League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

BI's Spotlight #24 - CrownEliteUL

Write updates about your team or the league here.
blackice
Chairman of the Board

BI's Spotlight #24 - CrownEliteUL

Post by blackice »

This will be the twenty-forth in a series of articles spotlighting different GM's in the league and picking the brains of the braintrust here in the league. Each one will have customized questions that vary in terms of detail and intention. Some will be directly tied to the GM's team, some will be more directed to the league as a whole - all will relate in some form or fashion to basketball. Each article is worth scouting points for a full Insider article. The twenty-forth interview is with CrownEliteUL, so let's kick this off.

1. How did you discover basketball, and additionally, how did you discover the CSL?

I discovered basketball at a very young age. I grew up in Philadelphia Pa which is a very sports oriented city. My uncle and I would always watch sports together. When I was in grade school, Allen Iverson was huge and I started to watch basketball more than most other sports. Also growing up playing pick up games and games with my friends are some of my best memories. As for the CSL, my good friend Andrew (who is the current GM of the Knicks) told me about an opening with the Nuggets and Jason Tatum. So I came and took a look, and then accepted his invite of trying out my luck in the CSL. I love to compete I love sports so the CSL seems like the perfect place for me right now.

2. Why Brooklyn, did you have the option to take another team? What made you take the Nets?

I was planning on becoming the GM of the Denver Nuggets. Building around Jason Tatum
with a boat load of cap space was extremely intriguing and I'm a firm believer in team sports. When the Nets were also looking for a GM, I couldn't help but notice I had a few nice pieces to build around. Rather than just building around Tatum, I felt the nets had a more complete team. Deandre Ayton looks like an exceptional young talent while being a defensive juggernaut, he's also a post game monster. You pair that with the high ceiling of potential that SGA brings to the table and you have a solid team you can start to build around

3. What's the play this season, is it a rebuilding year or are you looking to contend?

Like I said earlier, between SGA, Ayton, Austin, and a couple of other nice offensive pieces I believe we have a solid starting 5 with some bench depth and young players with some upside. We should be able to make a playoff run at the very least. But as a GM I'm always in building block mode, whether it's scanning the trade block, keeping tabs on other teams moves etc if need be... the idea is always to get better while hopefully striding towards the ultimate goal. My hopes for the season have been discussed with my staff and team, Though we know that we are in store for a significant learning curve, we have a goal, we have a plan, and the expectation is to execute it.

4. Who is the franchise player if you had to choose only one between Ayton and SGA?

With the importance and impact that Ayton and SGA have to this team, city, and league, you can't answer that. Each are way to good, they compliment each other way to well for anyone to say either of them is more of a franchise player than the other. They're both young, they both have an exceptional amount of potential, a huge ceiling. We just gave Ayton the big contract, SGA is locked down on his rookie deal still and we fully expect him to earn a nice deal for himself when that time comes. Really we could just revisit one of your earlier questions, on why did I chose the nets, and that's because I see SGA, and Ayton both as strong cornerstones. Any GM would love to build a team around, Brooklyn and I are fortunate enough to have both and all of their potential on one team. I'm extremely excited to get to work with these guys we can really see how far we can go and how dominant they can be for years to come.

5. What is your approach to team building? Do you think you'll be more of a trade oriented GM or one who builds through the draft and free agency?

I would like to think as myself as someone who takes an aggressive approach to team building. I try to be active on all fronts, depending on what our needs may be. If my gut is telling me we need to head in a certain direction or we need to stand firm and ride a rough patch to greener pastures than that's the approach we will take. I'm confident in myself to recognize problems and recognize when and if a change in a particular direction is necessary. Since filling the GM vacancy I've already made some moves, the addition of Jackson to fill the void at the small forward position, moving Pascal out, just really talking to the players letting them know my thoughts on weight loss, game plans. I'm really trying to imprint a culture here, lay the ground for a solid foundation, letting the staff as well as the players buy into the Idea that we all are building something here, we're all working towards a mutual goal, and the only way any of us can get to that goal is if we work
together.

6. If you had to identify one team/GM that you look up to or admire who would it be?

Well I don't think I've been here long enough yet where I could actually answer that question, but like I've stated in one of your previous questions I do know Andrew the Knicks GM, also the Hawks GM has really helped me along the way with questions or just kind of letting me know how things are done as well as the Pistons GM and I'm really thankful to all 3 for the help and guidance.

7. Finally, what's the plan with this roster in terms of what you'd like to do? Are there players you want to keep vs players you want to trade?

I like where we are at, atm we don't have any pressing trade discussions going on, the seasons here and I feel good about who we have on the roster, barring an offer I can't refuse or a major injury I'd say its safe to say this is the roster we will start, and hopefully finish the season with, and in the off season I can revisit that decision and see where we are at then. I'd like to also say I'm excited with who we have on this roster and really have a just confidence in this team, I'm really optimistic that we are going to have a great and satisfying season.

I hope you enjoyed this look into yet another integral player of this league, and if you are interested in being interviewed please express your interest either in this thread or a PM if you prefer. It'll be first come first serve, and I'll gauge interest and go from there.
Ball is Life.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Re: BI's Spotlight #24 - CrownEliteUL

Post by emplep7 »

This is a roster that has underperformed a little recently, but with the talent you have this should be a playoff team. Your division is pretty strong though now and the East is just tough in general, but I'm hoping to see the Nets in the playoffs this season.

Good luck man!

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

The nets were left in a good position. Josh Jackson has been a pleasent surprise, and he fits in nicely. Nice pick up for cheap.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

The Ayton/SGA pairing is indeed of the best young player combos the CSL can offer and I like your ideas how you intend to go forward and develop this team.
Looking forward to the BKN-NY fights :-)

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Another good read BI.

The Nets have had this serious duo that now looks to really step up and as a GM, you're inexperienced but definitely seem to be keen and committed and that's key if you want to win around here.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027