League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Nuggets Review: A Season in Transition

Write updates about your team or the league here.
OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Nuggets Review: A Season in Transition

Post by OneNole »

The Denver Nuggets season has concluded with mixed results. After taking over from CSL extraordinaire Myles, incoming GM OneNole had two goals in mind. To win 50 games and make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. While the Nuggets did not achieve neither, the feel failing to win 50 games was in large part to no ones fault but their own as they spent a large part of the 2nd half of the season testing.

In their exit press conference, the local media asked the Nuggets these following questions:

1. What positives do you take from this season?
I feel like there are a lot of positives to take. The talent level has increased immensely. The Nuggets have won more games than they have in over 10 years. They added another young excellent player to pair next to Tatum, and have the ability to select an excellent player in the lottery of this draft. All while still winning their division.

Was trading Smart a mistake?
Not at all. We were not going to be a contender with him. While we obviously think he would have been a difference maker in our first round loss, unless Smart started posting career numbers, there would have been no chance that we would have gotten by Porter in the following round.

What negatives do you take from this season?
I am a bit disappointed in our overall inconsistency. We were a team that would go on a lot of runs throughout the year. We would win a lot of games and then lose a lot of games. Despite a team full of excellent defenders, our inability to defend Isaiah Cousins was also troubling. Similar to what we see now with Michael Porter, us unable to even get him into an average night from the field was a bit alarming.

Who will be back?
I think the two safest players to return is definitely Michael Young and Davis Bertans. Outside of those two its fair game. We are looking for whats in the best interest of the Nuggets for the long term. We will keep next season in mind, but if we expect this team to become a contender, short term plays will not be what gets us there.

Does that mean Jayson Tatum will be traded?
If I was a betting man, I would be betting on the fact that Tatum will be in another jersey next season. There is nothing imminent but we have a couple of ongoing discussions that take time. Like our trade with Smart, its a trade we will not rush into, and a deal that we will have to be 100% confident in prior to pulling any trigger.

Who will the Nuggets select with their lottery pick?
As usual, we will select the BPA. While we would love to find a PG to pair with Tatum (if he returns) and Young, and there are a couple we are intrigued with. At the end of the day, we are in asset collecting mode, and just want the best player available which could help open future trades.

Future Outlook?
I think it is rising. I think with or without Tatum, I will always believe we will be the favorite to win the division. We will likely have close to 30 million in cap space the following season, and should be a far more appealing franchise. The West is also down right now, this would be the time to set the foundation to secure our place at the top before the tide returns with the West reigning supreme again.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: Nuggets Review: A Season in Transition

Post by Flaming Homer »

It was an entertaining season in Denver. Started during free agency and the signing of some good vets and got never boring during the season. Maybe the most active team trade wise.
Not sure if the game recognizes that but in RL a bit up and down would be to expected.

But you got some good assets on board, have a plan with cap in place so Denver should be just fine. The biggest question to me is indeed: will Tatum get shipped.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I think you always knew it was about being a pretty good team but that year when all the contracts expire was in your view.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Wow, Tatum in discussions is a shocker. Is it possible to get fair value for a player like that? He is probably in that Tier 1 with Porter, Luka, Zion, AD etc. I'm sure none of them are on the table.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

andrei wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:44 pm Wow, Tatum in discussions is a shocker. Is it possible to get fair value for a player like that? He is probably in that Tier 1 with Porter, Luka, Zion, AD etc. I'm sure none of them are on the table.
Image he would look really good in Memphis
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

It’s safe to say Brett won’t deal Tatum unless for a superb offer, so I’m interested in seeing what he can get for him.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Another team that depends heavily on one player. This sometimes works great as the Kings just did with Porter and other times it doesn't. The fact that the star player is so much younger than the rest of the team provides flexibility, as you can choose whether to compete now or to rebuild keeping Tatum, who will still be in his prime when the young players are ready to contribute.
ImageImageImageImageImage

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Tatum has MVP potential and adding some solid youth to surround him with seems to be good long term planning but there will definitely be growing pains as this is a younger team now as opposed to a win now roster which you kind of had last season.
Ball is Life.