League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

The Atlanta Hawks 2027 Season Review

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Flaming Homer
Commissioner

The Atlanta Hawks 2027 Season Review

Post by Flaming Homer »

A playoff out in round 1 is not what we were shooting for at the begin of the season. But after this up and down season, I feel we had at least a decent performance against the defending champs from Miami. Maybe even a bit closer than our loss last year.

But let’s begin at the start of the season. I decided to roll it back with the team which made it to the conference finals last year, knowing that father time is nagging on my core player. Still it seemed we could have an outside chance to be the 3rd team in the East after the Heat and Pistons and don’t lose to much to them.

With our stressed cap situation, we were not able to do much. A switch of Zach Collins for Colin Sexton and Kawhi Leonard for Jordan Clarkson during last off-season were supposed to beef up our weak backcourt. Both players performed as I was hoping for, especially Clarkson was just great as a 6th man.

But very early during the 27 season it was obvious to me, that we lost more than a little bit to the top teams. And even worse, Brooklyn, Milwaukee and New York were progressing faster than I anticipated.

Our easy schedule to begin of the season did hide it for a bit as we were able to win games against lower competition but every time we faced a real contender, you could see our struggles.
This was going on for a while and we were able to position us in a comfortable playoff position but with low hope to challenge the top dogs.

Which lead in the end to the decision to roll the dice and try to trade for Marcus Smart. We did inquire briefly during last off-season but Portland didn’t like any of our player, so this talk went silent quick.

Discussions with Chicago at the beginning the season went a bit longer but he was ultimately traded to Denver. Around the deadline he was available again and finally after loooong talks with Brett, we shipped out quite some player to acquire the score first guard and hoped it would change the dynamic of the team.

Long story short. It didn’t. We still won against the teams we had too (looking at the talent level) but could not win against the top 4 teams in the East. The duo AD and Smart had problems to work together and it took me a while to figure out better lineups and change Smarts preferences a bit.

Just before the Smart trade we traded away Colin Sexton in a move I think will benefit us in the future. But in hindsight it would have maybe been better to keep him for this year’s playoff run. Who knows?

In round 1 of the playoffs we were not too thrilled to get the reigning champs, competing with them with a weaker Hawks team than last year. But I have to say, I was pleased with the way we played the series. Not happy, of course, because we lost. But I still like the team and think our depleted depth was a big reason we struggled into the post season.
All this nagging and untimely injuries during the season and playoffs hurt as a lot because low talent player had to jump in in were clearly not ready.

That leaves me again with two different directions to go.

We can follow the original plan and roll out the more or less same core again. Try to use the off-season to make some tweaks and get some better role player for the bench.
… Or we can skip one season and go to our long overdue rebuild.
It will all depends what options the trade market offers. Should be fun to figure out all options and go from there. Everything is on the table!

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Re: The Atlanta Hawks 2027 Season Review

Post by hardenwithnod »

I think this team can have one more go, as the Smart and AD duo is still going to be lethal. However, it's not going to be easy surrounding with the proper pieces to compete with the top dogs. It will be interesting to see if you blow it up this offseason.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

This team got the most out of their vets and just got a tough matchup in the 1st round but I love Smart/AD and the rest of the roster is sound (particularly defensively). This is certainly a team to watch moving forward.
Ball is Life.

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Really curious where this team is headed next season. I agree with you, depending on how the trade market looks you could either run it back or sell the team and rebuild. Smart and Davis can land fantastic pieces to start a rebuild, or you guys can retool around your big 2.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Still a top team in the league and very dangerous even with those aging vets. AD and Smart are two of the best players to ever play in the CSL (with AD potentially the best ever so far) and with you not owning your 1st round pick next year, I expect you to retool around those two and give it one more try.

Looking forward to seeing what this roster looks like on opening day of next year.

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

I think it was a very good season. 52 wins in the East is no easy task. And a seven-game series can go in many different directions. In my opinion the big pieces are in place and it's the surrounding cast which needs improvement. Some of those additional pieces can be found later in the draft and free agency.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Unless you get your own pick back, there's no sense in starting the rebuild now. Especially since Smart's value/return has gone down with each successive trade. I'd retain the duo and run it back another season. Then revisit it next year.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

get your pick back and rebuild while there is value for smart and ad

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

It all depends on what your pick might cost you. There is a lot of talent left in your team, but not much trade value honestly. At least the leverage is all yours since you can easily get to the playoffs and me your pick really meh if you want to, so maybe a solid enough offer is better for the team in possession of the pick than holding on to receive a mid 20s first.

AD and Smart are fantastic. I love Porter and Anderson. Drummond is still a competent starter, and Oladipo should boost the bench for at least one more season before completely disappearing. Good use of your first + solid veteran bench guys should provide your bench with much needed help. There’s one more year to try before breaking it up, but of course, a good offer can change everything in the CSL
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

When you go 7 games with the defending champs, it's a very good team. Just unfortunate that the east is so strong and it occurs in the 1st round.

Definitely enough talent for one more go around if you decide to go that way.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Approved