League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

DDS19 Defensive Sets

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

DDS19 Defensive Sets

Post by emplep7 »

Since we have the Offensive Sets listed here, I figured we should post the Defensive Sets as well for anyone who doesn't have the game. See below and let us know if you have any questions.

STRAIGHT - Basic Man to Man Defense with no adjustments

SWITCH - Pick and Rolls will be switched nullifying the pick and roll while possibly leaving a poor matchup.

ATTACK - Defenders will attack the perimeter helping to reduce three point attempts and allowing for more drives to your interior defense.

PASSIVE - Defenders will protect the paint area more by sagging off defenders. This will reduce drives and post passes but allow more outside shots.

Additionally, you can set up to 5 of your players to defend specific players/positions (Perimeter or Post Player) from the opposing teams. This helps if you have strong defenders.

You still have the same sliders available as before: PACE, FCP, DI, ZONE Offensive Rebounding, Defensive Rebounding, etc, but depending on your defensive set it will ignore some of those sliders in favor of that set (i.e. if you play ATTACK and your zone is set to 1 it will ignore that and still zone the other team). We will post more clarity on this during the off-season from our default file testing.

Ramcus
CEO

Re: DDS19 Defensive Sets

Post by Ramcus »

emplep7 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:19 pm (i.e. if you play PASSIVE and your zone is set to 1 it will ignore that and still zone the other team). We will post more clarity on this during the off-season from our default file testing.
That doesn't make sense. If you play PASSIVE and your zone is set to 1, you wouldn't zone the team at all. You'd want to set "zone" to 5 or up, depending on how much you want to zone them up.

And just for clarification purposes, does the game ignore your philosophies if your defense/offense goes against the philosophy? Or do they work together in some way? Specifically, in what way does philosophy and offense/defense sets work together? Is there a priority of sorts, where the game would consider philosophy first, and then scheme? Is it the other way around?

For example, if you play a 9 zone but your defense is "attack," would your team be more likely to zone or more likely to attack?
If you play a 1 zone but your defense is "switch," you'd automatically just play a switch-heavy system with a bunch of man defenders, and no zone. But those aren't necessarily contradictory.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Would be interesting to see what is the best use of these defenses?

Attack - looks like helps with Perimeter oriented offenses that run whatever offensive sets shoot more from Mid, COR, ATB

Passive - more for teams with good inside game that runs offense high in Post attempts

Switch - Don't get this one. There are multiple offenses, i.e. Perimeter if I remember correctly, that run high pick and roll. But same offense runs a Perimeter game that should be countered with Attack... so which one do you choose and why?

Straight - not sure what this means - just a default setting that you choose and hope for the best?
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

emplep7

Post by emplep7 »

Ramcus wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:12 pm
emplep7 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:19 pm (i.e. if you play PASSIVE and your zone is set to 1 it will ignore that and still zone the other team). We will post more clarity on this during the off-season from our default file testing.
That doesn't make sense. If you play PASSIVE and your zone is set to 1, you wouldn't zone the team at all. You'd want to set "zone" to 5 or up, depending on how much you want to zone them up.

And just for clarification purposes, does the game ignore your philosophies if your defense/offense goes against the philosophy? Or do they work together in some way? Specifically, in what way does philosophy and offense/defense sets work together? Is there a priority of sorts, where the game would consider philosophy first, and then scheme? Is it the other way around?

For example, if you play a 9 zone but your defense is "attack," would your team be more likely to zone or more likely to attack?
If you play a 1 zone but your defense is "switch," you'd automatically just play a switch-heavy system with a bunch of man defenders, and no zone. But those aren't necessarily contradictory.
PASSIVE is the zone defensive set in the DDS19 world, so if you play PASSIVE it wouldn't matter as much what your zone was set to. If you set your ZONE to 9 and played ATTACK, your team wouldn't zone the other team that much and would defend the perimeter.

As for your other question, the game prioritizes the Offensive/Defensive Set over the Philosophies, but they still work hand in hand to some extent.

emplep7

Post by emplep7 »

andrei wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:35 pm Would be interesting to see what is the best use of these defenses?

Attack - looks like helps with Perimeter oriented offenses that run whatever offensive sets shoot more from Mid, COR, ATB

Passive - more for teams with good inside game that runs offense high in Post attempts

Switch - Don't get this one. There are multiple offenses, i.e. Perimeter if I remember correctly, that run high pick and roll. But same offense runs a Perimeter game that should be countered with Attack... so which one do you choose and why?

Straight - not sure what this means - just a default setting that you choose and hope for the best?
Correct. If a team is playing Perimeter Focus on offense and is jacking up threes, then ATTACK is how you defend that. If a team has a great front court, but has poor outside shooting, I would play PASSIVE to stop their offense. Switch would help with a faster paced offense such as Seven Seconds or Perimeter Focus since it would eliminate the P&R which is a part of the Offensive Sets now, but will override your defensive assignments at times and Straight just means that you are letting your players take their counterparts on head to head (unless you have specific defensive assignments).

Each defense will override certain things, so you need to be sure to utilize your Philosophies in conjunction with your defensive set. As stated previously, if you set your defense to ATTACK and your ZONE philosophy to 9, your team won't zone that much and will still allow drives to the paint.

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

Still can't believe I went the entire season not knowing you could change the 'philosophies' :lol:
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

cb4raptorscb4 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:38 pm Still can't believe I went the entire season not knowing you could change the 'philosophies' :lol:
This is fake news.... ignore it lol
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Sharkn20
Senior Vice President

Post by Sharkn20 »

How would you play defensively a "Grind" offense?

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

I usually just rely on defensive intensity and zone defense for my defense, and use the set as a general default setting.

Want to pack the paint? Go Passive, high zone, and whatever defensive intensity, depending on what you run.

Wanna attack 3 point shooters? There are different ways depending on your personnel. You might want to go attack set, or if you can afford to switch PnR's entirely, just run a switch set.

A straight defense is pretty straight forward, but interestingly it works well a lot of the time.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present