League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Nole Chance? Nuggets Season Preview

Write updates about your team or the league here.
OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Nole Chance? Nuggets Season Preview

Post by OneNole »

The Nuggets? A team that hasnt won 50 games since 2014? Of all of the teams available this offseason, why would heralded GM OneNole choose to take on the Nuggets? Thanks to Myles great GMing, OneNole was eager to do just that.

The Beginning
After an extended 2 year retirement, OneNole began to regain the itch to get back into the team building aspect of GMing. While concerned that he wasn't quite ready for the daily lineup adjusting, OneNole was able to strike a contract with the Phoenix Suns that provided OneNole almost full trade autonomy. What could have been better he thought, pairing up with another elite GM to create hopefully the first dynasty in the CSL.

Things didn't remain harmonious for long. First dissent came at the trade deadline when GM OneNole, had two trades lined up that would have guaranteed the Suns a trip to the CSL Championship. But Greenbear was no where to be found, instead was out galivanting through the night. And then followed the draft where disagreements surrounded the two on who to select.

https://twitter.com/PHLEaglesNation/sta ... %2F2164350
Video above, showing the reaction GM OneNole had after the selection of Brantley over his desired choices

Tampering?
After league admins originally reached out to OneNole into taking the Brooklyn GM gig, when word leaked of their draft fiaco, admins again reached out to pushed hard for OneNole to take the Nuggets position. Stating "Greenbear may get mad, but he will be fine on his own."

Greenbear was quick to lash out during the Nuggets hiring announcement. "I want it on record that I did not give my permission. This is blatant tampering by the league :x"

The Relaunch
With clever GMing by former GM Myles brough the Nuggets a top 5 player, 40 million in cap, and a blank slate to turn this team into OneNoles image was too much to pass up. Even if only on a temporary basis.

OneNole entered the offseason, with two goals. Playing with an aging roster, he wanted to find a couple good running mates for Tatum but as free agency began, Denver soon realized that despite playing with a top 5 player, the Nuggets did not have enough of a winning pedigree to swoon these free agents.

Quickly, they changed focus, to price drive as many free agents as they could while ensuring they would continue to have 2 max free agent slots in 2 years. OneNole believed that he could build a team capable of winning 50 games the next two seasons and with two max slots they would be a very attractable destination. Especially if the league follows through with removing restricted free agency.

Defense First
Like a typical OneNole team, he focused primarily on defensive first guys that would fit around Tatum. The moves as followed:
Signed Jalen Brunson: 18 ppg 6 apg 1.8 steals 40% from 3
Stole Aaron Gordon from Orlando: 13 ppg 7 rebounds 1.4 bpg 1.1 spg 77 def
resigned Andre Drummond: 74 def 64 block 89 orb still a top tier defensive big
resigned Victor Oladipo: 76 def 65 steal
Traded for Jae Crowder: crowder led the team with 65 TS% to go along with 2 steals per game
Signed Tyler Ennis to man to backup PG spot
Loaded up the bench with defensive minded guys in SG Jakarr Sampson, SF Sam Thompson, PG De'Anthony Melton, C Gorgui Dieng, PF Branden Dawson, and scorer Tim Quarterman.

Brunson Effect
Jalen Brunson, one of the prized price driving free agent acquisitions for the Nuggets was the source of much controversy. While noted he wasnt the Nuggets first choice, OneNole is thrilled to have him as a young running mate next to Tatum. A player, who if continues to hit the 3 like he did last season and in the preseason should be a perfect fit next to Tatum.

"Bottom tier contract, for a non special player" quoted by a GM that misses more times than not
"huge payday for average pg" quoted another gm
"A max? Myles be spinning in his CSL grave" quoted another respected GM

Originally planning on heading back to Phoenix after free agency, OneNole decided to stay on until a permanent GM can be found to ensure Brunson proves to the naysayers that he was worth the contract. Early indication in preseason is that he will play up to his contract.

Brunson continued from last season success averaging 17.3 ppg 6.7 apg 3.7 rpg and 1.7 steals in just 31 minutes shooting a career high from the floor and averaging a 92.5 stop. With continued tweaking to his instructions there is no doubt we feel he can get close to 20 ppg and continued increases to his efficiency.

Outlook Image
The Nuggets enter the season feeling confident that they are team in prime position to runaway with the division. Barring any major injury to Tatum or Brunson, they feel they should lock away a top 4 seed and with the explosiveness of Tatum, should be a team that no one would want to face in the playoffs.

Are the Nuggets primed for another meddling 40 win season? Nole chance

PG: Jalen Brunson/Tyler Ennis/De'Anthony Melton
SG: Jae Crowder/Victor Oladipo/Tim Quarterman/Terance Mann
SF: Jayson Tatum/Sam Thompson/Jakarr Sampson
PF: Aaron Gordon/Branden Dawson
C: Andre Drummond/Gorgui Dieng/Sim Bhullar
Last edited by OneNole on Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Re: Nole Chance? Nuggets Season Preview

Post by KW »

aside from the Brunson contract, I loved your offseason. Well-built team

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

I think this team won the off-season personally. I think I'm in the rare contingent that I think Brunson is going to be a stud PG in the league and will be a great second scorer behind Tatum (something the team needed). You should make the playoffs regardless and might be a surprise top 4 team.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

What a puff piece for Brett 🙄. So much fake news in here, but that Twitter link is pretty accurate on how a couple of our draft pick selections went down lol

But I do think the nuggets had a good off-season.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

I see the Nuggets as a team who can definitely make the playoffs. Coming into a situation with major cap space and a top 3 player, they did okay this off season. Brunson I like and they got lucky to get him. So he's definitely a piece.

Maybe a 2nd round team, depending on how everyone meshes together.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

top 5 team in the west for sure, and with the suns and kings getting weaker 1st is possible.

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

Ive always been a fan of Brett's team composition and i think they did a fantastic job during the Offseason. I expect them to be a locked Playoff team.
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Tatum by himself basically guarantees a pretty good offense and I like the Brunson move a lot to give him a solid #2 option. The rest of the roster is pretty much built around defense which makes a ton of sense and I could see this team doing well in the West this upcoming season.
Ball is Life.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

I'm a fan of the Brunson move. He's essentially a better version of what I was hoping Cam Payne would be when I traded for him. I could see Brunson/Tatum being like a late 2000s Carmelo/Chauncey Billups vibe, where Brunson is the clear #2 but he's capable of carrying the load when necessary. Jae Crowder, Aaron Gordon, Drummond, Oladipo, Dieng are all the perfect type of role players to put around Tatum and Brunson.

Much like when I left the league and the Dallas Mavericks years ago, and Brett came in to turn the team into an actual winner, I hope the same happens here in Denver but with a title and an MVP trophy for Tatum in the future.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Myles wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:59 pm I'm a fan of the Brunson move. He's essentially a better version of what I was hoping Cam Payne would be when I traded for him. I could see Brunson/Tatum being like a late 2000s Carmelo/Chauncey Billups vibe, where Brunson is the clear #2 but he's capable of carrying the load when necessary. Jae Crowder, Aaron Gordon, Drummond, Oladipo, Dieng are all the perfect type of role players to put around Tatum and Brunson.

Much like when I left the league and the Dallas Mavericks years ago, and Brett came in to turn the team into an actual winner, I hope the same happens here in Denver but with a title and an MVP trophy for Tatum in the future.
Wouldn't have been possible to build without your long term vision. Hopefully losing Payne won't be too large of a detriment.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

I think upgrading from Payne to Brunson more than makes up for losing Payne.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Getting Brunson (even with an overpay) and Gordon was huge for the development of the team.
Keeping the financial flexibility equally important.

Job well done. I have the Nuggets #5 in the West so far but who knows what else you are up to :-)

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Great offseason for this team, as you’ve surrounded Tatum with a good PG in Brunson, and used all the cap space to surround them with good defenders as well.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Yeah the contract isn't something a lot would do but you need to do that to steal talent in FA so had to be done.

Great off season for the Nugs.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Damn I really wanted Jakarr Sampson and Sam Thompson.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present