight step backwards this season. Coach Duhon had the Timberwolves play an attacking defensive scheme with the hope of funnelling drives to a swat blocking unicorn. In theory, rangy wing defenders in Cam Johnson, Frank Jackson, and Darius Bazley could push opponents off the 3pt line and pester opponents as they drove to the paint. However things didn’t really shake out that way - as our opponents made more 3pt shots from the previous season and gave up a higher FTrate. Growing pains are to be expected with such a young roster (average age of starters was 21) and Coach Duhon will likely give this scheme another ½ season to play out prior to making changes. One thing is abundantly clear comparing the Timberwolves from the past 2 seasons, significant improvements still need to be made rebounding the basketball. The Timberwolves remain one of the worst teams in the league grabbing offensive boards limiting extra possessions of our opponents. There is room for growth in the current core, but it’s clear this will have to be an even greater emphasis going forwards.

Things I like :

Christ Koumadje - Jontay Porter front court. I just love how these 2 guy’s games complement each other perfectly, and allow the Timberwolves to have 5 shooters in their starting lineup.

Those sweet, sweet potential boosts. Late 1st rd picks Justin James and Norel Pelle and late 2nd rd pick Emmanuel Terry all received potential boosts this season. It’s insanely lucky for the Timberwolves, and really pushed the ceilings of Pelle/James significantly as both will be efficient enough scorers to justify the extra touches/shots.

Cam Johnson’s year 3. Less volume, improved shooting, improved playmaking.

Things I don’t like :

Darius Bazley’s touches/36 min did not improve, at 31.4 per36 this season. Coach Duhon will need to do a much better job staggering his lineups in order to get more shot attempts. Limiting time with ball-hog NAW and Kyrie Irving leaving in FA will help.

Kyrie Irving. He was signed and was expected to be showcased throughout the season on a struggling Wolves team and then flipped mid-season. Surprisingly the Wolves were in playoff contention throughout the season and held on to him. The fit just never seemed to work for Kyrie with this current roster and he will not be brought back next season.

Playing the Suns in the playoffs. The Suns outclassed the young Wolves that included wins of 28, 14, and 14 which really shows how far this team will have to grow to contend with the upper echelon of the Western Conference.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Re: Timberwolves 2026/2027 Review : Progress

Post by Stockton12 »

the wolves did better then most of us thought ..good job building the team

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Much improved season and still such a young core so great work there Alex.

Kind of has a Bucks vibe to it where you guys are really building slowly but I really like the guys you have together and once they all hit that 3-4 year mark, you guys should be markedly improved.

You'll have a ton of cap space this off season though so dependent on how that goes, the Wolves could really rocket up the standings with a successful free agency.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Another team where I think the rebuild is a bit ahead of schedule. I did not have the Wolves on my radar before this season.
Huge fan of Cam and Alex is doing an awesome job to bring the young guys around.

With 2 more 1st round picks this year I'm sure the team will get better in depth and even more balanced.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Excellent season and a team on the rise for sure. Last draft brought in some keepers even in 2nd round. I really like the frontcourt pairing you have and you were heavily criticised for that James trade but it worked out quite well.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Good work, wonderful. This team can be really dangerous with 1-2 more great pieces and some development.

Making postseason that early into the rebuild was really nice!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Yeah I want echo what bt said about the Bucks. I like that you're building patiently. There's a very solid team here already and may be a couple pieces from something pretty spooky

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Yeah this definitely has a Bucks feel to it. Impressive season that surprised a few people.

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

I think I'm more down on this team than others. I feel like although you have a good foundation, you still lack a top 15 talent in the league, and that limits the ceiling you've put since you pushed the rebuild ahead with a near-playoff year. Cam Johnson is elite, but not a true superstar. Closer to a secondary star. Koumadje looks the part on the box score, but I feel that his potentials don't scream "alpha-dog" either. Bazley and Porter don't change franchises either. That's why I feel like, if your foundation grows and hits their potentials, your team is solid 2nd-Round Playoff team. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but but just how I see things.

That being said, the offense is looking fantastic right now, and your additions as a whole have impressed me. Despite my personal criticisms, this team has definitely exceeded my expectations.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

Stockton12 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:59 am the wolves did better then most of us thought ..good job building the team
Thanks! Back at you with the Lakers, great season!

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

bt wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:31 am Much improved season and still such a young core so great work there Alex.

Kind of has a Bucks vibe to it where you guys are really building slowly but I really like the guys you have together and once they all hit that 3-4 year mark, you guys should be markedly improved.

You'll have a ton of cap space this off season though so dependent on how that goes, the Wolves could really rocket up the standings with a successful free agency.
Thank you, if things can continue to build like the Bucks, I'll be happy. Congrats to the Kings on a fantastic season!

Yes, lots of cap space - hopefully I can land a difference maker or 2!

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

Flaming Homer wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:02 pm Another team where I think the rebuild is a bit ahead of schedule. I did not have the Wolves on my radar before this season.
Huge fan of Cam and Alex is doing an awesome job to bring the young guys around.

With 2 more 1st round picks this year I'm sure the team will get better in depth and even more balanced.
This team outplayed my expectations too - was not anticipating a playoff run either. But the experience will hopefully be great for the kids.

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

andrei wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:18 pm Excellent season and a team on the rise for sure. Last draft brought in some keepers even in 2nd round. I really like the frontcourt pairing you have and you were heavily criticised for that James trade but it worked out quite well.
Thank you Andrei! James getting that boost was huge - hopefully he'll be able to keep up with Culver!

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

Marcos_Beck wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:10 am Good work, wonderful. This team can be really dangerous with 1-2 more great pieces and some development.

Making postseason that early into the rebuild was really nice!
Thank you Marcos - I think the next step of adding another star might be the most difficult part of this rebuild.

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

Ramcus wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:01 am I think I'm more down on this team than others. I feel like although you have a good foundation, you still lack a top 15 talent in the league, and that limits the ceiling you've put since you pushed the rebuild ahead with a near-playoff year. Cam Johnson is elite, but not a true superstar. Closer to a secondary star. Koumadje looks the part on the box score, but I feel that his potentials don't scream "alpha-dog" either. Bazley and Porter don't change franchises either. That's why I feel like, if your foundation grows and hits their potentials, your team is solid 2nd-Round Playoff team. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but but just how I see things.

That being said, the offense is looking fantastic right now, and your additions as a whole have impressed me. Despite my personal criticisms, this team has definitely exceeded my expectations.
I don't disagree with anything you've said. But as a consolation I'm excited about a playoff berth a year ahead of schedule with heavy minutes for the youngsters (being the best of the lousiest in the WC helped!). I'm hoping that although the core is lacking a superstar, maybe they will all be really solid and could be better than the sum of their parts.

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

I do really like what you are doing with this team. And you had a great draft, too. This team is slowly becoming a top team in the CSL, taking a step forward each season.
ImageImageImageImageImage