League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

CSL 2026-2027 Best and Worst Lineups

Write updates about your team or the league here.
AlexS
General Manager

CSL 2026-2027 Best and Worst Lineups

Post by AlexS »

Inspired by the fantastic analytical articles written by mgtr81, I set out to find the CSL’s best and worst lineups. A 150 MP minimum was used as a cutoff for lineup combinations. This was an arbitrary # selected by me, but nearly every team had at least 1 lineup combination with that much time played together - and many teams had multiples. This amount of time seemed like an appropriate measure to separate actual lineup trends from SSS. Lineups were sorted using their +/- PER36 rating. My hope when conducting this research was to see what the best (and worst) lineups in the league had in common. Were well balanced lineups or star lead lineups with a supporting cast best (or worst)? Listed with commentary are the top 6 and bottom 5 lineups of the CSL.

Top Lineups

1. Detroit +31.8
Ntilikina - Gates - Parker - SJJ - Williams

2. Detroit +20.0
Ntilikina - Whitehead - Gates - SJJ - Williams

This is really no surprise to see the top team in the league (by some margin) having the top 2 lineups in the league. Detroit outscores their opponent by ~10 points/game, and these 2 lineups really beat up on their opposition. What is really interesting is that even without MVP candidate Jabari Parker and replacing him with Isiah Whitehead, Detroit boasts the best lineup combination in the league.

3. Denver +19.5
Brunson - Crowder - Tatum - Gordon - Drummond

Please note that this lineup combination may be inaccurate - this lineup has played 74 games together even though Brunson only played 27 games (and Drummond 49) with the team prior to being traded (WTF DDSPB?). If this is accurate, this comes somewhat as a surprise to me. But I think demonstrates great lineup construction and good role players around a true superstar in Tatum.

4. Sacramento +17.9
Adams - Thybulle - Porter - Williams - Bol

This lineup really does it all. The superstar scorer, and possible league MVP in Porter, the passing from Adams, the “do-shit” factor of Thybulle, and tough interior DEF and rebounding from Williams and Bol. An interesting note is that this same lineup except with Franks at SF and Porter at PF is only +3.0 PER36.

5. Charlotte +15.3
Dunn - Young - Korkmaz - Green - McCoy

This is my first big surprise as it has been a largely disappointing season so far for Charlotte. And again, take this lineup with a grain of salt as DDSPB thinks that Green has played 73 games with Charlotte this season. I think this lineup shows just how good Young - Dunn - Korkmaz can be together. Surrounding those 3 with quality players will have to be the goal for CHA going forwards - Smailagic and Brantley are a good start.

6. Dallas +14.6
Doncic - Dellavedova - Hunter - Allen - Siakam

This is the 1st lineup that I think can be categorized as 1 superstar surrounded by 4 role players. And it really works! Doncic is allowed to spearhead the offense and be a USG% monster (39.1% for the season) with defense, rebound, and shooting around him. I think the pair of Doncic - Hunter looks really good as their net +/- are 25.4 and 24.6 respectively. Finding another star and building more depth is the next step for Dallas.

Worst Lineups

1,3,4 : OKC -16.9, -9.9, -8.7
Ponds - Weatherspoon - Huerter - Giles - Lual-Acuil
Howard - Weatherspoon - Huerter - Clarke - Bitadze
Howard - Booth - Barrett - Knox - Davis

It’s been a long season in OKC. On average they are being outscored by ~9 points/game and are an extremely young team just at the start of their rebuild. A lack of PG play and playmaking are likely their largest deficiencies on the roster. The positives? RJ Barrett appears to have a strong positive impact when he is on the floor. Landing a stud in the next draft will go a long way for this team.

2. Dallas -11.1
Arcidiacono - Dellavadova - Kulboka - Allen - Siakam

As I teased earlier, the Doncic - Hunter pairing is really good. With those 2 replaced in the same lineup, Dallas is ~25 points worse PER36!! I think this lineup is largely worse due to missing the otherworldly talents of Doncic, but Hunter’s impact can’t be understated ( Arcidiacono - Dellavadova - Hunter - Allen - Siakam is a -5 PER36)

5. SAS -8.6
Graham - Mudiay - Simons - Harrell - McGary

San Antonio has the worst record in the league, and are being outscored by ~13 points/game. So I guess this isn’t their worst lineup? McGary has struggled since coming over with a -4.5 NET rating, with the duo of Simons and Graham having a positive NET rating relative to their teammates. The struggles with this lineup boils down to poor shooting from all players on the court.

Honorable Mentions

Miami +14.2
Smith - Bird - Kuzma - Simmons - Bradley

Utah +13.8
Mitchell - Brooks - Hamilton - Wilson - Embiid

Houston +13.6
Monk - Graham - Graham - Winslow - KAT

NYK +13.5
DePaula - Ferguson - Crabbe - JJJ - Zion

What’s everyone's thoughts? Are there any trends that you can pick out, or any strategies that seem to work/don’t work in constructing lineup combinations?
Last edited by AlexS on Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Re: CSL 2026-2027 Best and Worst Lineups

Post by KW »

I'm honestly surprised we had any lineup in here. We've been so exceptionally mediocre except for the last ~15 games or so.

Monk/Devonte'/Treveon/Winslow/Towns is probably the most balanced lineup we could possibly create at any point this season though. Three defenders, 5 offensive players with completely different skillsets. One 3 point bomber, one slasher and facilitator, one 3&D guy, a point forward who doesn't shoot much, and a post beast. While we're a better team now, I miss Devonte's ability to get to the rim. It's something we don't have now.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Great idea.
I was stumbling over this ridiculous lineup stat of the Pistons earlier this season. Tough to beat that in a playoff series. Sacramento looks awesome too, didn't know that.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

I'm so happy we did not make an appearance on the worst lineups list :)
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Hmmm
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Thanks for the compliment. Good idea for the article and nice job researching this. I think the "points" column in the lineup tracking gives a better indication than PER, as the latter does not take defense much into account: the old debate between producing stats and winning games.
ImageImageImageImageImage

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

I am glad we didn't make it on the worst lineups list, lol.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

This is awesome - thanks for sharing!

I should probably look at the stats in this game closer since I had no idea that lineup was performing that well.

Also pretty impressive that TJ has secured 3 of the 4 worst lineups in the league.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Great stuff mate and this has actually made me really look at the last line you mentioned. I didn't realised one switch had such a big difference for us although I have always liked Porter as a big SF.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Thinking about this glitch in the Denver lineup.
Did Wolverine just take the individual +/- and added it up for the lineup tool? And then just ignored that player get traded here and there and just keep adding the same lineup?

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

andrei wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:59 am I'm so happy we did not make an appearance on the worst lineups list :)
Me too!!

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

Flaming Homer wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:47 am Great idea.
I was stumbling over this ridiculous lineup stat of the Pistons earlier this season. Tough to beat that in a playoff series. Sacramento looks awesome too, didn't know that.
Those lineups are so so good. I think their just really well rounded lineups, the sum is better that than (really good) parts.

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

mgtr81 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:57 pm Thanks for the compliment. Good idea for the article and nice job researching this. I think the "points" column in the lineup tracking gives a better indication than PER, as the latter does not take defense much into account: the old debate between producing stats and winning games.
Thanks! I should have clarified but the "PER36" (how DDSPB lists it as) is just the points/36 minutes. I think anyways. Looking at lineups that have had ~36 minutes together it looks right, but you never know with this game.

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

emplep7 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:10 pm This is awesome - thanks for sharing!

I should probably look at the stats in this game closer since I had no idea that lineup was performing that well.

Also pretty impressive that TJ has secured 3 of the 4 worst lineups in the league.
You're welcome! Lol it is impressive - I wonder if just 1 or 2 players could turn that team around.

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

bt wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:39 pm Great stuff mate and this has actually made me really look at the last line you mentioned. I didn't realised one switch had such a big difference for us although I have always liked Porter as a big SF.
Thanks bt! It was really interesting when I saw that too. It looks like Porter SF - Franks PF is a +13.4. Porter is just an awesome player and seems to really beat up on smaller SFs.

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

Awesome stuff here Alex

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

Dylan wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:54 pm Awesome stuff here Alex
Thanks Dylan!

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

emplep7 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:10 pm This is awesome - thanks for sharing!

who is tj? is he alive?

im glad i didnt make it on the worst list

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

That SacTown lineup is impressive. All positions can rebound and play within each other.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Ramcus wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:43 pm That SacTown lineup is impressive. All positions can rebound and play within each other.
Agreed, this team will be a nightmare in the coming years