League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Pacers Push for Playoffs, Add Jae Crowder

Write updates about your team or the league here.
TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Pacers Push for Playoffs, Add Jae Crowder

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

At 11-7, the Indiana Pacers had to be feeling good about this season's start. After all, they were coming off a 37-45 season and being projected by Silological to finish 13th in the East. Looking to capitalize on the hot start, the Pacers hit the trade market and made their move, acquiring 8-year veteran Jae Crowder from the Denver Nuggets.

Crowder comes to Indiana along with 22-year old PG De'Anthony Melton, The Pacers also picked up Denver's 2028 1st round pick. In return, the Nuggets received 27-year olds Fred VanVleet and Dejounte Murray, along with a 2027 Indiana 1st and 2028 Sacramento 1st.

The Pacers are Crowder's 9th CSL team. Is that a good thing?

While Murray struggled to crack the rotation in Indiana, VanVleet has been a regular rotation player for 2.5 seasons. Most notable was his 2025 campaign, when he started 47 games, shot 46% from 3, and put up 8.7 ppg. Always a low-volume player, VanVleet played a key role in a system that allowed Ojeleye and Patton to dominate the ball and leave FVV to hit the open 3. He will be remembered fondly by Pacer faithful.

VanVleet played well in his 3 seasons in Indiana. Will they regret shipping him out?

Crowder, at 6-6, 195 lbs, will add some depth on the Indiana wing, where he will play alongside Briante Weber, Rawle Alkins, and Deng Adel. Crowder will also be utilized as a replacement for Semi Ojeleye in small-ball rotations.

Most notably, Crowder pairs well with Weber: 84/82 DEF and 72/78 STL ratings mean that the two players should anchor a stifling perimeter defense. Currently, the Pacers are 10th in opposing ppg, but only 28th in steals per game. Adding Crowder to the mix (and Melton's 77/65 DEF/STL) should help Pacers Coach Mario McCuthison up the press and take opposing offense's out of their comfort zone.

One thing to note is that Crowder's new role will likely mean a decrease in floor time for the veteran. Aside from his 2025 season in Phoenix (and his rookie season), Crowder has averaged 29+ mpg in every season. In Indiana, he'll have to compete with Ojeleye (32), Weber (28), Alkins (23), and Adel (12) for minutes. And with Weber off to a red-hot start, expect Crowder to work hard just to keep his minutes north of 20.

ImageDeng Adel has played well at backup SF. What happens now?

Not for the first time, the Indiana Pacers are off to a good start. Veterans such as Crowder, Weber, Payton, and Alkins are mixing well with youngsters such as Jaxson Hayes, Jalen Smith, Deng Adel, and Eric Mika. Ojeleye and Patton continue to be the steady heart and soul of the entire operation. Will a little roster-bolstering be enough to get Indiana into the playoffs for the first time in many, many years?
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Re: Pacers Push for Playoffs, Add Jae Crowder

Post by Jestor »

Jae Crowder just in time to play us. Oof. Interesting that you're tripling down on the defense.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

He's a really good pickup but you guys are impressing and with the assets you have, I thought you would have gone after a Bagley or better to make a serious run.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

bt wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:30 am He's a really good pickup but you guys are impressing and with the assets you have, I thought you would have gone after a Bagley or better to make a serious run.
I thought about going in for Bagley (probably with the WAS 1st), but I got concerned about what it would mean for cap flexibility going forward. I prefer staggering the salaries of Ojeleye & Patton, then Hayes, then that exciting WAS 1st coming up. Keep the assembly line running rather than put all my chips on the table, ya know?
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Oh of course. Just be careful of the dreaded treadmill a lot of teams get stuck on.

Plenty of those around :D
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

I love the Crowder addition. Hope it's enough for you guys to make the playoffs.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Just what the East needs, another team going for it :lol:

Exciting times in Indiana the team looks much better compared to last year and getting some ready to win talent now makes sense. BT has a point to be careful and not to end up in the odd middle but there is still good young talent and picks in stock for you.

I like the Crowder type of player. Against the top teams you just need some pesky defender or they will just kill you.