League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

The Road to The Finals

Write updates about your team or the league here.
cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

The Road to The Finals

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

The Warriors are in the finals...

While it may be unexpected, the time has come for the Golden State Warriors. After defeating the Houston Rockets, Sacramento Kings, and Phoenix Suns in the West, the Warriors are travelling to Miami to challenge the Heat for the CSL Title. The Head are a juggernaut team who had 66 wins in the regular season and are led by MVP Ben Simmons. With those 66 wins, the Warriors will not have homecourt advantage for the third series in a row. This is a particularly interesting series as the Warriors core two, PJ Dozier and Jake Layman, were both fairly recent members of the Heat.

Now, lets take a look at the past two years to see how the Warriors when from the lottery to the finals with 10 key moves.

Key Move #1: Former GM cyrisnite Set The Foundation
When GM cb4raptorscb4 came into Golden State, there was a couple of key players, some draft picks, and a slew of upcoming cap space. As a new GM, you couldn't ask for much more. From that roster, PJ Dozier, Henry Ellenson, and Tomas Welsh are the remaining pieces.

Key Move #2: Warriors Draft Coby White and Zhaire Smith

The first order of duty for the new GM was to figure out who to draft with their two lottery picks. The Warriors ended up draw #11 and #14. Their two targets after endless scouting and research at #11 were Devonte Graham and Coby White. After Graham was selected at 8, Golden State was able to nab White at 11. There's been a lot of growing pains with both White and Smith, but the Warriors stuck to the course and let them develop and now it's paying dividends. White is averaging over 10 apg in the playoffs and Smith has the potential to drop 20 off the bench any night, though efficiency is still a double edge sword with him.

Key Move #3: Re-Sign Henry Ellenson
Ellenson was coming off a season where he averaged 15.6 ppg and 7.6 rpg on good percentages, including from three. No other teams really went after Ellenson in free agency, so the Warriors locked him up early on a 5 year deal. Though he has seen his role move to the bench this year as the Warriors accumulated more talent, Ellenson is still a key piece to the puzzle as a stretch big man.

Key Move #4: Golden State Trades 2026 1st Round (POR) and a 2nd Round Pick to Indiana for Chimezie Metu and Dillon Brooks
After scouting the landscape of the league, GM cb4raptorscb4 found an underutilized big man in Indiana by the name of Metu. A potential defensive anchor who can also score in the post had him salivating. It took trading a 1st rounder, but Metu had just finished his rookie season and had 3 more years on his entry level deal. We had confidence the Blazers could remain a playoff team for a few more seasons with Marcus Smart, but there was some stressful times since Cleasby left and the GM seat was like musical chairs. Metu moved into the starting lineup this year and is averaging 11.3 ppg, 8.3 rpg, and 1.9 bpg. He also caused KAT in Houston all kinds of problems!

Key Move #5: Golden State Trades Mitchell Robinson to New York for Nerlens Noel
With absurd cap space, the Warriors made a move to absorb Noel's massive salary in exchange for Robinson who didn't have a future with the team. Noel was another defensive big man who could provide a veteran presence on the team. He held the starting role as Metu continued to be groomed. The Warriors even brought Noel back last offseason on a 3 year deal as an insurance policy.

Key Move #6: Swing & Miss in FA, but Sign Veterans Lillard, Thompson, and Kanter to 1 year Deals
There were a few players the Warriors were after in Free Agency, mainly Jake Layman and Aleksander Vezenkov. Both of these guys weren't really being used a ton, but they made the top of the Warriors FA list. Unfortunately we were outbid on both players, so we signed some veterans who could still play to 1 year deals instead knowing we could flip them to contenders later on that year.

Key Move #7: Golden State trades Klay Thompson to Miami for Jake Layman
This is the one. After missing out on Layman in Free Agency, which cb4raptorscb4 was fairly vocal about, the Miami GM came knocking on his door later in the season with a simple offer..."Layman for Klay?" Done. Layman was only playing 20 mpg with the Heat in the first year of his new contract, but immediately became a starter for the Warriors. He averaged 14.2 ppg last season, but took a leap this year as he led the team in scoring with 19.8 ppg, 4.4 rpg, and 3.8 apg. He's continued putting up nearly identical numbers in the playoffs so far.

Key Move #8: Golden State trades Dillon Brooks and 2026 2nd Round Pick to Washington for PJ Washington
The Warriors actually were a fan of Brooks ability as a 3&D player, but one noticeable issue during the season was the lack of rebounding. The opportunity to acquire PJ Washington from the Miami Heat (another one!) in 3 way deal with the Wizards came up. Though undersized, Washington became the best rebounder on the team and has proven his worth in a bench role.

Key Move #9: Golden State trades Damian Lillard and 2025 2nd round pick (UTA) to Washington for Marquese Chriss
The Wizards were looking for a guard and flexibility and the Warriors had been holding onto Lillard right up to the deadline. Once the opportunity to get Chriss came into the picture from Houston in another 3 way deal, Lillard was packing his bags after playing amazing for the Warriors in the first half of the season. This was part of sticking to the plan, regardless of how well Klay and Lillard were playing. Chris, like Metu, also moved into a starting role this season and has not disappointed. Though there are some consistency concerns, he puts up 13/7 averages in under 28 minutes a night and has reworked a three point shot into his arsenal.

Key Move #10: Re-Sign PJ Dozier
This one was a no brainer, but the Warriors re-signed PJ Dozier. The true pillar of the team, there was no doubt Dozier would be back. The timing of his signing may have actually taken the Warriors out of the Stanley Johnson Jr battle with the Pistons in FA, but here are today regardless. No regrets.

Hope you enjoyed!
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Re: The Road to The Finals

Post by Stockton12 »

Good building the team ..i think it was me that gave you key move #5

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Great job dude. Looking back, some of those deals were in your favor by a landslide.
Clown.Show.League

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

That is a lesson of excellent team building!

You guys have a great season, enjoy the finals. Two really good teams are battling it out.

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

A seriously impressive run. You did a tremendous job building this team and are the easy GMoTY in my opinion

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Great job right there. I love when GMs have a PLAN, and it's so easy to see yours, you even got to quickly explain it. Well done!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

What a great job with the retool. Dozier + Layman are both players who thrive in this engine and you did a great job recognizing that and capitalizing.

The Metu trade was an interesting one. He's been rock solid for you guys but has weaknesses in his game and is pretty much at his potential. But he pairs well with Layman/Dozier by being a low usage guy. That pick ends up being #19, which is a little lower than I was hoping but still solid, especially considering Metu was #21 two years ago. A pretty even deal imo that helped you make your first run, big congrats there!
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Yeah, you've clearly done a great job and have put together a great road map for some of these middle of the road teams that you don't need to always sell the farm and restart to get over the hump. I love the Metu trade as I was big on him when he was coming out of the draft and with the Clips, but all of the trades have paid off (especially that Layman deal).

Great job and looking forward to this series! We will also get a new champ regardless, which is always exciting for the league.

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

TheTwoWallaces wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:06 pm What a great job with the retool. Dozier + Layman are both players who thrive in this engine and you did a great job recognizing that and capitalizing.

The Metu trade was an interesting one. He's been rock solid for you guys but has weaknesses in his game and is pretty much at his potential. But he pairs well with Layman/Dozier by being a low usage guy. That pick ends up being #19, which is a little lower than I was hoping but still solid, especially considering Metu was #21 two years ago. A pretty even deal imo that helped you make your first run, big congrats there!
Oh for sure. I think it was a fairly even trade and even now it's one of those ones where you won't know who the winner is for another 2-3 years likely.

My favourite part of that trade is that I was able to turn that Portland pick into my starting frontcourt (Metu and Chriss)

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm no DDS genius btw.. definitely got somewhat lucky that the team has gelled really well!
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Really nice job of building this team. It's solid move after solid move that kept stacking on itself and over time turned you into a great team. Just shows that you don't necessarily need a blockbuster type move to get your team to the finals. The Layman trade definitely stands out in hindsight, but at the time a number of people thought he was overpaid. And I don't think even the supporters thought he would become the 20 ppg guy he is now. But for the most part it just shows a methodical build by making one right move after another, even though none of them were earth-shattering at the time.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Short turnaround time. I see your team has two all star caliber players, which you got 1 for basically nothing. That's a great deal. And you don't lose trades, which is cool.

I do think luck did play a factor into how you managed to reach the Finals. But here's your chance. Anything can happen. Just injure Ben Simmons and the title is yours. Haha
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Just a great GM doing great things and it is paying off.

Playing against you guys and having Dozier who goes inside and Layman who burnt us outside is a strategy nightmare if you don't have defensive stoppers.

This team should show other teams how anything can happen with solid move after solid move.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

A solid all-around team who was able to take advantage of the injury issues other teams had in the postseason. Shows the value of good depth and no real weak links in the starting lineups, even if there's no bona fide megastar as such on the squad.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Regardless if you win or lose in the finals this is one of the most impressive runs from a team I've ever seen - well done!
Ball is Life.

Cyrisnyte
General Manager

Post by Cyrisnyte »

Glad to see you do so well with the Warriors! Appreciate the nod, but it was all you man. You took a team I hovered at .500 (or under) with and turned them into a force! Keep up the amazing job.
Harrison -- Young --- ZDK --- AA --- WCJ
Duval -- O'Neale -- Okeke -- Reid -- N'Diaye