League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Clippers Season Preview: Uncharted Territory

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

The Outlook:

As the 2026-27 CSL season begins, we enter uncharted territory for Dylan and the Los Angeles Clippers. After taking over the team with a pretty much bare cupboard, Dylan took a long-term approach. He made trade after trade and made it clear that no one is safe until he feels there's a winning core in place. If you came to the Clippers, you leased your home and didn't buy, because you could be traded at any time.

Now? Some of these guys should feel pretty comfortable with buying a home. For the first time in this regime, the Clippers feel they have something real. A controversial off-season trade made that clear, as they traded last year's #2 pick Cam Reddish and this year's #7 overall pick (Donta Hall) for Isaiah Cousins and Richard Solomon.

Some said Cousins wasn't good enough to warrant that return. Are they right? Maybe. The Clippers, they feel otherwise, and Cousins' 34 points per game average in 23 preseason games may just prove that the Clippers weren't totally off base here.

While the team is aware the points per game can be an empty stat and don't necessarily directly correlate to winning basketball games if you don't play the right way, the team believes that Cousins preseason is no fluke. After watching the Spurs nearly win the title with Tery Rozier on a very high usage rate with solid shooters and defense around him, the Clippers have a plan. They have a strategy and a playstyle they believe in and a core they feel can take them to the next level.

The Offseason Moves:

The Clippers made a number of significant moves in the offseason that indicated a shift in expectations and a desire to compete in the postseason this year. Some Clipper front office favorites saw themselves shipped out of town in moves that turned some heads.

Trade #1:
Cam Reddish, #7 overall pick, Myles Turner and Joshia Gray for Isaiah Cousins and Richard Solomon

The most controversial of the trades, many felt the Clippers severely overpaid for this trade. That said, trades can't get truly judged until after some basketball games are played. So far, while preseason can be meaningless, the returns look much better than some may have expected. The Clippers were very competitive during the preseason finishing 14-9 (with at least 5 games featuring a fake lineup), and it was spearheaded by Cousins. He will be the center of the Clippers offense, and the team encourages others and its fans to give it a couple of seasons before truly judging this trade. On the other hand, Solomon provides a strong veteran presence as well as some solid defense from the center position.

Trade #2:
Luke Kennard for Zach Collins and Royce O'Neale

A tough one for the Clippers to pull the trigger on, they shipped out front office favorite and elite marksman Luke Kennard for shot-blocking extraordinaire Zach Collins and a 3&D role player in Royce O'Neale. With Cousins and Zach LaVine taking up the majority of the shots, and the Clippers desire to add some extra rim protection, this deal came together quickly. With the salaries being pretty dead even, and adding an extra rotation piece in O'Neale as well, this was an easy deal for the Clippers despite their love for Kennard.

Trade #3:
D'Angelo Russell for Julius Randle

This deal was technically at the beginning of the season, but still counts here. Russell was the Clippers starting point guard last season and while provided a solid scoring output, was a turnover machine and struggled from three. With Cousins and LaVine dominating the ball, as well as the Clippers bringing in free agent point guard Ish Smith, Russell was a piece that just wasn't needed any longer. Randle on the other hand, provides a scoring output from a big man position the Clippers currently lack, and is a very good rebounder, an area the Clippers are pretty weak in.

The Rotation:

As the Clippers season begins, the starting lineup and rotation is fluid. The foundation will remain intact, but the plan is to be experimental and try different combinations until the right mix is found. Early in the season, the rotation shapes out like this:

PG: Isaiah Cousins | Ish Smith
SG: Zach LaVine | Bojan Bogdanovic | Jerome Robinson
SF: Mikal Bridges | Royce O'Neale | AJ Davis
PF: Rui Hachimura | Richard Solomon | Jordan Mickey
C: Julius Randle | Zach Collins | Chris Boucher

The center position is what is expected to be the most fluid. The plan is to start with Randle at center, but Collins and Solomon will surely see time there as well.

The Clippers don't shy away from the expectations they set on themselves by these trades. There are skeptics around the league (looking at you, Jon), but there's a belief within the organization that hasn't been there previously. The Clippers believe they're a playoff team, and a piece or two away from title contention. It's time to see if they are full of shit.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Re: Clippers Season Preview: Uncharted Territory

Post by OneNole »

With so many low usage guys on your team, Cousins may do wind up doing well. I am a big fan of Rui and Bridges but while liking the trade of Randle at first, I am beginning to wonder if that was a good trade for you.

Being in such a difficult division, its hard to consider yourself a contender currently and with the impending free agency in the next two seasons for Bridges and Rui (both who I expect to get max or near max) this would have been a prime year to have 23+ million in cap and really build around your core.

I think you all should be a lock for the playoffs and will likely fall anywhere between 5th and 7th in the conference depending on conference injuries.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

OneNole wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:02 pm With so many low usage guys on your team, Cousins may do wind up doing well. I am a big fan of Rui and Bridges but while liking the trade of Randle at first, I am beginning to wonder if that was a good trade for you.

Being in such a difficult division, its hard to consider yourself a contender currently and with the impending free agency in the next two seasons for Bridges and Rui (both who I expect to get max or near max) this would have been a prime year to have 23+ million in cap and really build around your core.

I think you all should be a lock for the playoffs and will likely fall anywhere between 5th and 7th in the conference depending on conference injuries.
Yeah, I still have at least 20mill in space, with potential for up to 40 even after the trade. Wouldn't have made it if I didn't still guarantee at least a max spot.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Yea, I am not sure how much of a hold Bridges will have. You have 18m if Bridges is renounced, I forget how rfa's are calculated. I think in the NBA its supposed to be 250% of their prior year salary, but I dont think its used properly here so you may get help in that regard.

But I think I would still rather have the 30+m as opposed to 15 and the 4 extra wins that Randle may potentially add. Just for the pure added flexibility with trades and free agency that it would allow.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

i think the clippers will be underrated this year by many and they could even beat us for a playoff spot if everything go right ..

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

The clippers have a really strong team. Cousins is a max player making 8m/year. I can see them finishing 5th-7th. pelicans/lakers/trailblazers and anyone else in the west who is trying to win games will be fighting for the last spot.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Silogical wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:54 pm The clippers have a really strong team. Cousins is a max player making 8m/year. I can see them finishing 5th-7th. pelicans/lakers/trailblazers and anyone else in the west who is trying to win games will be fighting for the last spot.
This

I think the change of direction started last year with the trade for LaVine, I was not totally sure back then what to make of it but he was playing very good bball the rest of the way and the team did good as well.
Seeing that, it makes sense to double down and bring in Cousins who has the skill to lead a team to the playoffs. Having the likes of Collins, Rui and Bridges besides them is where it comes together imo. Good balance.

Similar to Brett i think it could be the hardest to use Randle the right way, he always looked like he will take away a lot of shots. But off the bench he could be a force.

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

I'm a fan of the roster construction. I actually really like your bench unit too: lots of experience and proven vets at all 5 bench spots means you can hang with tough teams and your 2nd unit should rarely get outplayed. If Cousins can stay healthy and truly be Rozier/Joseph 3.0 then yea, why not playoffs??
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

This is a really good example of how to avoid the treadmil. I think most GMs wouldve rode Hall and reddish into 9th place for the next 5 seasons. You want to be at the bottom(max 1 or 2 years) or a contender the clippers have done a great job avoiding the middle.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

He's going to get so much usage with you guys that he's going to be top 3 MVP this season for sure.

At the time I think people thought it probably favoured me but I think this will turn out to be a really good trade for both of us.

Clippers look really good right now too just adding to an already crazy Pacific division (come on Phil, join us :D )
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Probably the most underrated team in the league, I'm curious to see how Lavine does beside a ball dominant PG in Cousins but I think it'll work as the rest of the supporting cast are mostly low USG% players who won't shoot much. I really like the defense at the 3/4 positions and Randle should thrive as a small ball 5. The bench is pretty good as well - Ish/O'Neale/Collins is a nice bench rotation and the deep bench is decent as well. All Bridges has to do is space the floor and defend, and in the West that should be enough for a playoff spot.
Ball is Life.